Author Topic: Road closure information  (Read 3991 times)

321up

• 59° N
Road closure information
« on: 30 December, 2015, 09:54:17 am »
Whats the best source for road closure information to check a DIY Audax route is not affected?

https://roadworks.org/ shows most of the few road closures that I know about (but it does not yet know about the collapsed bridge at Tadcaster).  I've not used this site before, how reliable is it?  Is there any better source of info?

Thanks.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Road closure information
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2015, 10:35:06 am »
Try either TrafficEngland or the local BBC radio site.

The disadvantage of the former is that it may not show smaller roads, of the latter that it may require you to go through several areas to cover the area covered by an audax.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #2 on: 30 December, 2015, 11:01:35 am »
Try either TrafficEngland or the local BBC radio site.

The disadvantage of the former is that it may not show smaller roads, of the latter that it may require you to go through several areas to cover the area covered by an audax.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The BBC Travel website doesn't show the road closure at Trimpley, nr Bewdley - is that road open now? (it's still closed according to https://roadworks.org/)  [correction: the bbc website does show this closure when the "Roadworks" tab is selected (the default is to show incidents - I can't see any way to show both roadworks and incidents concurrently which is required to show all road closures  :facepalm:)]

Our routes are planned to use as many small roads as possible so TrafficEngland seems to be useless for us.

« Reply #3 on: 30 December, 2015, 11:46:30 am »
Whats the best source for road closure information to check a DIY Audax route is not affected?

https://roadworks.org/ shows most of the few road closures that I know about (but it does not yet know about the collapsed bridge at Tadcaster).  I've not used this site before, how reliable is it?  Is there any better source of info?

http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp

Certainly shows the Tadcaster bridge closure.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #4 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:14:19 pm »

http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp

Certainly shows the Tadcaster bridge closure.

It's easier to scroll the map on the AA website (compared to the BBC), but the AA is not showing the minor road closure at Trimpley, nr Bewdley (I've selected Incidents + roadworks)  ???

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:29:02 pm »
The local Highways Authorities publish roadworks for their area (usually for counties - e.g. Warwickshire or Worestershire)

They will have advance notice of planned works and emergency closures etc. on their website

NOTE: Where there are planned closures for works it will frequently say "From ddmmyy for a period of 18 months, although work is expected to be completed in nn days"     This is simply the way that statutory notice system works - i.e. covering their arses if work runs over time.

Rob

« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:45:01 pm »
Whatever roadworks are happening, the contractors usually ( citation needed ) provide access to pedestrians.
Those cyclists prepared to get off and push along the pedestrian access ( citation needed ) can do so.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:58:21 pm »
The local Highways Authorities publish roadworks for their area (usually for counties - e.g. Warwickshire or Worestershire)

They will have advance notice of planned works and emergency closures etc. on their website

NOTE: Where there are planned closures for works it will frequently say "From ddmmyy for a period of 18 months, although work is expected to be completed in nn days"     This is simply the way that statutory notice system works - i.e. covering their arses if work runs over time.

Rob

I have previously tried to check a route using the local Highways Authorities websites but I found it difficult to identify what was relevant to my route, particularly for a route that crosses a number of counties.  The info is devalued if it does not accurately state when the closure will apply.  The other websites discussed on this thread probably derive some or all of their info from the highways authorities but at least they present it in a more accessible form.  It would be good to identify if any of the websites have more reliable and up to date information.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 30 December, 2015, 01:21:00 pm »
Whatever roadworks are happening, the contractors usually ( citation needed ) provide access to pedestrians.
Those cyclists prepared to get off and push along the pedestrian access ( citation needed ) can do so.

With planned works this is usually the case.  So on encountering a "Road closed $annoyingdistance ahead" I'll usually risk it, as the chances of actually having to backtrack are quite small, and there's a lot to like about getting to ride on miles of access-only road.

I can think of two occasions when there really wasn't any pedestrian access, but some bored looking men in hi-vis let me wheel the bike through their site anyway (on one occasion moving a crane so I could get past).  I expect some combination of being female, on an interesting bike in loaded touring mode probably helped, though.  At least one occasion where the site was deserted, and I was able to get through by moving a barrier.  And one where I actually had to backtrack, because the alternative was scrambling along half a kilometre of steep overgrown verge, or subjecting the bike to steaming fresh tar.

On the other hand, there's a difference between standard resurfacing or diggy hole road closures, and emergency closures due to flooding or bridge failure.  That has a much greater chance of being an actual dead end, or at least something you don't want to have to wade through partway through a winter audax.  In this case I'd assume the worst and try to route around them.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #9 on: 30 December, 2015, 01:34:33 pm »

I've come across many roadwork's where pedestrian access is not permitted, sometimes for good reason (e.g. bridge replacement), and occasionally due to a jobsworth citing health and safety policy.  Sometimes the road is blocked with security fence for no apparent reason before work has started.  Most workmen are friendly and helpful and will let you through if possible, but if I can I'd prefer to modify the route in advance to avoid road closures and unexpected diversions.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #10 on: 30 December, 2015, 02:45:30 pm »

I've come across many roadwork's where pedestrian access is not permitted, sometimes for good reason (e.g. bridge replacement), and occasionally due to a jobsworth citing health and safety policy.  Sometimes the road is blocked with security fence for no apparent reason before work has started.  Most workmen are friendly and helpful and will let you through if possible, but if I can I'd prefer to modify the route in advance to avoid road closures and unexpected diversions.

I'm reminded of a "road closed ahead" instance whilst riding LEJOG in the depths of Shropshire ... as always : "Nah, it'll be OK with a bike" .... well, there was a trench across the road with a bank of wet clay about a metre and a half high and heaped into the dense hedge both sides ... effectively impassable. 

Good luck prevailed as there was a house beside the road that had an entrance to the garden just before the trench and an exit beyond it ... wheeled the bikes through the garden to the amusement of the homeowner!

... and in France we had a missing bridge with a concrete beam about 2 feet wide to negotiate to cross with loaded bikes!

Rob

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 30 December, 2015, 03:09:01 pm »
Google Maps with the Traffic layer turned on.  It shows the Tadcaster road closure as well as "live" traffic info.

https://goo.gl/maps/mg6szbUYfXD2
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12 on: 30 December, 2015, 06:10:02 pm »
I'd guess the A93 is going to be shut for a while :o
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 30 December, 2015, 06:47:55 pm »
^70 miles of it seems a bit much....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #14 on: 31 December, 2015, 10:49:29 am »
You'll get through on a bike, no problem  :thumbsup: (via the field)
Where is it? Near Bamoral?

« Reply #15 on: 31 December, 2015, 10:58:58 am »
You'll get through on a bike, no problem  :thumbsup: (via the field)
Where is it? Near Bamoral?

A bit of CX.

« Reply #16 on: 31 December, 2015, 01:36:16 pm »

« Reply #17 on: 31 December, 2015, 02:01:30 pm »
So just take the B976 instead.  Looks a very nice road for cycling.

« Reply #18 on: 31 December, 2015, 03:17:46 pm »
It is, normally, but a bit small and twisty in places if it's also taking all of the main road traffic.