Author Topic: Transferring data from old to new android phone - same SIM.  (Read 2727 times)

Transferring data from old to new android phone - same SIM.
« on: 20 November, 2020, 11:12:36 am »
So I have a new android phone, and plan to just use the same SIM.  What's the best way to transfer data to new phone.   I'm inclined to start fresh with new phone, but want to transfer Whatsapp.  Possibly import selected photos from PC/HD backups.

What do others normally do, best practices, tips?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Transferring data from old to new android phone - same SIM.
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2020, 11:16:23 am »
I've sold my soul to Mr google, which means my new phone looks just like my old phone without any effort.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2020, 11:20:17 am »
Also the same for Apple. Press button. Chat to store assistant. Leave shop with updated phone.

« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2020, 11:26:30 am »
I've sold my soul to Mr google, which means my new phone looks just like my old phone without any effort.

Yep, gone google too.  Plan atm is to backup whatsapp to googledrive, then swap SIM over register gmail address.

« Reply #4 on: 20 November, 2020, 11:28:10 am »
In which case, you don't have to do nuffink. Check your phone backup settings but as default you're good to go. (And, WhatsApp servers have 100% of history unless you've deleted)

google info here https://support.google.com/android/answer/2819582?hl=en-GB

« Reply #5 on: 20 November, 2020, 11:38:12 am »
Also most Samsungs do phone to phone transfer for your new phone. You just plug the new phone into the old via USB and set it off and it pulls everything across. Instructions are usually provided in the box with your new phone and a cable adaptor to make said connection. Everything should be pulled across including all your apps.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6 on: 20 November, 2020, 04:04:45 pm »
Thanks all.  Did the connect cable direct copy across option - worked fine.  Had a bit of a Whatsapp moment, but sorted that.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #7 on: 21 November, 2020, 03:33:18 pm »
Also most Samsungs do phone to phone transfer for your new phone. You just plug the new phone into the old via USB and set it off and it pulls everything across. Instructions are usually provided in the box with your new phone and a cable adaptor to make said connection. Everything should be pulled across including all your apps.

I did exactly that moving from a Samsung S8 to a Pixel 4A 5G a couple of days ago. Everything worked seamlessly, except for banking apps which seems about right.

Now it's a race between the end of the 2-year contract and EE 5G rollout!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2021, 08:41:13 pm »
I found this thread - my more >4 year old Motorola E4Plus has blown the battery (the battery "expanded" so that it popped the back off the phone! - no idea why, it may be because of overcharging as it's often left connected to its charger)

Anyway, give the cost of the replacement battery and age of the phone I've bought a new Motorola G10   (Bit of a Motorola fan, i still have an original RAZR folding/flip phone in working order)

So - to transfer - I've seen a simple one-click PC option   https://www.mobikin.com/transfer-for-mobile/  - anyone an experience or views please before I give it a go.  Seems rather simpler with just cable connections rather than the back up to Google/ restore as the Wifi on the old phone is a bit flaky from time to time.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2021, 07:55:34 am »
I found this thread - my more >4 year old Motorola E4Plus has blown the battery (the battery "expanded" so that it popped the back off the phone! - no idea why, it may be because of overcharging as it's often left connected to its charger)

Anyway, give the cost of the replacement battery and age of the phone I've bought a new Motorola G10   (Bit of a Motorola fan, i still have an original RAZR folding/flip phone in working order)

So - to transfer - I've seen a simple one-click PC option   https://www.mobikin.com/transfer-for-mobile/  - anyone an experience or views please before I give it a go.  Seems rather simpler with just cable connections rather than the back up to Google/ restore as the Wifi on the old phone is a bit flaky from time to time.

SORTED - ignore

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2021, 06:48:41 am »

SORTED - ignore

That's good!

Although for anyone else, when I upgraded my Motorola from a previous one, as part of the setup routine on the new one, it asked me if I wanted to transfer the data from an old phone - I just had to hold the 2 phones together.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein