Author Topic: Which rear light for very dense fog and daylight?  (Read 17908 times)

321up

• 59° N
Which rear light for very dense fog and daylight?
« on: 04 November, 2015, 08:12:26 am »
i.e. it needs to have a very bright mode and ideally also a less bright mode as 2nd light when group/audax riding.  We have been using a Smart Lunar R1 for such conditions but the bracket has broken off the back of the light.

Re: Which rear light for very dense fog and daylight?
« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2015, 09:03:33 am »
Lezant dona few USB rechargeable lights, but you'd need to check it was both bright enough.and would last long enough for you.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2015, 09:10:47 am »
Lezyne do a few USB rechargeable lights, but you'd need to check it was both bright enough.and would last long enough for you.

corrected for you lol

Blackburn do some bright lights as do exposure. I am not sure if they are that good being wide but are definitely bright for narrower angles.

« Reply #3 on: 04 November, 2015, 09:19:59 am »
Dinotte 400

Pricey but good.

Areo or Moon Shield not bad, but internal rechargeable. Lezyne strip drive Pro, again internal rechargeable.

« Reply #4 on: 04 November, 2015, 11:16:53 am »
Planet X  have  Smart 1 watt clip on for £5.99 and with bracket for £8.99 atm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: 04 November, 2015, 11:21:07 am »
you can't beat having a good phaart.

Get them when they're on sale, the bleep dual version. Runs on 2 aaa batteries and very bright. States 1/2 watt but easily as bright as my 1 watt jobbies. They show through the side of the lens too, which may or may not be of any use.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #6 on: 04 November, 2015, 11:21:12 am »
i.e. it needs to have a very bright mode and ideally also a less bright mode as 2nd light when group/audax riding.  We have been using a Smart Lunar R1 for such conditions but the bracket has broken off the back of the light.

Same thing happened to my smart R1 a couple of weeks back.
Up the hills and round the bends

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #7 on: 04 November, 2015, 11:43:34 am »
If it's internal rechargeables we would be looking for usb charging.  Otherwise AAA or AA.  I'd want it to last all night on economy mode.  So many options and it's difficult to compare without practical experience or comparable specs.  Considering this one...

Strip Drive Pro (Rear)
http://www.lezyne.com/product-led-sport-strippro.php

"Economy" : 5 Lumens : 15hr
"Day Flash" : 100 Lumens : 5hr

How does the Economy 5 Lumens output compare with the Smart Lunar R1 on economy for brightness?  How does the high power brightness of these two compare?
I'll probably want to mount it on the back of a rack - presumably I'd be able to cable tie it to a metal plate?

Edit:  perhaps cable ties not such a good idea if it needs to be removed for charging  :facepalm:

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #8 on: 04 November, 2015, 11:52:33 am »

Get them when they're on sale, the bleep dual version. Runs on 2 aaa batteries and very bright. States 1/2 watt but easily as bright as my 1 watt jobbies. They show through the side of the lens too, which may or may not be of any use.

This one?...
https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBPDRL/phaart-bleep-dual-05-watt-led-rear-light

How long will it run for in flashing mode with rechargables?

We have one of these (below) and it seems to be about half the brightness of the Smart Lunar R1 1W (consistent with it being 0.5W)...
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBSTRL/phaart-booster-05-watt-led-rear-light

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #9 on: 04 November, 2015, 12:22:17 pm »

Ours broke here...

... I'm wondering what type of glue to use to stick it back together.  It's a pity they didn't design it with a slightly thicker bracket mount.  If I buy another I'll glue it before it breaks!

« Reply #10 on: 04 November, 2015, 12:38:52 pm »
Mine always break there too.

I've pretty much given up on hard plastic brackets- either silicon or bolt on to the rack.

I've no recommendations because I hate overbright rear lights. (see rants passim)

« Reply #11 on: 04 November, 2015, 01:09:23 pm »

Ours broke here...

... I'm wondering what type of glue to use to stick it back together.  It's a pity they didn't design it with a slightly thicker bracket mount.  If I buy another I'll glue it before it breaks!

Yup, mine went in exactly the same place.  I have another attached to the saddlebag and will glue that to the bracket in case it fails in a similar fashion.  The saddlebag mounting should at least provide a good degree of damping, the one that failed was frame mounted.

I replaced the broken R1 with a dynamo driven B&M secula plus.
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #12 on: 04 November, 2015, 01:23:01 pm »
Cateye Rapid X3

100 lumens on high, very bright from the side, USB rechargeable, multiple low and flashy settings.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #13 on: 04 November, 2015, 01:32:15 pm »
Ultra-bright rear lights for daytime use are common in time trialling, so a look over on TTF should give you some suggestions.  I currently use a Moon LX70, mainly because it fits on both my round and my aero seatpost.  I doubt you'll have that particular requirement but it's a good light all the same. 

Probably better for you is the Lezyne Micro Drive.  It's got a similar max brightness to the Moon (60-70 lm) but is a slightly bigger light with a larger emitting area.  Mine lasted me a couple of years.  Its economy mode is plenty dim enough for riding in groups and it's now only £23.99 on Wiggle.  In fact, at that price I may buy another one myself.

« Reply #14 on: 04 November, 2015, 02:42:02 pm »

This one?...

We have one of these (below) and it seems to be about half the brightness of the Smart Lunar R1 1W (consistent with it being 0.5W)...
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBSTRL/phaart-booster-05-watt-led-rear-light

that's the one :thumbsup:

They're easily as bright as the smart,  the 1/2 watt is misleading. I've got those too but prefer the phaarts. They last ages on duracells, haven't used rechargables in them for years now.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 04 November, 2015, 03:17:35 pm »
I rate my Radbot 1000 compared to the Smart clones for daylight.  It's a little bit brighter, and has a super-obnoxious disco mode that's just the thing for standing out in fog, snow or heavy rain.  Bracket compatible with the Smart/Phaart, and designed in such a way that gravity keeps the water out of the switch.

The sinusoidal throb mode is good at night, though for everyone who congratulates you for having a visible but non-obnoxious rear light there'll be someone complaining that it hypnotises them.  I generally switch it off and run on the B&M 4DToplight alone when riding in a group.

The Moon Comet I've got on my Brompton is also astoundingly bright, but it's a USB rechargeable affair with strictly commuter runtimes.  It's also not particualrly cheap.  The key feature is a proper saddle-rail bracket.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 04 November, 2015, 03:32:43 pm »
I can see a use for super-bright in bad weather; but flashing still seems a bad idea. 
(This last week in particular I've rued never buying very bright rears! Strongly considering something with laser/fog setting and sensible/group-friendly setting.)

Imagine if car fog-lights all flashed!

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 04 November, 2015, 03:36:01 pm »
I can see a use for super-bright in bad weather; but flashing still seems a bad idea.

Yes, it's an arms race, and much like hi-vis clothing I get a lot less idealistic about it when surrounded by texting Brummie drivers in a blizzard.

I normally eschew particularly obnoxious lighting modes, but for the two or three times a year it seems worthwhile, it's nice to have the option.

« Reply #18 on: 04 November, 2015, 04:26:37 pm »
I've had a Bontrager Flare R for a couple of months as a daytime light.
I have mixed feelings about it.
It has four modes - two daytime very bright modes, one flashing, one steady, and two less bright nighttime/battery saver modes.
It is ferkin bright in daytime mode, and would cut the mustard as as fog light in either of the daytime modes. The switch is positive, and the charging port does semi to seal nice and positively. The battery life seems good enough for me.
But
The supplied mounting options are pants if you've got luggage, and don't want to attatch it to your clothing - after market brackets are available but are a) expensive & b) made of cheese.
Its also an expensive light, if you can run to it the Dinotte 400 is probably the one to go for, if not then the Smart R1 (or clone) are very good (and I've never broken a bracket)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #19 on: 04 November, 2015, 04:58:33 pm »
Mine always break there too.

I've pretty much given up on hard plastic brackets- either silicon or bolt on to the rack.

I've no recommendations because I hate overbright rear lights. (see rants passim)

I kind of hate them (on other peoples bikes) too but in fog or daylight/twilight they give me a warm feeling.  So i will often have one as a backup.  If I can I angle it down quite severely

A couple of people have pointed out the build quality of them isn't great.  They are prone to broken brackets, water ingress etc etc
on the blog https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2014/01/04/not-so-smart-with-lights/

I keep half meaning to get a real expensive one like the Dinotte instead

« Reply #20 on: 04 November, 2015, 05:00:56 pm »

This one?...

Those lights will run all night (22.00->08.00 ) on constant so I'd expect two nights on flashing. Mine ran in constant mode on the last Manchester-Morecambe FNRttC and the reccy (when the temperature got down to ~2 deg. C). I'm using Eneloops in it.
I doesn't have a "dim" setting; constant and two flashing modes only.
I haven't managed to break any of them (I have a several of this lights) yet.

ETA:- I haven't had any drown even in torrential and prolonged rain

I'm one of the riders who finds Kim's light "hypnotic". Thankfully on MAN-MOR, I was the ride leader so it wasn't an issue  ;D

For day-light and fog riding I use small USB charged Cateye mounted on my helmet (this one:- http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/TL-LD635-R/). It has dim(ish) pulsing mode for group riding and some very bright settings as well.
I went for a small light because I wanted to put it on my helmet.
I'm not sure about run-times: I've tended to charge it when it's run down.
I always have other rear lights to rely on  ;)

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #21 on: 04 November, 2015, 06:07:29 pm »
Ultra-bright rear lights for daytime use are common in time trialling, so a look over on TTF should give you some suggestions.

They/we use  USE Exposure Flash/Flare http://www.ultimatesportsengineering.com/exposure-lights/cycle-lights-2016/flash-flare-pack, in flashing or constant mode (front flash, rear steady). They are small but have an odd bracket/cradle in which the lamp sits, cantilevering outwards. To stop them falling off (bumps) they need a zip-tie. And they have an odd size CR123 rechargeable battery (but do come with charging unit).

For audax/commuting, I run my Schmidt hub denerator with B&M's D Toplight Line Plus rear rack-mounter. Been complimented by other cyclists on its day-light visibility from several hundred yards. And it is very not-heavy at about 53g. http://www.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-ruecklicht/toplight-line-plus.html
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #22 on: 04 November, 2015, 06:19:08 pm »
I too hate excessively bright rear lights at night.  At night we mostly use these (or an almost identical clone) for good all round visibility...

CORRECTION:  The lights we use for all round visability have 7 LED's and an internal reflector behind the LED's like this...

...the internal reflector improves the light distribution.  The photo I posted before (below) shows a 7 LED light without an internal reflector which is not as good...

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LISM7LEDRE/smart-7-led-3-function-rear-light-%28inc-batt%29

... plus a dynamo rear light (e.g. Secular or TOPLIGHT Line) if fitted or if our second rear light is a Smart R1, then it will be in low power mode at night (We have at two or three rear lights fitted and use two at once in case one dies without us noticing).

Normal bicycle lights are nearly useless in daylight conditions, daylight is a lot brighter, even when foggy so a much brighter light is needed to stand out and attract attention.  We have run into some very dense patches of fog a couple of times recently and couldn't avoid some sections of main road where some morons were driving way too fast and too close together for the conditions.

« Reply #23 on: 04 November, 2015, 06:23:42 pm »

+1
I've done two night rides and think I would have used these on constant for both.
It certainly lasted a few months doing a 50 minute commute. (Maplin recharchable batteries.)

They're great for all-round1 glowiness.

I'd leave one running overnight for you, but I think I need to invest in a better battery charger as none of my batteries are lasting particularly long nowadays...

1] I think I've posted a photo somewhere with one managing to project light behind itself!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #24 on: 04 November, 2015, 06:42:43 pm »
For a mega-bright light, maybe the Hope District Plus. http://www.hopetech.com/product/district-plus-rear/
Though it costs about £100.