Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338746 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #25 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:41:15 pm »
I do have one square that was bagged by an open water swim at Shepperton Lake:

Wait, veloviewer tile game accepts open water swims as valid for bagging tiles?

Cos this tile is causing me issues:

https://goo.gl/maps/kaR7HfBz3E92

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #26 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:31:21 pm »

J

There are no official rules but in general all human powered activities are accepted. You can log them as a swim with Strava. Just like a few of those tiles in your area have been done on skates in the past winter. A kayak would for example also be acceptable. A sailing vessel is stretching the limits of the rules.

« Reply #27 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:33:01 pm »
I forgot the add a screenshot of my current square (and part of the cluster) in my first post in this thread:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:40:42 pm »

That certainly puts my map in the shade...

J
--

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #29 on: 15 June, 2018, 10:11:09 pm »
I wondered when a thread on this would pop up. I heard about this following Graeme's write up about his ride with Deano. It's great because I already try to find new roads when planning DIYs by GPS.
I'm just on 9x9 so far. I think 27x27 is possible eventually (with some walking), but then I'm stuck between the Severn and Salisbury plain.

« Reply #30 on: 15 June, 2018, 10:39:40 pm »

J

There are no official rules but in general all human powered activities are accepted. You can log them as a swim with Strava. Just like a few of those tiles in your area have been done on skates in the past winter. A kayak would for example also be acceptable. A sailing vessel is stretching the limits of the rules.

A "run", which you can do at walking pace, will also suffice. No need to get wet unless the entire square is water.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #31 on: 16 June, 2018, 08:06:55 am »

That certainly puts my map in the shade...

J

You've done your map in one year, mine is the result of 10 years of cycling with a GPS.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 16 June, 2018, 02:45:54 pm »

You've done your map in one year, mine is the result of 10 years of cycling with a GPS.

Fair point.

My version of the same area as yours has a surprising number of tiles, but no actual squares:

Can we change the first/last 10k of some of the Maastricht BRM's to get some different tiles next year? :p

I can see it at the stay-Okay post ride:

"That was a nice ride, all of it apart from why the hell did we go down that one way road at the 165km mark?"

"I was missing a tile..."

J
--

« Reply #33 on: 16 June, 2018, 03:10:22 pm »
I forgot the add a screenshot of my current square (and part of the cluster) in my first post in this thread:

That’s beautiful

« Reply #34 on: 16 June, 2018, 09:07:47 pm »
I have been trying to ignore this because I know what will happen.

Anyway  -  paid my £10 this morning and been out on the MTB this afternoon to bump the square up from 11*11 to 14*14.  I was brambled and nettled but loved it.  Got another key square planned into tomorrow's ride.  It is only a little detour...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: 16 June, 2018, 09:11:58 pm »
I have been trying to ignore this because I know what will happen.

Anyway  -  paid my £10 this morning and been out on the MTB this afternoon to bump the square up from 11*11 to 14*14.  I was brambled and nettled but loved it.  Got another key square planned into tomorrow's ride.  It is only a little detour...

It's addictive. I just did a 77km jaunt North of the canal, to get me upto 2 different 9x9 squares. One tile is likely to prove very hard to get as it turns out its on a nature reserve closed to humans. Couple more tiles should give me a big bump in square size.

J
--

« Reply #36 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:33:42 am »
Many things become a programming problem for me, I'm now wondering about a few different algorithms:-

* one algorithm that would give me the a route of the least number of contiguous squares (starting and ending at my home square) to extend my max square to n*n.

* a similar version that would start at home but end at any number of designated finish squares which correspond to train stations that could get me home easily.

* another that given a maximum number of contiguous squares would cover the most new squares possible (with those closer to home worth more than those further away).

(They would just be very coarse route suggestions as a set of squares to go through, certain connections may not even be possible given the various rivers, hills and lack of roads in places.)

Probably something similar for cluster, although my max cluster is currently 60km North of where I live as I've done lots of different Audaxes up there. Today's ride to get my max square up to 8x8 should bring it back home.

Algorithms don't give me any kind of advantage as it's simple enough to do the above manually by eye, it's just piqued my interest from a programming point of view.

Chris N

« Reply #37 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:54:21 am »
Max square:

Max cluster, 367 squares:

Unlikely to beat this for a while as I don't live there any more.  Max cluster for the new house is not much different to the max square above.

Total tiles: 3053

Unfortunately, I've only got Strava data going back to mid-2013 - although if I did it probably wouldn't do much for my square and cluster scores it would increase my total tiles by a fair amount.

« Reply #38 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:17:00 am »

Friday's extended commute makes 23 x 23

« Reply #39 on: 18 June, 2018, 02:34:15 pm »
Oh. A reason to use strava :facepalm:

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

« Reply #40 on: 18 June, 2018, 05:11:27 pm »
Explorer score:
    5477 tiles, average of 4.025 km per tile
    Max square 5x5
    Max Cluster: 48

A 50km bimble today gives me a max square of 8x8 and max cluster of 80 (which is now based around my home rather than 60km away in Henham). 5495 tiles, average of 4.025 km per tile

One tile required for 9x9 and 5 more for 10x10, but then progress will be a bit slower. Lots of scope for extension via different commuting routes too.

« Reply #41 on: 18 June, 2018, 06:41:43 pm »
Max square:

Max cluster, 367 squares:

Unlikely to beat this for a while as I don't live there any more.  Max cluster for the new house is not much different to the max square above.

Total tiles: 3053

Unfortunately, I've only got Strava data going back to mid-2013 - although if I did it probably wouldn't do much for my square and cluster scores it would increase my total tiles by a fair amount.

A couple of rides between both homes and you'll have a massive leap in max cluster.

« Reply #42 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:10:13 pm »
I started with VeloViewer a couple of years ago. Current stats are:

Explorer score:
6913 tiles, average of 7.637 km per tile
Max square 16x16
Max Cluster: 989

But that 16x16 isn't quite the whole story as I've 12 of the blighters in a 27x16 rectangle ::-) Some of the blockers to let me increase the Max square are quite awkward. The max cluster is similarly held back by one or two squares

« Reply #43 on: 19 June, 2018, 07:42:05 am »

Quote from: chris n

Same here. To increase the cluster and link there and here, would mean rides through... Lincolnshire. *shudder*.

It really highlights what I'd known, in that there's a highway network of cycling roads that go places, and audaxes tend to use the same ones.
I started Strava-ing in 2011, but until about April last year I only Strava'd rides of 'significance'. So all the pub runs, training rides and utility rides didn't feature. Part of me is tempted by a data dump. But probably not.

« Reply #44 on: 19 June, 2018, 09:27:46 am »
The roads covered by pub runs and most utility rides have all been covered by 'significant' rides for me anyway, so adding them wouldn't make much difference.

Saying that, I've got almost nothing in North London. What I do have is either covered by rides up to Cambridge (which go East of Liverpool St) or the London Sightseer in 2007. Despite cycling to/from Paddington, Kings Cross, Marylebone, Edgware Road, etc for lots of Audaxes I've not Strava'd a single one of those rides so those tiles remain unclaimed.

Tiles within 10km or so are relatively simple to add, although yesterday's 50km bimble planned purely to cover tiles did send me down a wide variety of roads/paths/subways given that I didn't pay any attention to route planning other than 'that road goes where I want to go'. Makes a change from blatting around the park on roads I've seen hundreds of times though.

« Reply #45 on: 19 June, 2018, 12:03:15 pm »
Found a couple of old GPX files from rides out to drop off OU assignments right on the deadlines (any excuse for a ride!). One to Wanstead and back and one a 50km blat from work out to Sunningdale. Neither add to my scores though, but the Wanstead one did fill in a bit out in East London.

SIZE 9 requires 1 (might nip out to do this tomorrow, it's a simple 20km ride through Richmond Park, Ham and to Teddington and then back)
SIZE 10 requires 6
SIZE 11 requires 13
SIZE 12 requires 24
SIZE 13 requires 37
SIZE 14 requires 52
SIZE 15 requires 70
SIZE 16 requires 88
SIZE 17 requires 110
SIZE 18 requires 135
SIZE 19 requires 162

« Reply #46 on: 19 June, 2018, 01:32:38 pm »
Blast! Just clicked a ride, gained a tile and lost a tile, down to 21x21, back to sneaking around the gas storage site at Lach Dennis this weekend then

« Reply #47 on: 19 June, 2018, 04:52:14 pm »
SIZE 9 requires 1 (might nip out to do this tomorrow, it's a simple 20km ride through Richmond Park, Ham and to Teddington and then back)
SIZE 10 requires 6
SIZE 11 requires 13
SIZE 12 requires 24
SIZE 13 requires 37
SIZE 14 requires 52
SIZE 15 requires 70
SIZE 16 requires 88
SIZE 17 requires 110
SIZE 18 requires 135
SIZE 19 requires 162
IS there a quick way to see this?

« Reply #48 on: 19 June, 2018, 05:57:29 pm »
SIZE 10 requires 6
IS there a quick way to see this?

Nope. I've got some scripts to do it but they require me entering my squares as either . or * in a text file which takes a long time and is prone to error.

Before that I took a screenshot of my current map (with tile boundaries enabled) and then added dots in MS Paint to find the numbers.

Chris S

« Reply #49 on: 19 June, 2018, 08:13:27 pm »
Greenbank and "I've got some scripts" go together like "Peas and Carrots" or "Bacon and Eggs"  :thumbsup: