Author Topic: Flying and time difference ...  (Read 1508 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Flying and time difference ...
« on: 09 February, 2019, 09:52:33 pm »
I have confused myself trying to work out flight times (elapsed) and departure arrival times.

Can someone tell me :

Leave London at 2200 on Saturday night - 13 hour flight to Singapore - 2 hour change - 7 hour flight to Sydney.

What day and time will I be in Sydney please.   

And please explain the equation to work it out .... I think it's 13 + 2 + 7 + 11 (being time difference ahead London - Sydney)

Confused? - I am

Rob

(This might be a question for Dave, Little Wheels and Big ?)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Flying and time difference ...
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2019, 10:06:31 pm »
So 20 hours aloft and 2 hours on the ground. You'll arrive at 20:00 Sunday (London time). Add 11 hours for the time zones and that'll be 07:00 Monday in Sydney. Just in time for peak hour!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2019, 10:14:30 pm »
Thanks Dave - that's what I worked out .  Looks like travel agent has it wrong with a Sunday night departure in his schedule.

Rob

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 09 February, 2019, 10:16:35 pm »
You'll be leaving Singapore Sunday PM.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 09 February, 2019, 11:02:39 pm »
So 20 hours aloft and 2 hours on the ground. You'll arrive at 20:00 Sunday (London time). Add 11 hours for the time zones and that'll be 07:00 Monday in Sydney. Just in time for peak hour!

Oof - don't remind me - I did that schedule once, but the wrong way round because my boss was a cheapskate. Yes that's right - 11h flight to LA, 4 hour layover, then 14h flight to Sydney, in time for 10am meetings in the CBD. Niiiice.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2019, 06:41:40 am »
I've not done that one for a while, but have Thailand coming up this year. They want me to start on a Monday, which would mean flying Saturday to arrive late afternoon Sunday.  I've suggested a Tuesday start.

The most brutal I used to do regularly was London's in valorem Jakarta, followed by a three hour fixed wing flight north to an island in the south China sea, with a 4am check in the following day, followed by the chopper out to the rig. Followed by sleep
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 10 February, 2019, 09:08:52 am »

Oof - don't remind me - I did that schedule once, but the wrong way round because my boss was a cheapskate. Yes that's right - 11h flight to LA, 4 hour layover, then 14h flight to Sydney, in time for 10am meetings in the CBD. Niiiice.

Smug mode . . . those Singapore ladies should look after us when we turn left in the planes . . it's not until March 2020 so time to amass the money!

Rob

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 10 February, 2019, 09:28:30 am »
Singapore Airlines posh seats, you lucky boy.  Go for the top deck if on A380
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 10 February, 2019, 09:42:51 am »
Singapore Airlines posh seats, you lucky boy.  Go for the top deck if on A380

That had been suggested - is it like the old days on London buses when you could smoke upstairs?  ;D ;D

The long flights to/from SIN are both overnight so should be good in the beds.   

[I don't of course smoke - I'm a cyclist!]

Rob

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #9 on: 10 February, 2019, 09:53:14 am »
You can’t smoke but at 38000 feet being on the top deck makes the view so much better :-D