Author Topic: New and Deleted AUK Permanent Events  (Read 171116 times)

Re: New and Deleted AUK Permanent Events
« Reply #100 on: 29 August, 2017, 11:33:13 pm »
p.s. if Pete is still reading this thread:
<snip>

why 15kph, not 14.3?

Sorry not to have picked up that my perm was being discussed  :facepalm:
Personally I'd have everything (up to 600km) at 15kph minimum and do away with 14.3 in the interests of simplicity.

I do get that full-valuers (and I'm one myself - as mattc knows) can find the extra time rather helpful on the more 'scenic' rides - but my perms, whilst they do have the odd bit of lumpiness, are nowhere hilly enough to justify AAA points, and I just can't see the additional time being needed.

« Reply #101 on: 07 December, 2017, 12:26:20 pm »
.... my perms, whilst they do have the odd bit of lumpiness, are nowhere hilly enough to justify AAA points, and I just can't see the additional time being needed.

Also applies to the new "Dip Into Dorset" 200km

whosatthewheel

« Reply #102 on: 17 June, 2018, 12:14:48 pm »
With respect to BCM permanent, the outline of the route looks splendid (I am assuming it runs clockwise)... Is it possible to do it with GPS validation? (I do understand the risks involved in relying on an electronic device for a 600). Also, is it possible to start/finish in Dolgellau? Seems to make sense in order to reduce the load on the bike

« Reply #103 on: 27 August, 2018, 10:57:27 pm »
With respect to BCM permanent, the outline of the route looks splendid (I am assuming it runs clockwise)... Is it possible to do it with GPS validation? (I do understand the risks involved in relying on an electronic device for a 600). Also, is it possible to start/finish in Dolgellau? Seems to make sense in order to reduce the load on the bike
Your post has sparked my interest in doing this. Obviously your experiences this May have inspired you to revisit those roads. I have sketched out a RwGPS route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28456378  Note the 'direct' route back (via Hay) to Chepstow - links to your BCM comments in May.
On enquiry, Black Sheep has recently said: "The perm MR11 . . . route . . . controls used . . . (from a Chepstow depart/arrivee) are Usk, Rhayader, Borth, Barmouth, Caernarfon, Menai Bridge, Llanberis, Betws-y-coed, Dolgellau, Newtown, Llandrindod Wells, Hay-on-Wye, Monmouth.
The route can be ridden either direction." And he separately recognises/implies that riders can start from anywhere (as normal for a permanent - but from Devon, I would go from Chepstow). Why not ask Black Sheep directly - link on the AUK page: http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MR11/
ETA: "is it possible to start/finish in Dolgellau?" Possible, but the Snowdonia loop is only 180k and the loop SSE to Chepstow and back is 420k (which be too long for most).

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #104 on: 28 August, 2018, 01:21:26 am »
The London Orbiital Audax 300km is now available as a perm, including the St Albans Greenway section courtesy of Phil Whithurst.

For details see http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/PST04/

whosatthewheel

« Reply #105 on: 28 August, 2018, 04:33:48 pm »
Your post has sparked my interest in doing this. Obviously your experiences this May have inspired you to revisit those roads. I have sketched out a RwGPS route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28456378  Note the 'direct' route back (via Hay) to Chepstow - links to your BCM comments in May.
On enquiry, Black Sheep has recently said: "The perm MR11 . . . route . . . controls used . . . (from a Chepstow depart/arrivee) are Usk, Rhayader, Borth, Barmouth, Caernarfon, Menai Bridge, Llanberis, Betws-y-coed, Dolgellau, Newtown, Llandrindod Wells, Hay-on-Wye, Monmouth.
The route can be ridden either direction." And he separately recognises/implies that riders can start from anywhere (as normal for a permanent - but from Devon, I would go from Chepstow). Why not ask Black Sheep directly - link on the AUK page: http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MR11/

I did... he said perm card only and receipts... at that point it makes more sense for me to do the calendar event again... although the scenic route  in the perm is probably better.
Even money wise... calendar event is 45... no way I can do the perm for 45 quid

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #106 on: 28 August, 2018, 07:16:39 pm »
The London Orbiital Audax 300km is now available as a perm, including the St Albans Greenway section courtesy of Phil Whithurst.

I don't fully understand.
Assuming I validate with GPS, is it just the ferry at Gravesend (the town I grew up in, incidentally), that is absolutely time critical. ie, if shops and what not are shut at other controls is that a big cross in the validation box? Or can I just ride through and top up later on?
Rule 77

« Reply #107 on: 28 August, 2018, 08:31:59 pm »

I don't fully understand.
Assuming I validate with GPS, is it just the ferry at Gravesend (the town I grew up in, incidentally), that is absolutely time critical. ie, if shops and what not are shut at other controls is that a big cross in the validation box? Or can I just ride through and top up later on?

If you validate by GPS then you do not need to collect any receipts. So the advice is to check the ferry times. Where you stop for food etc is not relevant for validation, it just might make it easier if you were to use some of the places noted on the route sheet.

Of course, it might be prudent to collect receipts as a backup in case of GPS failure, but that's a different discussion.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Manotea

« Reply #108 on: 28 August, 2018, 08:54:46 pm »
Psyclist has  it. My expectation is most will validate by GPS as its simpler and does away with problems of collecting physical PoP, but you will still need to eat and drink. The route as written tends to avoid conurbations where possible so 24hrs refreshments opportunities are rather thin on the ground so a bit of planning is required if you plan to start from a different point or direction to the calendar event, but they are there. So for example, if you miss the shop at Leaden Roding there are late night/24hr Hour Garages and Superstores in Harlow to head for not to far off route, and the same goes for Gerrards Cross, Slough, and so on.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #109 on: 28 August, 2018, 09:41:54 pm »
Thanks all.

This is on the hitlist for sure, missed the calendar cos I was up north.
Rule 77

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #110 on: 31 August, 2018, 04:02:07 pm »
A perm version of my Thanet Platinum 200 calendar ride is now available:
http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/DK01/

The route is a bit different to the calendar ride, through necessity of controls an ting, but the general gist of it is the same.

One question that fellow perm organisers might be able to help me with: how do I add entries manually? The 'enter now' button is live on the web page, but there's no 'update start list' option on the organiser's page (only an 'edit' button, but the edit page has no link to the start list) so I can't see how to add postal entries - am I missing something obvious?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rob

« Reply #111 on: 31 August, 2018, 04:42:25 pm »

Interesting.   Missed the calendar version but could start from Hildenborough on the perm.   Might fit it in before the Winter comes.

Manotea

« Reply #112 on: 31 August, 2018, 08:41:03 pm »
One question that fellow perm organisers might be able to help me with: how do I add entries manually? The 'enter now' button is live on the web page, but there's no 'update start list' option on the organiser's page (only an 'edit' button, but the edit page has no link to the start list) so I can't see how to add postal entries - am I missing something obvious?

Traditionally Perms to be validated were returned to the Perms sec for review and processing which may be why you're not seeing the 'edit rider list' button. Time to make the case to be trusted with the magic button, but remember, 'with great power comes great responsibility'! 8)

Manotea

« Reply #113 on: 31 August, 2018, 08:43:36 pm »

Interesting.   Missed the calendar version but could start from Hildenborough on the perm.   Might fit it in before the Winter comes.

Who's going to be the first to do the double and make it a 600km ride?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #114 on: 31 August, 2018, 09:34:52 pm »

Traditionally Perms to be validated were returned to the Perms sec for review and processing which may be why you're not seeing the 'edit rider list' button. Time to make the case to be trusted with the magic button, but remember, 'with great power comes great responsibility'! 8)

Ah, I see! Well, as long as there’s an explanation and it’s not just me being stupid, that’s fine. It’s a moot point as I haven’t had any entries yet anyway.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #115 on: 30 March, 2019, 12:31:51 pm »
Starting from New Alresford in Hampshire, visit all EIGHT of the visible White Horses in Wiltshire. plus the Bronze Age original at Uffington which is (just) in Oxfordshire, and a gentle run back along the Avon & Itchen valleys

