Author Topic: SR Cymru  (Read 37769 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: SR Cymru
« Reply #50 on: 20 July, 2010, 02:31:56 pm »
Once my C3A perm is validated I'll be one 200 k ride short of a SR Cymru. I was considering doing Mike's Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch perm as the final ride, but I don't think it's Welsh enough to count. So, apart from the Cambrian 2G, does anyone know of any other perms that go near to Chester / Runcorn that would be Welsh-enough?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

αdαmsκι

« Reply #51 on: 10 October, 2010, 03:34:57 pm »
Riding The Clwydian yesterday means I've now got my SR Cymru :thumbsup:.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #52 on: 26 November, 2010, 11:52:05 am »
Herewith an update of qualifying SR Cymru audax events: -

The list of qualifying Welsh rides continues to be developed, but currently is as follows: -

200Km
Carmarthen Bay
Down with The British
Ferryside Fish Foray
Gower Getter
Transporter
Monmouthshire Meander
Making Hay
'Round Rhondda
Elan & Ystwyth
Tregaron Dragon
Cambrian 200
Clwydian From Corwen

300Km
Peacocks and Kites
Cambrian Series 3A

400Km
Teifi Traveller
Irish Mail
Brevet Cymru

600Km
Bryan Chapman
Cambrian

As can be noted, we are pretty limited on choice of rides in the 300, 400 and 600Km categories.

The Offa's Dyke 600 does not qualify on distance or ascent criteria within Wales. Neither does the Kiddermister Killer or the Elenith, sorry.

If anyone knows of other audaxes which would qualify or of any above which do not, then I would be pleased to learn of them.

Regards,
Ross Jeal

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #53 on: 26 November, 2010, 12:17:34 pm »
Is it over one year or can 2009 events count?
Chief cat entertainer.

Chris N

« Reply #54 on: 26 November, 2010, 12:22:53 pm »
AFAIK, one season - like a normal SR.

« Reply #55 on: 26 November, 2010, 12:33:56 pm »
Ross, there's the Pontadawe 300 and the "Snowdon and Coast 405" (in the results as Upton Magna 405) to add to the qualifying events [definately the 300,  not 100% on the 400, better ask John Hamilton...]

border-rider

« Reply #56 on: 26 November, 2010, 12:38:03 pm »
Ross, there's the Pontadawe 300

Ah, in that case I've qualified :)

I have one from when it was first set up, in the days when the Elenith counted.

Does the Kidderminster Killer go into Wales at all ?

« Reply #57 on: 26 November, 2010, 01:21:05 pm »
Ross, there's the Pontadawe 300 and the "Snowdon and Coast 405" (in the results as Upton Magna 405) to add to the qualifying events [definately the 300,  not 100% on the 400, better ask John Hamilton...]

Thanks Cyclone, we could do with a few more 300 and 400 events which qualify.
Do you have the dates of these events because it is sometimes difficult to find them. Some are relatively easy but others take time to identify because they are listed under the starting location and not the given name. ie 'Tregaron Dragon' listed as 'Gladestry 209'.

Does anyone else know of events which would qualify as SR Cymru events, especially in the 300, 400 and 600 Km categories.

Regards,
Ross Jeal

Billy Weir

« Reply #58 on: 26 November, 2010, 01:31:40 pm »
Presumably all of the Cambrian Series permanents qualify (I see the 3A is down but none of the others).

Likewise the Cambrian Connections mesh (if still operating).

miniog

• aka IanS
« Reply #59 on: 26 November, 2010, 01:45:34 pm »

Thanks Cyclone, we could do with a few more 300 and 400 events which qualify.
Do you have the dates of these events because it is sometimes difficult to find them.

The Pontardawe 300 is actually the Teifi Traveller, which is in Ross's list as a 400. It was a 400 untill 2009, but in 2010 it became a 300 and looks to be a 300 again in 2011

Dave Lewis's Marches and Mersey Roads 600 is distinctly more Welsh than English, but probably not enough to qualify?

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #60 on: 26 November, 2010, 01:47:24 pm »
I assume you can sub longer for shorter, so what about the Mille Cymru?

« Reply #61 on: 27 November, 2010, 10:41:01 am »
What about the Llanfairpwllgwyn?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #62 on: 27 November, 2010, 10:48:53 am »
Does anyone else know of events which would qualify as SR Cymru events, especially in the 300, 400 and 600 Km categories.

Would the rides from Bynea fit into the 200 km category - Taith Mynydd a Mor (although I don't see it in the calendar for 2011) & Carmarthenshire Snapper?

I had a look at that ride & over 100 km of it is in England; ergo I don't think it's Welsh enough. See Mike Wigley's website for the google tracks

(I've corrected your link, BTW.)

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #63 on: 09 November, 2011, 12:45:24 pm »
Herewith an update of qualifying SR Cymru audax events: -

The list of qualifying Welsh rides continues to be developed, but currently is as follows: -

200Km
Carmarthen Bay
Down with The British
Ferryside Fish Foray
Gower Getter
Transporter
Monmouthshire Meander
Making Hay
'Round Rhondda
Elan & Ystwyth
Tregaron Dragon
Cambrian 200
Clwydian From Corwen

300Km
Peacocks and Kites
Cambrian Series 3A

400Km
Teifi Traveller
Irish Mail
Brevet Cymru

600Km
Bryan Chapman
Cambrian

As can be noted, we are pretty limited on choice of rides in the 300, 400 and 600Km categories.

The Offa's Dyke 600 does not qualify on distance or ascent criteria within Wales. Neither does the Kiddermister Killer or the Elenith, sorry.

If anyone knows of other audaxes which would qualify or of any above which do not, then I would be pleased to learn of them.

Regards,
Ross Jeal

Does the new Elinith count now the start has been moved?
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #64 on: 09 November, 2011, 12:53:54 pm »
I am also interested in the answer to that, I had assumed (prior to knowing this thread existed) that it (i.e. the old one) did.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #65 on: 09 November, 2011, 12:54:07 pm »
This year I have: Brian Chapman, Offas Dyke, Brevet Cymru & Heart of Wales.

No SR Cymru for me, then...

Chris N

« Reply #66 on: 09 November, 2011, 01:07:11 pm »
Does the new Elinith count now the start has been moved?

I doubt it.  Upton > Shobdon > Presteigne is about 70km and all of it is on the English side of the border.  On the way back, it's then probably 20 to 25km from the Long Mynd to Upton, again all in England.  I reckon the new Elenydd is as Welsh as the Old one - about 1/3 - so not Welsh enough for an SR Cymru.

« Reply #67 on: 09 November, 2011, 02:03:22 pm »

In response to Gareth Rees: -

I am fairly certain that this ride, one of Mike Wigley's, does not qualify as an SR Cymru 400Km.
It runs about 40% of the distance within England and then ingeniously avoids all hills, Welsh or not!

Its curious that interest in the SR Cymru seems to ebb and flow!

There are still relatively few riders in possession of this medal and I would welcome applications from any who believe they have done enough to win one. It should encourage more riders to come across the border and experience the quiet and relatively well maintained byways in rural Wales.
A good start would be the Elan & Ystwyth, a gentle 200Km audax or the Tregaron Dragon, a more arduous 200Km trail. These audaxes are scheduled annually for mid August but both of these routes and others can be downloaded for free at the following: -

http://www.gladestry.com/Project/AudaxRoutes/

If  there are other 300, 400 or 600Km routes thought to qualify as 'Welsh', then please let me have the details, including the name and email of the organiser, so that I can investigate.
The overall distance or ascents need to be 70% within Wales to qualify, simple really!

Don't forget that DIYs qualify, although they are a little more difficult to submit and to scrutinise.

Keep pedalling!

Regards, Ross Jeal

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #68 on: 09 November, 2011, 02:58:45 pm »
Neither of those 300s is listed in the calendar yet. I was hoping for a Welsh SR having done my 200 and entered the BCM.
Mojo is being awakened.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #69 on: 09 November, 2011, 06:38:12 pm »
The new Elenydd, as already said is no more "Welsh" than the old one.

And looking at that list Teifi Traveller is now a 300, so you've got a choice of that or Peacocks & Kites.

There's plenty of time for events to appear in the calendar yet, it's very much a work in progress at this time of year as orgs do their planning. (We're spoilt now in this internet age with events popping into the calendar all the time - Christmas used to be spent eagerly awaiting the thud of the Calendar on your doormat so the planning of the year's rides could get started)

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #70 on: 09 November, 2011, 09:55:20 pm »
Thanks, I'll look out for those in the calendar.
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #71 on: 10 November, 2011, 08:35:44 am »
Thanks, I'll look out for those in the calendar.

Just to point out that miniog has kindly taken over the organizing of some of Dai Harris' events from Bynea.  As far as SR Cymru is concerned that's only the Carmarthenshire Snapper in April so far (and, of course, you already have the 200 in the bag with the Transporter, Charlie Boy - but it's a pleasant ride).

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #72 on: 29 May, 2012, 08:58:49 pm »
 The new Elenydd 300, is an awesome ride, a classic in terms of organisation, accents & scenary, whilst for your above average rider, 70% of the Daylight ride, is in Wales, so has my vote to qualify as a 200 Cymru ride :thumbsup:

Joined the select few with the BCM, BC, Peacocks and Kites, finally the Ferryside Fish Foray to qualify for the SR Cymru award.
  :thumbsup:

Hooked on Wales, now setting my sites on Mille Cymru as I'm thinking can substitute for 600  ??? and perhaps a 2nd SR Cymru award :o
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

« Reply #73 on: 22 August, 2013, 10:47:41 am »
time for tread resurrection,

I am considering Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau, 21st June 2014 - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=75175.0 along with Brevet Cymru as the corner stone of a Cymru SR next season, so the question is it Welsh enough?
Organising the Saddleworth Audax's on the 5th July 1015:
200K Bowland
170K Slaidburn
100K Widdop - includes a return up Cragg Vale

Come play in the Pennines with Saddleworth Clarion

« Reply #74 on: 22 August, 2013, 12:10:14 pm »
time for tread resurrection,

I am considering Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau, 21st June 2014 - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=75175.0 along with Brevet Cymru as the corner stone of a Cymru SR next season, so the question is it Welsh enough?

The first 50km of Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau. are outside the principality, as is the 88km bit from Knighton to Bushley.

So this ride's about 77% Welsh. But as has been stated up-thread any ride with over 70% is considered acceptable  ;D

The BCM is in Wales for the first 500km, but returns to England as you leave Knighton and stays there until Monmouth 590km. Back into England as you leave Redbrook until you cross the bridge just up-stream of Brockweir, about 8km. So of the 619km, 98km isn't -So 84% of the BCM is in Wales.

The BCM perm http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MR12/ is over 97% withing Wales, it would have been 100% if I'd controlled in Abergavenny on the return.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.