Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626266 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1775 on: 03 May, 2012, 08:04:03 am »
Yes, that seriously rattled my cage. Downright pig-ignorant Daily Mail-ish thing to show, in my view.  I'm just too tired with my own struggles to do anything about it right now, I'm afraid.
Wombat

« Reply #1776 on: 03 May, 2012, 12:38:38 pm »
Poo, bugger and bollocks, and possibly a few other words to go with it!

I'm registered to do the Windsor Sponsored Ride on my horsey this weekend.  A thrilling canter through Windsor Park, with (optional) obstacles to jump over (I was going to do the littlies).  It was going to be my first ever cross-country ride and although a stretch for my confidence, I was getting really excited about it.

It's been postponed, due to rain, rain and more sodding rain.  Til October!!   :-\

Buggrit!  I KNOW it's for safety, as it's like a blinking bog out there a lot of the time, but buggrit anyway!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1777 on: 03 May, 2012, 02:58:33 pm »
rain, rain and more sodding rain.  Til October!!

I hope that's not a forecast!   >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1778 on: 03 May, 2012, 05:18:55 pm »
In an unusual fluster of organisation, I discover an entry in my calendar warning that my passport's due to expire at the end of the month.  I suppose I'd better do a renewal now to avoid faff.  Wasn't planning to travel anywhere more international than Wales any time soon, but it's still 70 odd quid :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1779 on: 07 May, 2012, 11:59:40 am »
On a Grand Central Train.  I think it got dressed in a hurry this morning, as the carriages are mislabelled and in the wrong order, and there's no buffet car! :o

Feeling the twitchings from tea withdrawal, I am also regretting eschewing a stop at the Co-op in Romanby for snacks.

Anyone know if Friends House cafe on Euston Road is open today?
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1780 on: 07 May, 2012, 12:32:26 pm »
Was going to wander to the local furniture/kitchenware emporium at lunchtime to procure myself a pizza stone.
Left my wallet in my handbag, which as I'm on the bike, is at home, isn't it?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1781 on: 07 May, 2012, 01:01:27 pm »
In an unusual fluster of organisation, I discover an entry in my calendar warning that my passport's due to expire at the end of the month.  I suppose I'd better do a renewal now to avoid faff.  Wasn't planning to travel anywhere more international than Wales any time soon, but it's still 70 odd quid :(
I've just completed the online form to get renewal docs etc. - my passport expired in 2009  :-\ Whilst my next major trip to forn parts is next year (4 weeks in Alaska) I quite fancy introducing Pugsley to the wonders of cycling on the continent in the interim.

All(!) I need to do now is get the photos countersigned (the guy who runs my LBS offered to do this - turns out I've known him for 16 years, which is a pretty scary thought) and see what, if any, supporting documentation I need to prove that I'm entitled to the honorific 'Dr.'1  ::-)

Oh, and fork over the £77.50 for renewal.

1 - I don't generally stand on ceremony, but I use the honorific on 'official' things like bank details etc. - it's quite a good paper spam filter too, since anything prefixed 'Mr.' is unlikely to be official and hence ends up in the bin.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1782 on: 07 May, 2012, 05:18:10 pm »
There's no title of any sort on my latest passport. Previous did have 'Doctor'. I was never asked for proof. If they don't use honorifics, chasing for proof may be waste of time.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1783 on: 07 May, 2012, 05:24:38 pm »
There's no title of any sort on my latest passport. Previous did have 'Doctor'. I was never asked for proof. If they don't use honorifics, chasing for proof may be waste of time.
They class 'Dr' as an 'alternative title' and as such a little thing flashed up saying 'proof may be required' - needless to say, there was absolutely no indication of what would constitute 'proof'1  ::-)

Fortunately, this is a hoop which only needs to be jumped through every 10 years or so.

1 - which would be a copy of my PhD certificate. If they want the original then they can pay to have it dismounted and reframed, too.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1784 on: 07 May, 2012, 05:37:25 pm »
David's passport expired 24/4/12.
Not sure if I CBA to seek proof of his PhD.

« Reply #1785 on: 07 May, 2012, 06:50:43 pm »
Arse.

Mrs B & I went out to join a CTC ride for lunch, but after a few miles the looseness of my headset was too obvious for me not to notice. I tried tightening it up, but no go. The star nut was moving up inside the steerer, with almost no pressure - single finger on the Allen key. Not right at all.

So we went home, changed bikes, & pootled off to a nearer (& nicer) country pub, where entirely by chance, we met three mountain bikers (well, one also does sportives occasionally) we know.

Popped into an open shop (Evans) today to ask about fettling the headset, & they said if it'd come loose that soon (a couple of thousand miles) after new forks were fitted, it hadn't been done right, & I should take it back to where it was done & ask them to put it right free. He did ask if it'd been done by his shop, & was mightily relieved it hadn't.

I am not pleased. I ended up having a nice ride, with bluebells, & good beer & company, but now I have to chase around & get it fixed.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LindaG

« Reply #1786 on: 08 May, 2012, 06:49:56 am »
Crusty's been hiding my stuff tidying up again  :hand:

« Reply #1787 on: 08 May, 2012, 11:34:27 am »
Take revenge - take him for a bike ride that just happens to end up at a music festival.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LindaG

« Reply #1788 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:08:11 pm »
Take revenge - take him for a bike ride that just happens to end up at a music festival.

You know, that might not be as mad as it sounds.

<plots deviously>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1789 on: 08 May, 2012, 05:29:38 pm »
Note to subs: the short form is Pro Green. Please stop "correcting" it. (NB he's not a real professor.)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1790 on: 08 May, 2012, 06:49:09 pm »
Because our boss has worked out that we have virtually no excess in the budget this year, we need to crack on with setting up business waste recycling (something we've expected to do in conjunction with the council, but they simply aren't moving on it).

In order to do this, we'll need to create some more time in our schedule, and the boss is saying that when we come in, instead of putting all the shutters up, and then after we've got the vehicles out, having a cup of tea (and some people eating their breakfasts), we should simply get the vehicles out, and get straight out, saving between 15-30 minutes.

This is fair enough, but I'm ever so slightly peeved. Mainly because I'm the first one in 90% of the time, and always a few minutes before 8am, and have often put all the shutters up before anyone else arrives, and possibly have at least one vehicle out already. I also get up in time to eat my breakfast before I go to work.  I'm not all that bothered about the cup of tea, I guess I'm just fed up that I'm already ready to go in good time, when others haven't even turned up yet...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #1791 on: 09 May, 2012, 12:45:21 pm »
Because our boss has worked out that we have virtually no excess in the budget this year, we need to crack on with setting up business waste recycling (something we've expected to do in conjunction with the council, but they simply aren't moving on it).

In order to do this, we'll need to create some more time in our schedule, and the boss is saying that when we come in, instead of putting all the shutters up, and then after we've got the vehicles out, having a cup of tea (and some people eating their breakfasts), we should simply get the vehicles out, and get straight out, saving between 15-30 minutes.

This is fair enough, but I'm ever so slightly peeved. Mainly because I'm the first one in 90% of the time, and always a few minutes before 8am, and have often put all the shutters up before anyone else arrives, and possibly have at least one vehicle out already. I also get up in time to eat my breakfast before I go to work.  I'm not all that bothered about the cup of tea, I guess I'm just fed up that I'm already ready to go in good time, when others haven't even turned up yet...

Sounds like your boss needs to do a bit of "Genchi genbutsu" as we call it in Toyota. It means "Go, see and study" to understand. He would then recognise your additional contribution, and also realise that the apparent savings in time are perhaps not available.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #1792 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:20:33 pm »
Ny nouth's not nerking.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1793 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:35:33 pm »
Ab bu been do de dentist?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #1794 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:36:47 pm »
Es.

Root cadal gnerk.

« Reply #1795 on: 09 May, 2012, 06:55:07 pm »

Sounds like your boss needs to do a bit of "Genchi genbutsu" as we call it in Toyota. It means "Go, see and study" to understand. He would then recognise your additional contribution, and also realise that the apparent savings in time are perhaps not available.

To be fair, he does do the job with us, and is arranging a meeting of us all to try and come up with ideas for increasing income and efficiency.  It's not him personally I have a beef with, it's just that I'm sort of being asked to do what I already do...

It doesn't help that I'm going through a bit of a 'meh' phase about work, which my recent week off has failed to shift.

It could be a lot worse, as the rants and grumbles here often make me realise!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #1796 on: 09 May, 2012, 07:50:32 pm »
GRR, dam physioterrorist, I may be glad that you have 90% diagnosed my hip injury 8 years after I first saw a GP about it but did you have to make my hip so sore for the whole of today. I have noticed that I am limping rather than walking to protect it. *wincing smilie*

« Reply #1797 on: 09 May, 2012, 07:58:48 pm »
Urk...having spent the day sorting out my ill horsey (who is probably better again), my CFS has kicked in again and I'm totally out of spoons!   :-\

I don't want to be so sensitive to anything out of the ordinary, it's starting to get really boring!  Bah!

« Reply #1798 on: 09 May, 2012, 08:23:32 pm »
Fucking CityLink didn't pick up my parcel despite saying there was "no reason for the pick-up to fail"- quel surprise
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1799 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:12:15 am »
I seem to have significant snot in my middle ear - even I can hear it clicking...

*throws all the drugs at it* *hopes it's hayfever and not ill - although hayfever can set me up for ill*