300 km Perm: Le Tour des Neufs Chevaux Blancs

A slightly contrived route with rather too many controls if you are doing it with paper Proof-of-Passage but GPS validation is available

Rode this yesterday.  I used paper proof of passage (but just for fun stopped to take very bad photos of all of the White Horses), starting from Alresford, although just for fun, rode to the start from Basingstoke.  I didn't find the number of controls too much of a bother.  It was quite hilly.  I didn't do a separate climbing count for the rider proper, but the whole thing weighed in at 4040m.  It's about 600m ascent Basingstoke - Alresford - Basingstoke, so that would make it about 3400m.  Starting from Alresford and riding counterclockwise - the first half of the ride was much hillier than the first - most of the feature hills: Shalbourne, Blowingstone, Broad Town, Hackpen, and the nasty one before Bishop Cannings all come in the first half.  There aren't that many 300 perms in the South and this one comes highly recommended.  (just wondering how to explain to people that my fantastic tan comes from Wiltshire in March).
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #116 on: 16 August, 2019, 10:31:06 am »
Thinking about a new permanent - "Who Pays the Ferryman?" 

Start and Finish would be in Selsey, Sussex, with a route that tries to pack in as many ferry crossings as possible:

Selsey - West Itchenor (ferry) - Hayling (ferry) - Gosport (ferry) - Warsash (Hamble Ferry) - Southampton Town Quay (Hythe Ferry) - Lepe Country Park (otherwise the route is slightly under distance) - Lymington (Isle of Wight ferry) - Ventnor - Fishbourne (ferry back to Portsmouth - the hovercraft is an option but as far as I can tell would require a separate ticket, whereas the WightLink return fare allows one ticket even if you take different ferries - Hayling (ferry) - Selsey (via Fishbourne and Apuldram).

The route is flat (850m ascent, with the main climbing being on the Isle of Wight) but would be challenging because of the amount of time spent waiting for or travelling on ferries (I would budget on 3 hours) so completing it in the time limit could be a challenge (as far as I understand there is no extra time waiting on ferries).  Riders would have to plan the start time carefully as the Itchenor Ferry (14km into the ride) only starts running at 9am.  Winter attempts would be a challenge as some of the ferry services are intermittent.

Thoughts welcome.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #117 on: 17 August, 2019, 02:58:41 pm »
Do you have a Chris de Burgh earworm problem?

« Reply #118 on: 19 November, 2019, 11:27:15 am »
THE ELENYDD

https://www.audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8392

HARTLEBURY (Worcs) - PRESTEIGE - LLANWRYTD WELLS - TREGARON - RHAYADER - LUDLOW - HARTLEBURY

305km
4.75AAA
Organiser: Philip Whiteman

The late Dave Pountney left an important audax legacy from his days of very popular and very challenging audaxes - The Kidderminster Killer and The Elenith.  The former continues under my helm and John Hamilton ran the later until relatively recently.

The Elenith (aka Elenydd) was too important to loose.  Mark Rigby and I have collaborated to keep his legacy going and we decided to relaunch the event in 2020.  I will be running The Elenydd as a permanent event following an approximate route to the Dave Pountney version minus some deviations whilst  Mark Rigby will be hosting Yr Elenydd as a calendar event scheduled for late April, starting from Bushley near Tewkesbury.  Please join us to celebrate a great route created by a great audax organiser, Dave Pountney.  The Elenith lives on.

The Elenydd or Cambrian Mountains have been called “The empty heart of Wales”. It is certainly the remotest, least populated, wildest area of Wales and southern Britain. A network of narrow, single-track roads cross this wilderness. We know the roads well and invite you to enter this sublime audax permanent route.  You’ll explore the Devil’s Staircase, ‘Telephone Box Hill’ and the Mountain Road through Cwymystwyth. All in addition to the relaxing pastoral landscapes of the rural Marches and Teme Valley.

- All controls have 24 hour proof-of-passage availability apart from Tregaron which is limited to 8am-11pm.  Other locations are 24 hours.

- This route is not advisable in winter or stormbound conditions.

- Travelodge hotels are available at Hartlebury & Ludlow.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #119 on: 28 January, 2020, 04:20:39 pm »
Introducing my first Audax as an organiser - 'The Pendle Witch Trial' 200. Available as a perm at present and hopefully now also a calendar event in August.

https://www.audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8556

South from Lancaster towards Chorley then a turn east for a bit of climbing through Bacup to Haworth before returning (with more climbing) to Lancaster via Wycoller, Pendle Hill and the Trough of Bowland.

Spectacular views and several lovely cycling roads. Some remote and exposed moorland areas though so please make sure you and your bike are adequately prepared.

The perm can be started at any control. 205km on the road with 3650m of ascent for 3.75 AAA.

Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

« Reply #120 on: 15 February, 2020, 09:56:32 pm »
My second perm - 'Stumped and Dented' 200 (and likely a calendar event in 2021).

Through the Forest of Bowland up and down round Skipton to Stump Cross Caverns cafe at 100km. Then some Dales loveliness via Littondale, Ribblehead and Denthead Viaducts, Dentdale and Barbondale.

Yet more spectacular views and plenty more lovely cycling roads. Still remote and exposed at times so make sure you and your bicycle are adequately prepared.

Can be started at any control. 206km on the road with 3190m of ascent for 3.25 AAA.

Audax entry page

Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #121 on: 05 July, 2020, 06:18:22 pm »
Mac:
Are these on https://perms.audax.uk/
?
I'm not saying they're not! just that I didn't spot them when scanning the area for my upcoming Oop North trip ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #122 on: 14 July, 2020, 08:54:30 pm »
Mac:
Are these on https://perms.audax.uk/
?
I'm not saying they're not! just that I didn't spot them when scanning the area for my upcoming Oop North trip ...
The Pendle Witch Trial is. Look at routes from Lancaster. I need to speak with Phil about the others.

« Reply #123 on: 04 August, 2020, 10:49:29 am »
Another new North West perm - 'The Bowland Double Cross' 200.

From Caton (nr Lancaster) ride over the Trough of Bowland then, via Downham, climb to cross the shoulder of Pendle Hill on thru Blacko to Colne.

Turn for Ribchester then climb Jeffrey Hill to Chipping before turning for the first crossing of your route nr Newton.

Climb thru Gisburn Forest before descending then climbing again to Ribbleshead Viaduct. From the viaduct, down into Settle then turn for Caton and the second route crossing nr Keasden.

Apart from short sections thru Colne and Settle the route winds its way along, up and down quiet roads with limited opportunity for refreshments between controls.

Can be started at any control. 204km on the road with 3530m of ascent for 3.5 AAA.

Audax entry page

« Reply #124 on: 05 August, 2020, 10:48:24 am »
A perm version of the yet to be run and currently postponed calender event - the pretty flat with a ferry 'Candy Floss & Ice Cream' 200.

From Longridge take the low route to Glasson Dock then turn and head for the Knott End ferry to cross the River Wyre to Fleetwood.

The ferry was suspended for a while because of COVID-19 but is now back in action. It is a small tidal ferry so please plan your start day and point to account for this (tidal sailing times here).

From Fleetwood make your way down the Prom past Blackpool Tower and Pleasure Beach to Lytham. Cycling is allowed on the Prom but please be considerate of other users.

From Lytham there a mixture of roads including NSL dual carriagways with adjacent cyclepaths. Skirt Preston and Southport to control at Formby then turn inland along quiet roads towards Chorley. This section provides the only significant climb of the day - all 110m of it!.

After getting to the A6 and the lovely Fredericks Ice Cream parlour, turn north to return to Longridge skirting Preston on the way.

Can be started at any control (but watch those ferry times!). 205 km on the road and no AAA points.

Audax entry page