Author Topic: Cassette lockring tool for DualDrive hub?  (Read 860 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Cassette lockring tool for DualDrive hub?
« on: 07 April, 2021, 10:02:50 am »
A friend has SRAM DualDrive hubs on his recumbent trikes. The cassette lockring tools owned by his bike shop are designed around QR or through axles only. The central hole in the tool can accommodate a 10mm short axle but the DualDrive has a 10.5mm dia. long axle (uses axle nuts) which doesn’t fit through the tool’s hole. The tools are hardened, so drilling them out is not trivial. Which company makes a Shimano-compatible lockring tool with a large enough central hole to fit a 10.5mm dia. long axle through?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Cassette lockring tool for DualDrive hub?
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2021, 01:22:00 pm »
Let me look at mine.  Sometimes crappy knock-offs work where Shimano originals fail.

Edit: yup, Cyclo will do it.  Almost 14mm ID.  Is it definitely HG and not UG?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2021, 01:51:16 pm »
Definitely HG. Thanks for that, I will pass it on.

Just making sure, the tool looks like https://www.sowerbybroscycles.co.uk/view-product/Cyclo-HG-cassette-lockring-tool

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2021, 01:55:35 pm »
For the avoidance of doubt, mine is the version of the tool without a handle, which you use with a big spanner.  Cyclo also make one with a built-in handle, which I haven't measured.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2021, 08:50:58 pm »
The same problem exists with Alfine 8 disc hubs where it is difficult to undo the cones to make space for a normal cassette lockring tool to undo the Centrelock lockring. My LBS got me the same one that they use which is an XLC (IIRC) which cost me under 5€. I think I posted the information sometime in 2019  ???

« Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2021, 07:32:47 am »
The same problem exists with Alfine 8 disc hubs where it is difficult to undo the cones to make space for a normal cassette lockring tool to undo the Centrelock lockring. My LBS got me the same one that they use which is an XLC (IIRC) which cost me under 5€. I think I posted the information sometime in 2019  ???

Yes, I found this problem earlier this year, when I serviced mine. I ordered a longer tool, which was still just too short.  >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2021, 09:35:58 am »
My Aussie mate has acquired the tool and it fits, so is very happy.