Author Topic: Inline connectors for Dynamo wire  (Read 1331 times)

Phil W

Inline connectors for Dynamo wire
« on: 17 November, 2019, 08:43:28 pm »
The wire on my B&M Cyo is too short to reach from the light mounting point on the boom to the Dynamo. Any suggestions for tool free inline connectors to another length of wire? I have plenty of spare wire around to make something long enough.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Inline connectors for Dynamo wire
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2019, 08:59:31 pm »
Tool free?  Wago connectors, wire nuts, twist-togther-and-insulating-tape and similar things I wouldn't want to use on a bike other than as a roadside bodge.

Minimal tools?  Choc blocks, butt crimps, spade connectors, jelly crimps, Tamiya connectors, Weatherpack, etc, etc.  Some crimp connectors are lot more tolerant of crappy crimping tools than others, so if you're just abusing pliers, I'd stick to the less fiddly ones.

Soldering iron?  Direct solder-and-heatshrink splice would be my preference, unless you really need the ability to disconnect.  Many connectors designed for crimping can be successfully soldered if the joint won't be repeatedly flexed (solder tends to wick up stranded cable and make it brittle).

FWIW, on my recumbents I've shortened the input wire to a similar length as the rear light output and used spade connectors to join to the cable run down to the dynamo.  The junction can be cable-tied to the light bracket, so it doesn't flap around in the breeze.

« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2019, 10:55:48 pm »
tool free? Ha ha.

You could try scotchlocks; they are utter shite, but you could try them.

FWIW you can make a very adequate soldered joint between two wires using just  a cigarette lighter and a short length of solder. Insulation can be via heat shrink or self-amalgamating tape.

cheers

« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2019, 12:10:07 am »
A google search for "solder sleeves" should see you right.  The good ones incorporate heat activated sealant (in addition to solder) to form a reliable joint  that can be formed using only a heat gun or a cigarette lighter at a push.  Most of the RAF's ageing aircraft are still happily flying around with these used as repairs... don't ask me how I now this :facepalm:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2019, 01:30:33 pm »
A google search for "solder sleeves" should see you right.

Ooh, nice.  I must get some to play with.

« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2019, 11:04:47 pm »
A google search for "solder sleeves" should see you right.  The good ones incorporate heat activated sealant (in addition to solder) to form a reliable joint  that can be formed using only a heat gun or a cigarette lighter at a push.  Most of the RAF's ageing aircraft are still happily flying around with these used as repairs... don't ask me how I now this :facepalm:

Try playing a recording of the ejector seat warning while your "mate" is working on a plane.   ;D
Just to see how fast they can move  :demon:.

Caution we had to dismantle half of the bloody plane to get our "mate" back out as he'd jammed himself into the footwell and couldn't get out.

The CO was NOT amused and it cost us 8 weeks in "jenkers"!

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 20 November, 2019, 06:23:52 pm »
Went with an inline butted crimp with built in shrink wrap and sealing glue  in the end.  All working dandy. If it fails I'll look up these solder sleeves mentioned above.