Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369382 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1400 on: 28 December, 2020, 10:18:12 pm »
We may need to start a thread for "random things shouted at cyclists" as the man who called "Nice Carradice" to me as he cycled past me up the hill could not really be described as an oik...

« Reply #1401 on: 28 December, 2020, 10:36:31 pm »
It exists, but hasn't been used in a while...

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39016.msg740978#msg740978

« Reply #1402 on: 29 December, 2020, 11:56:35 am »
I stopped at a zebra crossing, as pedestrians were waiting to cross.  An oncoming driver did the same.
Parent to small child, as they crossed: "These people are kind to stop for us, aren't they?"
Me: "Not really, we're just obeying the law, like we're supposed to."

You are obviously right, but I'm amazed at how many times I said "thank you" to someone who just obeyed the law. Perhaps, as a cyclist, I'm no more expecting people to behave sensibly!

A

« Reply #1403 on: 30 December, 2020, 07:44:21 pm »
You are obviously right, but I'm amazed at how many times I said "thank you" to someone who just obeyed the law. Perhaps, as a cyclist, I'm no more expecting people to behave sensibly!

A

I've always seen it as positive reinforcement.

---------------------------------

Someone shouted something at me earlier, fuck knows what though, I was belting along drafting a bus.

« Reply #1404 on: 01 January, 2021, 12:54:58 am »
I went through a phase of refusing to thank people for following the law - and I still refuse to thank people who stop at a zebra crossing (because then I'd have to do the same for people who stop at red lights, etc) - but I agree that you catch more flies with honey, so smiling and waving at people for not being dicks is now my thing.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Davef

« Reply #1405 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:32:56 am »
If you patiently wait on the pavement next to a zebra crossing most drivers will stop to let you cross, but this is not a legal obligation.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #1406 on: 01 January, 2021, 10:06:12 am »
Stick your foot on it though, and you can call the police on them when they've mown you down.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1407 on: 05 January, 2021, 07:16:05 am »
I went through a phase of refusing to thank people for following the law - and I still refuse to thank people who stop at a zebra crossing (because then I'd have to do the same for people who stop at red lights, etc) - but I agree that you catch more flies with honey, so smiling and waving at people for not being dicks is now my thing.

This,

Yesterday, separate occasions on narrow roads with no safe overtake. Environment agency van, driver patiently sitting behind me through around arm of twisty bits, got a cheery thank you hand wave.

Two utter morons in a Monday, on a far narrower, windy road with no real overtaking spots and poor forward visibility, but I knew widened out after about 4-5km. They were sat behind me after about 2km, revving and surging, including one aborted unsafe overtake attempt in a field entrance.  Without the revving and surging I'd have pulled in, but by this point was feeling less than charitable and was doing 20mph anyway.

When they finally passed me, slow handicapping from the passenger, got another cheery wave from me.
I passed them stopped in a farmyard about 2km further up the road FFS
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1408 on: 05 January, 2021, 08:16:36 am »
Two utter morons in a Monday, on a far narrower, windy road with no real overtaking spots and poor forward visibility, but I knew widened out after about 4-5km. They were sat behind me after about 2km, revving and surging, including one aborted unsafe overtake attempt in a field entrance.

I'd far rather have an idiot like that in front of me than behind, even if it meant stopping for 10 seconds to let them past.

« Reply #1409 on: 05 January, 2021, 08:52:11 am »
Yeah, I usually let them go in that scenario.

What happens fairly often though, is that you catch the person you let past as they stop/pull-in/reverse for an on-coming car that you would have otherwise slinked on by with ease.

Still. 'Share the road' applies to all users.

ElyDave

« Reply #1410 on: 05 January, 2021, 08:55:43 am »
There really is very little room there, literally a car's width.  I have no idea how they get some of the farm machinery down there.

Normally I do pull in but yesterday I had a tail wind and was making use of it.

« Reply #1411 on: 05 January, 2021, 01:24:40 pm »

What happens fairly often though, is that you catch the person you let past as they stop/pull-in/reverse for an on-coming car that you would have otherwise slinked on by with ease.

I get that a lot especially when going through Bisley, I've run out of politeness some years ago so they just get heckled with extreme prejudice.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

ian

« Reply #1412 on: 05 January, 2021, 01:38:26 pm »

I get that a lot especially when going through Bisley, I've run out of politeness some years ago so they just get heckled with extreme prejudice.

