Author Topic: Close passes  (Read 15404 times)

LMT

Re: Close passes
« Reply #75 on: 28 March, 2021, 08:33:17 pm »
blah

Yeah, whatever. I don't see many people responding to you, which leads me to think that they probably are as bored by your incessant yapping as I am. They are, however, responding to me, and for the most part politely, even if they are taking issue. So with that in mind, and because I am the focus of your increasingly bizarre behaviour I'm going to pop you on ignore by way of discouragement.

Have a great life  :thumbsup:

Weak.

« Reply #76 on: 28 March, 2021, 08:48:34 pm »
I used to wear Olympic triathlon kit to train because I got it cheap in a bargain bin at a race, not because I was pretending to be one of the Brownlee brothers in disguise.
Spooky, I am sitting here in GBR triathlon kit at this very moment. I wear it to go to Tesco’s.

One of my other riding partners is a GBR Triathlete. Good enough to compete in the world champs.

Can't stand rude cosplaying noobs either. Doubt she'd object to anyone wearing GBR kit though.

« Reply #77 on: 28 March, 2021, 09:39:47 pm »
Could we have a bit more excellence here please?  Get a room guys.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #78 on: 28 March, 2021, 10:35:40 pm »
I've just realised why I spend MUCH more time on cyclechat, despite the baleful presence of Drago.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #79 on: 28 March, 2021, 10:52:22 pm »
Bugger.  I've run out of pop corn.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #80 on: 29 March, 2021, 08:55:47 am »

Best pop out to the shops for some more then. And while you're there, don't forget a pint of milk 😁

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #81 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:40:56 am »

Best pop out to the shops for some more then. And while you're there, don't forget a pint of milk 😁
;D
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Davef

« Reply #82 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:54:51 am »
I used to wear Olympic triathlon kit to train because I got it cheap in a bargain bin at a race, not because I was pretending to be one of the Brownlee brothers in disguise.
Spooky, I am sitting here in GBR triathlon kit at this very moment. I wear it to go to Tesco’s.

One of my other riding partners is a GBR Triathlete. Good enough to compete in the world champs.

Can't stand rude cosplaying noobs either. Doubt she'd object to anyone wearing GBR kit though.
You should take inspiration from that car bumper sticker and get a shirt printed with “my other training partner is a GBR triathlete”

« Reply #83 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:16:50 pm »
Only on yacf could people contort themselves into portraying saying 'hello' as the crime of the century.  But hey, I guess there wasn't much going on yesterday.

No passes at all, today, let alone close passes and no hello.

Disappointed. Roll on the weekend. I's gonna surf me some noobs 🏄‍♂️

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #84 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:18:41 pm »
You'll be out deep-rimming again at the weekend, then?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #85 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:20:19 pm »
On the lookout for anyone who gets too close whilst hunched up over their tubing, without even the common decency for a... oh never mind

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #86 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:42:14 pm »
Only on yacf could people contort themselves into portraying saying 'hello' as the crime of the century.  But hey, I guess there wasn't much going on yesterday.

I genuinely thought yesterday was about not saying hello being categorised as the crime of the century. Either way, it's ludicrous. Say hello or don't. It's not the end of the world.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

ian

« Reply #87 on: 29 March, 2021, 07:53:26 pm »
I throw my own faeces at anyone who comes within 20 metres. It's a lot easier if I'm not cycling.

« Reply #88 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:22:43 pm »
What I don't like, is when some rider cycles up from behind, and then (without any small-talk or
preamble) launches into; "Where are you from and where are you going to?"* Sometimes its: "Where have you cycled from". On every single occasion, without fail, when I've replied, the cyclist doesn't offer any information about himself (without some sort of prompting).

Now, this may not be an issue with some people, but I don't like giving out personal info (however
trivial to perfect strangers). I mean,, if I was walking down the High Street (like many people do) I
wouldn't expect a total stranger to ask me where I've been, or which shops I intend to make a
purchase in.

*This happened on Sunday, just before the descent into (newly resurfaced) Chedworth Woods.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #89 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:51:16 pm »
I throw my own faeces at anyone who comes within 20 metres. It's a lot easier if I'm not cycling.

When I see another cyclist, I pull alongside, u turning if necessary, and ask them if I can be their best friend for ever.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #90 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:53:19 pm »
Pah, I pull over women cyclists and explain to them how bicycles work. They appreciate that.

LMT

« Reply #91 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:05:39 pm »

No passes at all, today, let alone close passes and no hello.

Disappointed. Roll on the weekend. I's gonna surf me some noobs 🏄‍♂️

Have fun, the renegade that you are I've no doubt that you will.

« Reply #92 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:49:24 pm »
On the lookout for anyone who gets too close whilst hunched up over their tubing, without even the common decency for a... oh never mind

I wasn't sure if you were looking for a reacharound, but I *do* get the feeling LMT isn't going to offer one without a lot more persuasion.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #93 on: 30 March, 2021, 04:37:36 am »
It's 4 am, I'm awake when I want to be asleep, and I'm bored.

I almost always say hello to riders I pass or am passed by. If they start a conversation, however, I'll probably go back into my shell, take the next turn to somewhere I've never heard of, or simply stop and wait for them to go away. I just don't have the breath, brainpower or desire to talk to people when I'm on my bike. I don't do it even if I'm on a (very rare) group ride.

I do do the 'pass on the flat, die on the hill' thing because I'm overweight and underfit but reasonably strong, so I can go fairly quick on the flat but as soon as the road introduces verticality, I'm fucked. Conversely, I can pass you really fast on the downhill bits. Sadly, there just aren't enough of those where I live, and those there are have an annoying habit of being associated with uphills. I also have some reasonably nice bikes and a few items of expensive kit (no Castelli, I think), so I probably fit the brief. On those rare occasions I overtake anyone in my bit of very rural Suffolk, I do try to pass with a decent amount of clearance however - and, if there's enough breath to spare, a 'hello'.

« Reply #94 on: 30 March, 2021, 07:18:07 am »
I wouldn't expect any less of you, Tim. I've not met you, but I'm pretty confident  you are a sociable person, and aware of others.

Deliberate close-passing is pretty anti-social behaviour already, ignoring a greeting just confirms it. So yeah, they get another unexpected 'hello' from me, and it rarely needs a hill. Apparently this is bordering on abuse  ;D  But, this is yacf so ridiculous hyperbole and moralistic crowing is to be expected.

Solo I've usually got banging music going on, sometimes on club rides too, but that doesn't stop me acknowledging other humans. Conversations do occur, even on commutes (rural). Both parties have to be up for it, obvs, but socially and emotionally intelligent people know how to work that one out.

I see the same bunch of people commuting in the opposite direction sometimes for years. Nearly all will give a wave, a hello and usually a grin. There is one miserable cunt who just scowls (cosplaying kitwanker too) but that just means my hellos have become more exuberant over the years, yes, just for my own petty amusement.   Encountering people going the same direction is rarer, because it requires a big speed differential, but I know some of them by name now. I haven't had to interrogate it out of them using threats and a bright lamp...they are just...you know.. social people capable of a conversation. There's a mile long flat drag race stretch at the end of my commute, and I usually try to hold 30mph down it, if I see someone ahead and I sense that they might be up for it I sometimes shout "jump on'", and we'll chain gang it. Great fun. <awaits the forum monobores outrage at this>

Chris N

« Reply #95 on: 30 March, 2021, 07:39:23 am »
I just don’t understand why you need to ‘punish’ someone for not saying hello, or why you feel the need to keep going on about it.

Unless you’re just trolling, in which case stop being such a cock.

« Reply #96 on: 30 March, 2021, 08:03:19 am »
See thread title. Saying hello as a punishment. Good one. One small paragraph refers to this. The bulk of my post is about social interaction. If you aren't interested don't read it. If you are bothered by my posts, dont read them. You could ignore it. As can everyone. Strangely enough this entire forum is almost entirely full of people 'keeping going on' about stuff, and guess what...they don't need your permission so to do.

As for calling me a cock, very excellent.

ravenbait

• Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #97 on: 30 March, 2021, 12:20:21 pm »
See thread title. Saying hello as a punishment. Good one. One small paragraph refers to this. The bulk of my post is about social interaction. If you aren't interested don't read it. If you are bothered by my posts, dont read them. You could ignore it. As can everyone. Strangely enough this entire forum is almost entirely full of people 'keeping going on' about stuff, and guess what...they don't need your permission so to do.

I wouldn't bother any more, but I'm not going to let accusations of "moralistic crowing" go unanswered. Other than being in a thread about close passes, and thus possibly you thought it was implied, nothing in your original post says anything about the behaviour or otherwise of the passing cyclist except with respect to what they are wearing and riding and whether or not they say hello. You don't even mention them passing particularly closely in your original reply to this thread; you just say "any cyclist", which is where my initial disagreement came from. If anything, the moralistic crowing is you going on about how you are entitled to a response.

Me and my mate, Steve, go noobsurfing on our rides. The rules are thus: Should any cyclist overtake us and not respond in kind to our cheery greetings we are to allow them to build up what looks like an unassailable lead,  and then upon a nod of agreement reel them back in, but not too soon. The skill is to get the timing right, know the route, so that the catch occurs about a third of the way up a climb, just as they are dying. Being both seasoned fixed gear riders it is only ever going to end one way. Naturally we relish the opportunity to extract a resentful hello from them. The funniest are the ones who refuse to make eye contact and just give a feint nod. Bonus points if they are riding deep rimmed carbon wheels and full Castelli in winter/spring.

Nobody owes you social interaction. Nobody owes anyone social interaction. (Thinking otherwise is what leads men to yell, "Smile, luv.") Sure, it's friendly, but maybe someone doesn't feel like being friendly. Maybe their dog just died. Maybe they just lost a relative. Maybe they are the reincarnation of Greta Garbo. Maybe they have major social anxiety and/or introversion and getting out on the bike takes them away from having to interact with human beings. Maybe that's the only kit they've got. Maybe they've only got one bike because they bought it off a posh mate during lockdown. This is the only point I've been trying to make. The impression I get from your posts is that you consider anyone who doesn't say hello to be a wanker.

If someone close passes you on the bike and you catch them up, maybe try, "Could you leave a bit more space next time? Thanks!" I've done this -- I'm blind on my right side and I hate close passes or people riding on my offside (unless they are offering a ready supply of jelly babies, like Mrs Pike does). Friendly, and might improve the behaviour. Surely we should be encouraging people and helping them share road space considerately if we can, rather than enacting some sort of revenge that the other cyclist may not even realise is a response to something you perceive them to have done? If all we do is catch them and say hello really loudly, it's not going to change anything.

The whole "noob" concept reminds me of this XKCD strip:

https://xkcd.com/1053/

Loads of people have taken up cycling this past year. It's brilliant. I hope they keep cycling. The more cyclists there are, the safer the roads are, which makes my life better. I don't care if they've spent ten grand on something spun out of fairy jizz and spider tears because they haven't had to shell out on gym fees and fuel for their Porche SUV for 12 months. I don't care whether or not they say hello. They are making my life better just by being out there on a bike. If they pass me too closely, I'll ask them to leave more space, but generally I only get close passes from cyclists in chain gangs when I'm out by myself.

And motor vehicle drivers, obviously.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

LMT

« Reply #98 on: 30 March, 2021, 12:25:43 pm »
Put better than I ever could for sure^.

I'm putting a line under this thread, as the saying goes:-

'Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

« Reply #99 on: 30 March, 2021, 12:36:55 pm »
It's...err...kind of implied in a thread title called "Close passes", and an OP that is all about close passes from cyclists that my reply (quite early in the thread) is also going to be about close passes. Sometimes people are so eager to get all stompy on their self-imagined moral high ground that intelligent reading of a post doesn't happen. This is not uncommon on Internet fora.

We've already been through this many times with you banging on about me not mentioning this and not mentioning that, and me then pointing out to you that I had. When I haven't I have provided you with clarification, but you respond with accusations of 'changing goalposts', or just ignoring the clarification totally.  You are doing it here again with a 'but in your first post you said'. It makes me think that you are just here to point score.

We've already done the 'smile luv' and women thing to death. In fact, you and a couple of others have exhausted pretty much every possible scenario possible in an attempt to avoid the one that actually happened. My OP was not about you. You weren't there.

Yeah, sure, it's great that people are discovering cycling, but no, dickpasses are not cool.  You are now suggesting I should ride up and confront their behaviour. I don't want to do that...I prefer to just model good behaviour and encourage cycling etiquette by saying 'hello'. Twice, if needed.