Author Topic: Giro  (Read 13699 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Giro
« Reply #75 on: 19 May, 2010, 11:08:31 pm »
...with a strong-ish, disciplined team.

Talking of which, it looks like Vino and Evans are scuppered in that respect. Got to be some recriminations after today, though neither seems to have much of a team left to blame. That's got to affect their chances, surely?

Wiggo, on the other hand, is getting great support from his boys. Froome's been very impressive so far.  :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #76 on: 19 May, 2010, 11:15:58 pm »
Steve Cummings would get my vote but Froome's pulled his weight too.

The BMC team is really weak. Evans must have been jolly unhappy at Lotto to swap them for that lot. Today I did actually see that Cadel had a team mate in his vicinity, on the flat at least, which is probably the first occasion since the team time trial.
a great mind thinks alike

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #77 on: 20 May, 2010, 07:13:43 am »
Some great pictures here of the lovely ladies of the Giro...my favourite is the one with the boots and the microphone  :)  PezCycling News - What's Cool In Pro Cycling
Aero but not dynamic

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #78 on: 20 May, 2010, 01:11:33 pm »
I've utterly bewildered by the various media covering Pro Cycling these days:

can anyone kindly point me at an English language commentary (highlights package would be nice, too)? on the web I mean.

[I only have Freeview TV ].
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #79 on: 20 May, 2010, 01:46:25 pm »

can anyone kindly point me at an English language commentary (highlights package would be nice, too)? on the web I mean.

Are you after an English language text commentary on the web, or audio?  If the former, then the cyclingnews.com site has a live link with text updates throughout the stage:
   Live Report Giro d'Italia - Stage 12 | Cyclingnews.com

I don't know of any audio though.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #80 on: 20 May, 2010, 04:06:19 pm »

Giro d'Italia Live Video Streaming, Photos, Results - Guide to Live Race Coverage - Watch Cycling TV has links to live streaming video & audio (in a variety of languages), text commentary, video highlights and interviews, and anything race-related as soon as it appears on youtube. If it's not there it probably doesn't exist. A first class time-wasting resource.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #81 on: 20 May, 2010, 04:39:27 pm »
The BMC team is really weak. Evans must have been jolly unhappy at Lotto to swap them for that lo

BMC are USAian so their good team is at the Tour of the USA Tour of California
Evans has the spare parts and left overs

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #82 on: 20 May, 2010, 05:21:01 pm »
Evans must have been jolly unhappy

He looked jolly unhappy this afternoon when he was trading punches handbags with all and sundry not far from the finish.

(click to show/hide)

citoyen

« Reply #83 on: 20 May, 2010, 05:27:03 pm »
He looked jolly unhappy this afternoon when he was trading punches handbags with all and sundry not far from the finish.

I saw that but I was watching in Italian so I couldn't make out what had upset him. What was the beef?

d.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #84 on: 20 May, 2010, 05:39:00 pm »

I saw that but I was watching in Italian so I couldn't make out what had upset him. What was the beef?

d.

I think his victims (a Lampre and a Katusha rider) both had team-mates up the road with Vino's group and were sitting on the front of the peloton but understandably not putting much effort into the chase. But I may be wrong.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #85 on: 21 May, 2010, 11:21:46 am »
Thanks for the coverage tips, guys.

Watched the finish on Eurosport.com - bit jumpy, but could clearly see Cadel's "gestures" !

A radio feed would be great, but the Eurosport one seemed to be lifeless...  ???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #86 on: 21 May, 2010, 11:26:40 am »

d.

I think his victims (a Lampre and a Katusha rider) both had team-mates up the road with Vino's group and were sitting on the front of the peloton but understandably not putting much effort into the chase. But I may be wrong.
Why was Evans so keen to chase? at 11' down overall he wasn't worried about another 10 seconds was he?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #87 on: 21 May, 2010, 11:29:04 am »
A shame I couldn't wangle a business trip to Italy for today's stage as the race passes though Ancona on its way up the Adriatic coast. Our HQ is only about an hour's drive inland from Ancona airport.

a great mind thinks alike

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #88 on: 21 May, 2010, 01:23:37 pm »
David Millar's abandoned.  What a shame.

citoyen

« Reply #89 on: 23 May, 2010, 07:32:58 pm »
Boy, that looked like a seriously tough final climb today.

(click to show/hide)

d.

« Reply #90 on: 23 May, 2010, 09:15:50 pm »
Perhaps Wiggins was foxing?  Trying to do an Armstrong and psyche out his rivals for le Tour?

« Reply #91 on: 27 May, 2010, 10:16:39 am »
Evans showed his class again, but as for Basso... either that's the benefit of keeping your powder dry on the previous days or that wasn't just water in his bidons.

A superhuman feat of climbing. I really hope it was clean.  :-\

I'm afraid to say I very much doubt it.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #92 on: 27 May, 2010, 10:37:56 am »

A superhuman feat of climbing. I really hope it was clean.  :-\

I'm afraid to say I very much doubt it.
Well ...
if you read this blog (I've forgotten who linked to this, sorry) it suggests that Basso and Evans both rode with power outputs below the sort of figures calculated during "less clean" times. Which suggests they are more clean. Probably. Draw your own conclusions, I'm just supplying the data ...

On Bicycles, and.... what else is there?: running the numbers from the Zoncolan (2010 Giro d'Italia stage 15)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #93 on: 27 May, 2010, 10:48:10 am »
To be fair to Basso, he had been taking it relatively easy compared to other riders on previous stages, so probably wasn't as tired going into the stage. He gets the benefit of the doubt for now.

What is clear from this year's Giro so far is that certain riders aren't as capable of turning in those kind of performances day after day in the same way that they used to be. Which I take as a positive sign.

d.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #94 on: 28 May, 2010, 04:47:41 pm »
Have been following the text highlights on cyclingnews... I'm seriously looking forward to the highlights show tonight

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #95 on: 28 May, 2010, 06:36:20 pm »
He absolutely did

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #96 on: 28 May, 2010, 11:08:54 pm »
Just watched it.

Oh my!

« Reply #97 on: 29 May, 2010, 08:15:59 am »
I have always like Basso.  It was following an article in Cycle Sport that I decided to follow him as a rider.  Then just after that Puerto broke.  Even though I didn't know him and had never actually met him I felt very let down and disappointed.
Then he served his time and met with that bit of controversy and then he seemed to go nowhere in any of the races he entered.

But of late he is flying and doing a great job.

I just so hope it is clean.

« Reply #98 on: 30 May, 2010, 09:49:11 am »
To be fair to Basso, he had been taking it relatively easy compared to other riders on previous stages, so probably wasn't as tired going into the stage. He gets the benefit of the doubt for now.

What is clear from this year's Giro so far is that certain riders aren't as capable of turning in those kind of performances day after day in the same way that they used to be. Which I take as a positive sign.

d.

Basso has also has the obviously talented Nibali with him on alot of the mountain stages, while his rivals have been mostly alone.  Basso, Nibali and Scarponi worked really well together on stage 19, which probably clinched it for Basso, and absolutely buried themselves over the last few kilometres to gain vital seconds. It was good that the Liquigas boys gave Scarponi the win for his help.  An absolutely stunning days racing.  Made stage 20 look boring in comparison, although Evans showed he is still strong.

Cant see any major changes today though, Basso looks set to win.

I have always like Basso.  It was following an article in Cycle Sport that I decided to follow him as a rider.  Then just after that Puerto broke.  Even though I didn't know him and had never actually met him I felt very let down and disappointed.
Then he served his time and met with that bit of controversy and then he seemed to go nowhere in any of the races he entered.

But of late he is flying and doing a great job.

I just so hope it is clean.

I like Basso too, and was dissapointed when he became implicated in Puerto. Yes he has served his time, but he has been repentant (unlike Vino)   and looks to be riding clean, if the numbers are anything to go by. I'd like to see him win today

« Reply #99 on: 30 May, 2010, 10:07:05 am »
As much as it pains me to not back an Aussie ( I have never really enjoyed watching or listening to Evans ) I too would love to see Basso win.

You are dead right about the comparison between him and Vino too.