Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 121357 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #25 on: 19 April, 2019, 01:29:48 pm »
I bought a technician's bag to put our tools in in a nice control freak's orderly way because the bag for life we'd been transporting them in previously was driving me up the wall. (Think the brazil nut in muesli effect).
An interesting analogy.
Does the bag render your tools radioactive?

You're gonna have to explain that one to me... ???
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #26 on: 19 April, 2019, 01:50:34 pm »
I bought a technician's bag to put our tools in in a nice control freak's orderly way because the bag for life we'd been transporting them in previously was driving me up the wall. (Think the brazil nut in muesli effect).
An interesting analogy.

You're gonna have to explain that one to me... ???

Brazil nuts are around 1000 times more radioactive than other foodstuffs.
Also - I've edited my post, coincidentally, while you were posting.  :)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Conffesions of a tool junkie
« Reply #27 on: 19 April, 2019, 03:07:06 pm »

Everyone keeps asking why I don't put it on wheels, as it would be easy to move. Which is why I don't put it on wheels, as I don't want someone to come along and easily move it.

Currently it weighs over 100kg.

Bacuase it would become The Luggage . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 19 April, 2019, 05:26:51 pm »
An interesting analogy.

ETA - The brazil nut effect is a thing. In a granular convection kind of way. Or is that what you meant?

Yes, that's what I meant :)
(That's the second time I've posted that phrase today)

« Reply #29 on: 19 April, 2019, 05:36:09 pm »
An interesting analogy.

ETA - The brazil nut effect is a thing. In a granular convection kind of way. Or is that what you meant?

Yes, that's what I meant :)
(That's the second time I've posted that phrase today)
S'funny how stuff can become become misinterpreted.
Until I'd looked into it, I'd assumed 'Brazil nut amongst the museli' was a reference to finding something delightful amongst the otherwise dull.
Possibly also true  :)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #30 on: 19 April, 2019, 05:44:15 pm »
Just to be contrary, I've never much cared for Brazil nuts ;)

And prolly what I should have explained, the tool I wanted was always at the bottom, being smaller than the BFO hammer etc.

« Reply #31 on: 19 April, 2019, 05:48:03 pm »
I hear you   ;D

« Reply #32 on: 19 April, 2019, 05:49:35 pm »
 I’m extremely allergic to Brazil nuts, and for that matter Walnuts. Near anaphalaxis allergic. I like tools though.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #33 on: 19 April, 2019, 07:29:50 pm »
Brazil nuts contain selenium, an essential element rarely found in our soil in Europe. One nut contains double our daily requirement apparently.  :)

Rather expensive at present due to poor harvests.  :(

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Conffesions of a tool junkie
« Reply #34 on: 19 April, 2019, 07:40:49 pm »

Everyone keeps asking why I don't put it on wheels, as it would be easy to move. Which is why I don't put it on wheels, as I don't want someone to come along and easily move it.

Currently it weighs over 100kg.

Bacuase it would become The Someone else's Luggage . . .

FTFY

« Reply #35 on: 03 May, 2019, 06:42:55 am »
Oops I appear to have bought a Stanley 5803 hand drill on eBay. I already have several hand drills but just look at the gorgeous 1960s styling and its unused!

That's not the actual one, it hasn't arrived yet, just a pic of the same model.

I'm going to have to find a matching 1960s Stanley brace now aren't I ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #36 on: 03 May, 2019, 07:19:54 am »
Nicely encased to protect your fingers from that nasty pinion.  :)

« Reply #37 on: 03 May, 2019, 07:21:19 am »
It's odd, now I can't work out how I survived for years without a couple of Vessel JIS drivers.

I swear tools breed in my shed, though.

« Reply #38 on: 03 May, 2019, 07:40:55 am »
It's odd, now I can't work out how I survived for years without a couple of Vessel JIS drivers.

Nah you just buggered up the heads on your motorbike fasteners without realizing why - just like the rest of us did. I had 20 years of playing with motorbikes along with all my mates and can never remember anyone mentioning JIS screwdrivers. Wondering which weird imperial socket or spanner was needed for some doodah on a Landrover yes but motorbike fasteners, they are just Philips aren't they, hang on that's a bit stiff and oops it's cammed out and rounded it out bugger it  ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #39 on: 03 May, 2019, 07:54:31 am »
Yeah, there used to be a whole market for Allen bolt kits for specific motorbikes. My first set was for a Z200, still have the impact driver I bought for that job.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #40 on: 03 May, 2019, 07:55:14 am »

Nah you just buggered up the heads on your motorbike fasteners without realizing why - just like the rest of us did. I had 20 years of playing with motorbikes along with all my mates and can never remember anyone mentioning JIS screwdrivers. Wondering which weird imperial socket or spanner was needed for some doodah on a Landrover yes but motorbike fasteners, they are just Philips aren't they, hang on that's a bit stiff and oops it's cammed out and rounded it out bugger it  ...
Well if you insist on buying Japanese motorcycles.....

Says he, smugly, admiring the new mid torque range torque wrench bought ready for the engine re-furb on his '73 Tiger 750.  Except that it's going to see action first on the '72 Daytona 500 that he picked up, in bits, yesterday, and is currently awaiting unloading from the back of his car.

Glad I kept those Whitworth sockets over all those years since I last had a British bike.  (But I'll have to confess to having had a Honda Revere in the interim, but I didn't need a JIS screwdriver because it never went wrong, and didn't drip oil over my nice clean, painted garage floor).

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #41 on: 03 May, 2019, 07:56:13 am »
Yeah, there used to be a whole market for Allen bolt kits for specific motorbikes. My first set was for a Z200, still have the impact driver I bought for that job.
Still is.  I'm about to buy my second set of these this year.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #42 on: 03 May, 2019, 08:18:22 am »
Still is.  I'm about to buy my second set of these this year.
Don't know why, but I find that very reassuring to hear, almost like a bit of my youth still lives on.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #43 on: 03 May, 2019, 08:24:24 am »

Well if you insist on buying Japanese motorcycles.....

Says he, smugly, admiring the new mid torque range torque wrench bought ready for the engine re-furb on his '73 Tiger 750.  Except that it's going to see action first on the '72 Daytona 500 that he picked up, in bits, yesterday, and is currently awaiting unloading from the back of his car.

Glad I kept those Whitworth sockets over all those years since I last had a British bike.  (But I'll have to confess to having had a Honda Revere in the interim, but I didn't need a JIS screwdriver because it never went wrong, and didn't drip oil over my nice clean, painted garage floor).
I've also kept all my imperial spanners and sockets from the times I worked on old bikes and cars. I never did fully understand the difference between the sizes and threads etc. Stuff I play around with now are all metric which makes life very much easier.

« Reply #44 on: 03 May, 2019, 10:23:49 pm »
Not many to swap on a BSA  Bantam!  I swapped everything to hex socket in 1975. But then I also set the points on Deansgate with a bit of fag paper out of the gutter when it had rattled loose!

« Reply #45 on: 04 May, 2019, 08:40:59 am »
I still have (and regularly use) my Britool 1/2" socket set (AF, Whit, Metric), rather like this, except mine is too early to have namby pamby rubber on it. Bought secondhand in about ....70? for (what was a princely sum of) £5. Often, a poorly made or buggered up metric nut will have a better fit on one of the imperial sockets.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #46 on: 04 May, 2019, 09:33:38 pm »
Just borrowed* (ahem!) a cotter pin pressing tool from a trade acquaintance. It's many years old and made from forged steel.

I've been warned to ensure the cotter pin exits downwards 'because the pin comes out like a bullet - and you don't want to be pointing at the window!'

*I'm going to do my best to buy it...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #47 on: 05 May, 2019, 11:13:36 am »
I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #48 on: 05 May, 2019, 03:54:44 pm »
Just borrowed* (ahem!) a cotter pin pressing tool from a trade acquaintance. It's many years old and made from forged steel.

I've been warned to ensure the cotter pin exits downwards 'because the pin comes out like a bullet - and you don't want to be pointing at the window!'

*I'm going to do my best to buy it...
IME they come out with a moderate single tap if they were put in with anti-seize.  They're put in dry at the bike factory, which is why a cotter press is needed 40 years later.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #49 on: 05 May, 2019, 05:11:51 pm »
I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill! I wanna pillar drill!
So did I after 'managing' for years with one of those stands you put a drill into.  One of those stands that always seems to bugger up anything you try to drill vertically.

So I bought the Axminster Craft pillar drill.  Should have done it years ago.  Now I can drill vertically, repeatably, and under total control.  Particularly as I also bought a fairly hefty engineer's vice too.