It's common around here, the road near us is effectively single lane with parked cars, so there are limited overtaking opportunities but many drivers think a cyclist can enhance their convenience by becoming two dimensional. So rather than wait, they do their aggressive revving thing which is, at best, annoying. One of the more unpleasant incidents of my cycling career happened there, a van behind me, doing the usual, lots of yelled abuse, but really there was no way they could get past. I finally turned off and a beer bottle flew past my head, lobbed out of the driver's window. Generally, these days, if I know there's a car stuck behind (and really it's never going to be more than 30 seconds), I'll let them past.

And most of the time, I'll catch up anyway, as they have to stop for oncoming traffic negotiations. It's a pretty awful road with no parking restrictions and too many cars.

ElyDave

« Reply #1413 on: 05 January, 2021, 03:43:39 pm »
No parked traffic in this case, just a river bank on one side, a very narrow, cambered, windy road, and a drop off into fields on the other side. I've ridden the full 10km length of it without seeing a single car on some days, it's that mega-FEN.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1414 on: 02 February, 2021, 05:54:18 pm »
Somewhat off-topic, as I wasn't on a bike, but I heard from the open window of a passing scrap-laden pickup truck the unmistakeable "Mister Walker!" in basso profundo as I was walking home from the park this morning. My guess is that the individual concerned is still hollering at his former teachers even though the school in question closed in 1981.

At least it wasn't "Wawka ya wanka!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1415 on: 02 February, 2021, 06:24:06 pm »
Also off topic, a small child, in a passing car, yelled something at me as I was out running the other day.
As I run without my hearing aids in, I had no idea what they were saying.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1416 on: 02 February, 2021, 07:23:18 pm »
Some oiks beeped at me and shouted something through the passengers window, which was wound down. I didn't hear it properly because my hat has oik-shout blocking technology (ear-flaps). I'm sure it was the peak of subtlety and wit.

« Reply #1417 on: 02 February, 2021, 09:26:57 pm »
Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #1418 on: 03 February, 2021, 02:07:45 pm »
While I was in the middle of fixing a puncture some woman came over and said something in such a strong Scottish accent that the only word I understood was "bicycle". As I'm pre-programmed to assume such things are hostile, I grunted and made no further response. My mother thinks this was rude of me...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1419 on: 03 February, 2021, 02:55:03 pm »
That reminds me:

Motorist: How much does that cost?[1]
Me: If you wanted a new one, about three grand.  Add another 500 from next month[2], because they come from Germany.
Motorist: Better hope you don't get a puncture then.
Me:  ???

[1] This is a regular recumbent question, particularly from younger people.  I think it's trying to assess the coolness of something they have no experience of in terms they understand, rather than sizing you up for a mugging.
[2] Dating this conversation left as an exercise for the reader.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1420 on: 03 February, 2021, 08:30:25 pm »
"How much does it cost?" was a common question in India of my non-spectacular mountain bike. "Kitna?" (Hindi – I wasn't in the Hindi belt but I guess it was assumed Hindi was more Anglo-friendly than local languages). Sometimes I gave the real answer, sometimes I adjusted down, sometimes I exaggerated for effect. It was always several times the price of a Hercules or BSA roadster, regardless.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1421 on: 19 February, 2021, 06:22:08 pm »
"Ehh! The dentist wot fucked up my teef 's got one of those!"

I think this is officially the most random thing I've had shouted at me while cycling.  Presumably they're not good enough at dentistry to afford a Pinarello...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1422 on: 08 March, 2021, 05:34:01 pm »
"G'wan you absolute soldier!" - woman pavement-BSOing downhill while I half-arsedly winched myself up.

Also got the perennial "What the FUCK is that?" from some teenage boys on mountain bikes, who had evidently waited until I was past to ask the question.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #1423 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:24:12 pm »
"Ehh! The dentist wot fucked up my teef 's got one of those!"

I think this is officially the most random thing I've had shouted at me while cycling.  Presumably they're not good enough at dentistry to afford a Pinarello...
Maybe it just reminded them of the chair?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #1424 on: 12 April, 2021, 11:14:06 am »
‘Get out of the way, you are blocking the f*****g traffic’

As we were ending a small group ride at a roundabout with one lane taking the first exit and one the second so two of us were in the right hand lane and two in the left for all of 20 seconds doing a healthy 18mph

Crap road design and no cycle lane but there’s no need to be rude
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped