Author Topic: Fatbike tyre q?  (Read 38055 times)

Fatbike tyre q?
« on: 28 September, 2014, 02:36:12 pm »
I know there's a few on here who own fatties :thumbsup:

I'm torn between frames that take 4" or 5" tyres.

I know a 190mm will take both but will 170mm with 4" tyres be enough for trail work and backpacking. I'm not planning on travelling through snow every weekend, does that make the 5" tyres overkill.

I'm looking at off the peg bikes, not building, it's too expensive! Used fatbikes are like rocking horse poo! Don't mind ally or steel. ~£1500

Ive seen a mukluk (4") at a good price and the new kona wo (5") looks great too. Not that interested in the fatboy, don't like the pf bb and the forks have no way to attach things. The surly ice cream truck and moon lander are too expensive. The trek Farley 6 looks alright(ish).

Ideas, opinions welcome before I blow my budget!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Fatbike tyre q?
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2014, 03:06:32 pm »
4" is fine for trail work and will be fine in snow and sand as well. Don't forget that the effective width is a combination of the tyre and rim width - they vary from about 60mm up to 100mm. Personally I find around 80mm works best for me

Not ridden one myself but the On One Fattie gets good reviews, not sure whether you can mount stuff on the forks, but is around £1000.

« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2014, 03:14:23 pm »
Cheers Paul.

The holy rolling darryl on the mukluk are 80mm-ish running 3.8 nates.

Are you on 4-5"?  Feel the difference between both?

I'm not keen on the on-one, I know it sounds girly but I can't stand the colour scheme :facepalm:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2014, 03:46:03 pm »
I've yet to find anything that I couldn't handle on 4" tyres at a suitable pressure, and that includes ice (8psi front, 12psi rear)

Pugsleys now come with the Moonlander fork as standard, meaning that not only does it have Anything Cage mounts but it'll also take a 5" tyre without clearance issues. I'm considering exactly this once I'm riding again. You could fit a 5" tyre on the back of a Pug but you'd probably need to use a truncated cassette.

The 3.7/3.8" Larry/Endomorph combo works fine on Rolling Darryl rims (82mm) - this is the setup I have on my Pug. Bob Pavlica at Surly is running 3.8" Knards on 100mm Clown Shoe rims, albeit on an ICT, and he seems pretty happy with the combo, plus it gives you the ability to step up to 5" tyres without having to worry about rim compatibility etc.

My biggest problem with the Mukluk is the 170mm rear spacing - that seriously limits your choice of rear hubs, but if you can cope with that then it's a nice enough bike and the build quality will be superb if it's anything like my El Mariachi. Word of Salsa is that the Mukluk won't take 5" tyres (unless they've changed the frame setup)

ETA: Here's a gratuitous photo of the braze-ons on a Moonie fork - this was before I fitted bottle cages, and you could easily fit something like the Salsa Minimalist rack as well if you wanted (there are axle and mid-level eyelets as well as a couple on the fork crown)

« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2014, 04:13:14 pm »
That's great!

The mukluk rear hub was my concern, that's stopped me from buying it. I'll have a look at a few pugs, I didn't know they came with the moonlander forks now. I did see a necro but frame only, by the time I've built it, it's well over £2000 with wheels and tyres. God they are expensive, it's cheaper to buy a bloody bike!

I'm not 100% on 5" tyres but didn't want to limit myself, better to have the option than regret being limited on 4's.

I'm amazed how many fatbikes don't have any mounts for stuff and come with 1x10. I want mine to be loaded and get up hills without pushing.

I'm going to check out a few pugsleys now :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2014, 04:27:28 pm »
I'm amazed how many fatbikes don't have any mounts for stuff and come with 1x10. I want mine to be loaded and get up hills without pushing.
Fatbikes and front derailleurs are uneasy bedfellows.
Don't ask how I know this suffice to say that I originally built my Pugsley with an Alfine-8 before converting it to singlespeed.

PaulF

« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2014, 04:56:55 pm »
Cheers Paul.

The holy rolling darryl on the mukluk are 80mm-ish running 3.8 nates.

Are you on 4-5"?  Feel the difference between both?

Hard to say. Had Marges with Nate/Husker Du on my Pugsley and now running Holy Rolling Daryll's on my Puffin. But I had about a 7 month gap between selling the Pugsley and the Puffin arriving. I'd say grips better and there's allegedly better float on the wider rims. As it's been bone dry since I got the Puffin I haven't been able to put that to the test.

Fatbikes and front derailleurs are uneasy bedfellows.
Don't ask how I know this suffice to say that I originally built my Pugsley with an Alfine-8 before converting it to singlespeed.

Had a few teething troubles (which were possibly not helped by running a triple mech/shifter on a double ring) getting my front mech set up but now I've got the height right (it looks very high!) its problem free with smooth shifting so don't be put off.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2014, 05:27:55 pm »
Riding with 5" big fat larry on the front and 4" On one Floater on the rear tire in spring and autumn.

Reason : I can handle the slippery mud better with the 5" than 4".

All other times 4" are fine.

I will say the tire you choose might make a bigger difference than the size.
Knards are really good on dry and gravel conditions, but dangerous in mud.
Nate have superb grip and the 120 tpi are softer than the 27tpi
The Floater are really good and "cheap", slightly less grip than Nate but better than the older Surly models.

Oh and I only buy black tires, coloured tires are just for show and they have to add more filling agents to them than the blacks, so black = slightly more rubber and less filling agents.

« Reply #8 on: 28 September, 2014, 06:05:01 pm »
Thanks all :thumbsup:

I'm still drawn to the mukluk2. It's orange :thumbsup:

I think I'll be well happy on 4", mukluk has 120 nates on 82mm rims
The 170mm hubs could be replaced by hope fatsno if needed
It's got 2x10
Plenty of holes to bolt stuff onto
Sliding dropouts for future tinkering

I've been given a deal on a new kona Wo 2015, I like it, fits 5" too but it's dark green. It has what I need but the colour puts me off, it looks kinda dull.

The pugsleys are pushing the budget with the kit I want. They come as 9 speed standard too, I'd prefer 10 so all of my bikes can use the same spares. I can only find them in blue and black, I've got bikes in those colours and fancy a change unless I could find another colour. Not sure on the thumbies, all this pushes it well over £1500.

Any more alternatives for ~£1500. Not the specialized, it's more of a toy than a workhorse.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #9 on: 28 September, 2014, 06:07:57 pm »
I cannot emphasise how awesome the Alternator dropouts are - they're one of the main reasons I bought the El Mariachi to be the basis of my Tour Divide rig.

That and the fact that it was also orange. Very much so  ;D

« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2014, 06:11:10 pm »
I cannot emphasise how awesome the Alternator dropouts are - they're one of the main reasons I bought the El Mariachi to be the basis of my Tour Divide rig.

That and the fact that it was also orange. Very much so  ;D

These do it for me too ;D

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #11 on: 28 September, 2014, 06:25:32 pm »
On One Fatty is  a lot of bike for the money, but you cant put loads of extra stuff on it, so I guess that is out.

Pugsley can take all sorts of crap on it.

Mukluk , same as Pugsley. If you want mudguards on it, These will fit, you need to make some sort of mounting but they can tak both 4" and 5" tires with clearance for mud.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 28 September, 2014, 06:30:06 pm »
Cheers Gus :thumbsup:

Black should suit it

PaulF

« Reply #13 on: 28 September, 2014, 06:43:44 pm »
End of the day I think you'll be happy with whatever you end up with, certainly measured in 'smiles per mile'

« Reply #14 on: 28 September, 2014, 06:45:15 pm »
End of the day I think you'll be happy with whatever you end up with, certainly measured in 'smiles per mile'

:thumbsup:

They make you smile just looking at them, can't wait to get one off road ;D

« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2014, 11:21:11 pm »
Bugger!

Don't think the mukluk will fit. They've only got a medium, but it's sizes as a large! The top tube is massive, approx 60cm. They recommend a small for 5'8"  :'(

The 17" seat tube will be okay, but the tt is miles to big. 15" would've needed a longer seatpost too.

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #16 on: 29 September, 2014, 02:38:22 am »
any chance of trying it ?

I'm 5'9 and ride a medium Pugsley + 12 cm stem. I  tried a xl model and the tt was perfect but st was far to long for me.
I've just ordered a On One  Fatty frame in xl because  the tt will fit and they will still be loads of clearance on the st.

I'm equipped with very short legs and a  long torso, so I allways have problems finding a frame that fits perfect for me.

PaulF

« Reply #17 on: 29 September, 2014, 06:11:07 am »
Why don't you ask at the UK Fat Bike forum? http://www.ukfatbikes.co.uk You'll need to register but there are several Mukluk owners there.

« Reply #18 on: 29 September, 2014, 08:38:32 am »
The kona is almost identical in size and says from 5'6" onwards ??? I'm always on the borderline for frame sizes, I don't like being cramped up so it may be ok. Ive checked, my 29er has a 57 ETT with a big post setback. I Know which road frame size to get but mtb frames are odd, especially when they mess with angles and have odd stack/reach.

I may be able to sit on a medium El Mariachi which is the same size to test out. I'd have gone for a medium pug too Gus, slightly shorter stem.

Tried to register on there Paul, still waiting for an approval email. They must know me ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #19 on: 29 September, 2014, 09:05:01 am »
If you can get yourself to York then you're more than welcome to try out both a medium (18") Pugsley and a medium El Mariachi ...

(just to muddy the sizing waters further, I'm 6'1" ...)

« Reply #20 on: 29 September, 2014, 09:17:17 am »
A bit too far away, ta for the offer though. 6'1" on an 18! I really think the extra 3cm on the top tube is too big for me. My last cube was an 18 with a 58ETT, 1cm more than I have now but super comfy.

I like to be stretched out, long arms!
My current 57ETT HAS ABOUT 2-3cm setback with a thomson post (to get my knees backwards on the pedal axle)  and has the stem flipped down and dropped to the headset. This is effectively giving me a longer reach and top tube. This is why I'm tempted to try the mukluk.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #21 on: 29 September, 2014, 09:31:18 am »
Over the years I've managed to formulate a fairly solid notion of what will fit me - a 56-57cm top tube with an 80mm stem suits me fine over the sort of distances that I ride, plus I have fairly short legs for my height.

I bought the 18" Pugsley because the geometry was almost exactly the same as my 18" 1x1, which is probably the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, and sure enough it's a perfect fit. In both cases the ETT was 564mm, which was absolutely spot on.

Sizing up the El Mariachi was a bit trickier because of Salsa's sizing - they go for 'odds' whereas Surly go for 'evens', meaning that I ended up with a 17" (medium) frame which, despite looking freakishly small when I unpacked it, also fits perfectly with my 'usual' mix of kit (Thomson layback post, 80mm/10deg stem etc.)

In both cases I worked on the principle that slightly too small is better than much too big (also the reason why my Genesis is a 17.5" frame - the next size up, 19", was way too big for me)

PaulF

« Reply #22 on: 29 September, 2014, 09:39:45 am »
The other thing to consider with a fatbike is standover, especially if you're planning to ride in snow/soft sand/deep mud as you'll probably want to avoid unexpected crotch-top tube interactions. Some people recomend going a size down for this reason

« Reply #23 on: 29 September, 2014, 09:53:40 am »
That's another confusion. The stand over is very low, even on the bigger frames they're all mid-low 70s.

I don't know wether to risk it, can always send it back or stick a 70-80mm stem on it to see. It such a good price. Where's the fishing reel &  hook smiley!

« Reply #24 on: 29 September, 2014, 10:30:06 am »
Just popping out on a job*

*to sit on a 60cm tt bike, but don't tell anyone ;)