Author Topic: Dry January - 2022  (Read 37424 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Milk please, no sugar.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Dry January - 2021
« Reply #201 on: 11 January, 2021, 05:50:53 pm »
Yes, I'm well aware of the calorific value of wine and beer. But I've not drunk this month, and my weight is down maybe one kg.

I'm one of those people that loses weight very quickly in the first few weeks (a stone in 2-3 weeks isn't unknown) with minor changes...

...problem is that it then tends to grind to a halt.   :(

It's water...

Bad lifestyle leads to inflammation, which leads to water retention. As the inflammation improves, you lose all that water, hence the large weight drop. You probably weed a lot too.
If you check your blood pressure, you should have experienced a big drop too...

15 bottles of wine = 9000 cal = 1kg of body fat

Rapid weight loss is fluid loss not fat loss.

Realistically 1kg a week is a 9000 cal deficit and is about most peoples limit for fat loss.

It's not water.  Nor is it for the reasons that Geriatricdolan suggests either.  It is to do with a long term condition.

But thank you for your input...  ::-)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #202 on: 11 January, 2021, 05:55:30 pm »
Some nice AF suggestions here, including on the comments.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/11/super-dry-10-non-alcoholic-cocktails-to-make-at-home-from-a-hot-buttered-pineapple-to-a-dirty-martini?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Problem is that they tend to use syrups - and I'm not a fan of sweet cocktails.  I do like the sound of the gin free G&T though   :thumbsup:  (and I do often drink sugar-free tonic water on its own as well).

Green Party Councillor

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #203 on: 11 January, 2021, 06:09:21 pm »
Anything with ginger seems to be tangy rather than sweet.
Milk please, no sugar.

Davef

Dry January - 2021
« Reply #204 on: 11 January, 2021, 06:29:22 pm »
Yes, I'm well aware of the calorific value of wine and beer. But I've not drunk this month, and my weight is down maybe one kg.

I'm one of those people that loses weight very quickly in the first few weeks (a stone in 2-3 weeks isn't unknown) with minor changes...

...problem is that it then tends to grind to a halt.   :(

It's water...

Bad lifestyle leads to inflammation, which leads to water retention. As the inflammation improves, you lose all that water, hence the large weight drop. You probably weed a lot too.
If you check your blood pressure, you should have experienced a big drop too...

15 bottles of wine = 9000 cal = 1kg of body fat

Rapid weight loss is fluid loss not fat loss.

Realistically 1kg a week is a 9000 cal deficit and is about most peoples limit for fat loss.

It's not water.  Nor is it for the reasons that Geriatricdolan suggests either.  It is to do with a long term condition.

But thank you for your input...  ::-)
Fat is 9 cal per gram. If you had a 1000 calorie deficit that is 111g of fat.

The first thing you normally burn is glycogen. Glycogen is 6 cal per gram so a 1000 calorie deficit would be 160g of glycogen which is already a bigger weight, but bound in with that 160g of glycogen is 480g of water, so 640g.

So a 1000 calorie deficit could result in a weight loss of 111g of fat or 640g of glycogen and water. 

Weight loss is a slow old process especially when your body starts worrying it is going into a famine situation. When you hit the slower weight loss think of it as superior weight loss.

Edit: I noticed this over a long term weight loss over about a year. I was in slight calorific deficit most days and then once a month I would go very low calorie for 5 days. I noticed my weight would very gradually go down when I was in the small calorie deficit and then in the 5 days it would drop much more than it should. In the few days after the low calorie bit, despite being back to the slight calorie deficit my weight would start going up. I did not understand how if in calorie deficit my weight could go up. What was happening is my body was converting fat to replenish glycogen and binding in water.

bairn again

« Reply #205 on: 12 January, 2021, 03:38:33 pm »
That's me completed a full week  O:-).   Despite doing an indoor cycling session each day I've actually put on weight, but I'm not overly troubled about that.

I felt the temptation just once on Sunday after coming home from a very long walk, but I just had a cup of tea instead and promised myself Id buy a nice bottle of red wine to go with dinner in early February (though I recognise that making alcohol a reward probably isn't that clever).

I was definitely drinking too readily (and as a result too much) during lockdown so its been a worthwhile exercise in hitting the pause button and taking stock.  I hope that if I do see the month through that I wont go back to last years post lockdown habits - that's probably my main motivation for abstaining now. 

Anyhow my efforts have been helped greatly yesterday by the Scottish football authorities who have called a temporary halt on my teams matches until 31 January 2021 at least.  Forget any hackneyed old jokes about "aye you need a drink to watch a Falkirk game" I do find that one of the things I unashamedly enjoy is to sit down and watch my home town team on telly and have a few beers, a luxury not afforded to me previously other than the occasional cup game v. a big team  If truth be told the ability to sit in the comfort of my own home and do this rather than make the journey to watch in person will be something I'll miss when the pandemic is all over!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #206 on: 12 January, 2021, 11:34:58 pm »
Nice one, BA.

Tonight is 12 nights for me. That’s already my longest stretch without a drink in a very long time.

My best tactic seems to be just not having any in the house. My resolve seems to work well coupled with the inconvenience of going somewhere to get some booze.

I’ve removed all alcohol from my ‘favourites’ and ‘regular items’ lists on the Tesco online shopping too.

I’m watching The Night Manager. They don’t do a ‘last time’ summary at the start of each episode and, for a change, I don’t need it.

:thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #207 on: 13 January, 2021, 12:12:09 am »
Paul, I agree with not having any in the house. I like wine, but in the past I would not keep a stock of wines. So I found an excuse to go out most days to buy a bottle. This January not having a bottle available makes it easier.
Strangely enough I have a well stocked spirits cabinet, with two opened bottles. Those don't call to me so much as a bottle of wine would. My drinking pattern was 'a glass of wine while I cook' - which inevitably leads to another one while cooking, then wine with the meal.

And time for me to fess up - I don't intend doing this beyond the 14th. I said I would give it two weeks for my health. I have found avoiding booze easier than I thought and am quite proud of myself. I reckon I will do some dry weeks later in the year, or at the very least two dry days per week.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #208 on: 13 January, 2021, 02:04:29 am »
Well done! And if it fits your needs, that's great.

I'm still in. I have a Thriva blood test to do over the next couple of days, so I will refrain at least till that's done. I may well keep it up; I'm not finding that I'm missing it very much, and I really do want to stay away from the whole-bottle hangover that was starting to piss me off in the summer. I was ill with sinusitis for over two months leading up to Christmas, which definitely gave me no motivation to drink, so I've been abstemious but not teetotal for quite a while now.

It occurs to me that I hardly drank during the first lockdown either. It's definitely a social thing for me; no social life, almost no need for alcohol. Just a very occasional wine or two when I make a big effort with a meal, perhaps. Blimey, I'm even starting to analyse it.

bairn again

« Reply #209 on: 13 January, 2021, 12:04:29 pm »
Interesting - I proactively moved a few bottles of wine out to the garage just in case I was tempted, but my temptations tend to be grain based rather than grape - though I can definitely relate to the noytion of having a drink or more while making dinner, mostly beer in my case.  In our house I do the majority of meals so its not difficult for me to "do a Floyd".   

My beer is permanently in the garage so I've already got to make a conscious decision to go there.  I took delivery of 12 bottles of Maesels Weisse 0.5% ABV yesterday so I'm good for a substitute beer if required, but at the moment I'm hitting the tea (and biscuits) hard.     

Ive an immovable drinks cabinet with spirits - mostly good quality malt whisky but its not tempted me so far.  The only other alcohol in the house is a bottle of Baileys which Id never drink, but Mrs Again would and has since the turn of the year. 

One of my very useful "regulators" in the past has been only to have a drink when I'm both (a) with her and (b) when she has a drink.  She doesnt drink much.

All the best to folk posting here, Im finding it helpful and at the risk of jinxing it, unusually positive/collaborative/helpful for yacf threads which Ive found have a tendency to rapidly degenerate (where without doubt I'll have been as much a culprit as anybody).       

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #210 on: 13 January, 2021, 12:39:32 pm »
Paul, I agree with not having any in the house. I like wine, but in the past I would not keep a stock of wines. So I found an excuse to go out most days to buy a bottle. This January not having a bottle available makes it easier.

Exactly the same here.

... My drinking pattern was 'a glass of wine while I cook' - which inevitably leads to another one while cooking, then wine with the meal.

Again, that's my experience. I think that glass of wine while cooking, especially a Sunday dinner with a full house, is my favourite. I'm rethinking that.

I'm not finding that I'm missing it very much, and I really do want to stay away from the whole-bottle hangover that was starting to piss me off in the summer.

I'll admit that I'm finding it easier than I expected. Not exactly easy, but I'm pleasantly surprised to find myself in day 13. I've had to think about it, though. For me it's largely been about anticipating danger points (do I need to go to a shop? Do I need to walk down that aisle? What have I got to eat, drink and watch on Friday evening?).

But the reward (waking up feeling fresher, and not having to conduct a post-mortem of the previous night) is a good incentive.

So, frankly, is my boys not seeing me with a glass of wine every evening.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #211 on: 13 January, 2021, 01:38:42 pm »
I wasn’t really doing dry jan but have t had a drink since 1st - well coffee and water. I feel slightly guilty popping in here really - I haven’t analysed myself, just felt I’d had more than I wanted to sustain through Nov and Dec so decided to stop for a bit. The last couple of years I’ve been alcohol free for Lent.

However, this is a positive and supportive thread (largely!) - a. It like the couch to 5k running thread - so well done all. In it together wherever we start.

Mike

« Reply #212 on: 13 January, 2021, 03:06:38 pm »
One of my very useful "regulators" in the past has been only to have a drink when I'm both (a) with her and (b) when she has a drink.  She doesnt drink much.

I'm the Mrs Again to Mr Smith but it hasn't really worked terribly well when we've tried this. He's better with a time limited framework than if/when scenarios.
I don't drink at home when he's not, but I'm not sure it would bother him if I did?

« Reply #213 on: 13 January, 2021, 06:38:55 pm »
Just catching up.  Excellent progress folks.  Particularly impressed with Paul's achievements to date. 

When I stopped for nearly a year some time back the greatest benefits for me were improved quality of sleep and the clear head in the morning.  It just made me so much happier and relaxed overall.   I haven't got the ultimate answer though because I still enjoy the occasional drink.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #214 on: 13 January, 2021, 08:33:02 pm »
I think the last two weeks have highlighted a couple of things to me
1) how I effectively had a "ritual" of coming in from the gym in the shed, making a snack and making a drink/pouring a glass of wine/beer to go with it, and then posibly another
2) how much of that ritual was driven my thirst/hunger

I've been better at drinking more water post gym and not really thought about the booze when I've not had it, last two nights none, even though Mrs ED has. Tonight I might have a nightcap, but by deliberate rather than casual choice.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #215 on: 15 January, 2021, 07:26:59 am »
I had a drink last night  - I promised myself I would do two weeks. I had most of a nice bottle of wine and a whisky.
I surprised myself - the wine tasted a bit sweet and it did not make me feel good. I was back to drinking it 'like a duty'
In the past I just had a habit of drinking wine and realise that I slogged through a bottle.
I hope I can cut back and maybe drink socially when this is all over.

Something I would like is non alcoholic drinks which do not taste sweet.
I have been drinking squash during January but need something which is not sweet.

Chris S

« Reply #216 on: 15 January, 2021, 09:04:48 am »
If you look closely at this image, you may just about be able to see where I started Dry January:

All seems fine - sleep is probably better in that the pattern is "healthier". When I'm drinking, all the deep sleep happens early in the night and then later, it's much more disturbed, whereas now the deep sleep segments happen at regular intervals throughout the night and I'm not waking at 4am.

I'm not missing it much. Apparently I was a bit grumpy the first week (yeah yeah, OK - grumpier) and I do need some distraction in the evenings.

Not losing any weight - but that's not what I'm doing it for, although intervention IS required in that department - one thing at a time!

bairn again

« Reply #217 on: 15 January, 2021, 10:25:47 am »
If you look closely at this image, you may just about be able to see where I started Dry January:

All seems fine - sleep is probably better in that the pattern is "healthier". When I'm drinking, all the deep sleep happens early in the night and then later, it's much more disturbed, whereas now the deep sleep segments happen at regular intervals throughout the night and I'm not waking at 4am.

I'm not missing it much. Apparently I was a bit grumpy the first week (yeah yeah, OK - grumpier) and I do need some distraction in the evenings.

Not losing any weight - but that's not what I'm doing it for, although intervention IS required in that department - one thing at a time!

Going going Chris. 

Any suggestion that you are grumpy is a myth to keep you down, don't believe it.

Thats you as good as half way - keep it up.  Im on day 11 and all is well, despite having put on a few pounds largely thanks to Mr Tunnock and his delicious biscuits. 

OT - I see that registration for SemFed 2021 in Valognes opens today.  Bit optimstic if you ask me but it appears so.     

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #218 on: 15 January, 2021, 10:27:26 am »

When I stopped drinking, I didn't lose any weight... although I was not on 1,000 Kcal of alcohol a day... maybe more like 200.

Weight dropped during lockdown, as working from home, I was no longer exposed to:

1) The daily provision of biscuits at the department tea time
2) the inevitable weekly birthday cake, often ultra processed supermarket stuff with up to 50 ingredients and a smothering of icing
3) the fortnightly meetings with lunch provided, consisting of triangular sandwiches with 50 ingredients as well as other ultra processed finger food.
4) the mid afternoon chocolate bar or bag of crisps to compensate for the collapse of glucose after the biscuits have been fully digested

a stone was lost in about 2 months with no effort...
It just made me think whether I want things to go back to normal, some I do, others I don't... office life is definitively one I am not missing

Regulator

« Reply #219 on: 15 January, 2021, 10:37:15 am »

See... us Regulators are useful!    ;D

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #220 on: 15 January, 2021, 10:42:25 am »
Completed the first two weeks yesterday without lapse.  And a very welcome reduction to date in my weight of 14.5lbs  :thumbsup:

I intend to do the full month and I may consider going on beyond that... although I don't think Mr R will.

We've also decided to be a little stricter around food, so it's back to a lower carb diet - which not drinking wine and beer will help.  Won't stop the odd G&T though.   ;D

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #221 on: 15 January, 2021, 10:44:53 am »
Weight dropped during lockdown, as working from home, I was no longer exposed to:

1) The daily provision of biscuits at the department tea time
2) the inevitable weekly birthday cake, often ultra processed supermarket stuff with up to 50 ingredients and a smothering of icing
3) the fortnightly meetings with lunch provided, consisting of triangular sandwiches with 50 ingredients as well as other ultra processed finger food.
4) the mid afternoon chocolate bar or bag of crisps to compensate for the collapse of glucose after the biscuits have been fully digested

a stone was lost in about 2 months with no effort...
It just made me think whether I want things to go back to normal, some I do, others I don't... office life is definitively one I am not missing
I've been WFH for 10 months now. Initially I lost a few kg for reason 2 and 4, but then I put it on and more besides because I would eat when bored at home on my own all day. Sure, it's easier to avoid eating donuts when they aren't on the end of your desk, but it also basically means I eat the same thing day after day, and everything is gluten free in our house so the basics like bread are unenjoyable and sweets are even more tempting.

Chocolate update - not had any this week. :) Was sorely tempted a few times when lacking in motivation and energy around 3pm.  I had raw carrot instead! Down 0.5kg, which is reasonable given I've been doing very little exercise (for many months).

« Reply #222 on: 15 January, 2021, 10:56:08 am »

That's quite a sizeable drop. I looked back at my charts for resting HR for the last few months to see there was something similar for the recent dry lockdown (5th November to early December) but I couldn't even spot it on the graph.

Looking more closely at my numbers it seems the drop was about 5bpm, which is hard to spot when it's only ~57bpm down to ~52bpm.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #223 on: 15 January, 2021, 10:58:32 am »

Chocolate update - not had any this week. :) Was sorely tempted a few times when lacking in motivation and energy around 3pm.  I had raw carrot instead! Down 0.5kg, which is reasonable given I've been doing very little exercise (for many months).

We went the route of only buying Lindt 90% chocolate bars... it still feels like a treat, if your mouth is warm enough to melt it... like after a soup or a coffee/tea, but it's not as moreish and it has very little sugar.

Agree gluten free bread is dire...

« Reply #224 on: 15 January, 2021, 11:01:17 am »
Has any0one tried the 0% Gordons 'Gin' which is being advertised?  Opinions?