Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638160 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #2925 on: 18 December, 2020, 05:41:40 pm »
Back in the summer, on my way to the Co-op, I went past a garage where a bloke was fettling a 1950s tandem. Italian, I think. Sort of cruiser style. Had a chat with the owner. Today I saw him (and it) again. It's almost finished, but he needs to recover the saddle, which he's trying to do himself. The rails are okay but needs new leather. It sounds like a job that's actually less simple than you'd think.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2926 on: 22 December, 2020, 12:54:37 pm »
An E-fat-trike, or fat E-trike, or something. Jorvik Odin. It looked brand new.

Looks identical to Electric Bike Technologies Electric Fat Tire Trike (youtube link) apart from the name and the wattage.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2927 on: 24 December, 2020, 06:53:35 pm »
just been looking up thread at the Meteorworks bike. What a lovely looking machine. Quite taken by the mudguards. Does anyone know what make they are? I landed on these threads on a root through boards that I don't usually look at. Surprised what you find when there's not a lot on your usual pages. Thanks.

« Reply #2928 on: 24 December, 2020, 07:54:01 pm »

« Reply #2929 on: 25 December, 2020, 05:44:22 pm »
Thank you Nikki, I am sorely tempted for a new bike early next year.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2930 on: 28 February, 2021, 08:52:32 pm »
Among the huge numbers of bikes on the Bristol-Bath Railway Path today – I've never seen it anywhere near so busy – was a family group of dad on a 90s mtb, little girl on a Frog or something similar, and boy on a trail-gator thing – seat, pedals, back wheel, no front wheel, hitches on to back of dad's bike – but this one was recumbent! First I've seen.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2931 on: 28 February, 2021, 09:46:31 pm »
Among the huge numbers of bikes on the Bristol-Bath Railway Path today – I've never seen it anywhere near so busy – was a family group of dad on a 90s mtb, little girl on a Frog or something similar, and boy on a trail-gator thing – seat, pedals, back wheel, no front wheel, hitches on to back of dad's bike – but this one was recumbent! First I've seen.

Cool.  Closest thing I've come across is the Hase Trets which is a child-sized delta trike that can have the front wheel replaced with a hitch to make it a trailer, erm, bike.  (Does that make the usual kind a trailer-unicycle?)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2932 on: 28 February, 2021, 10:24:08 pm »
Had a look. Possibly that was it but I think it looked a bit more homemade. To my shame, I didn't even notice the number of rear wheels.  :facepalm: The path was so busy and I guess I was just happy at going for a bike ride... Boy was pedalling but didn't look as if he was really putting out any power.

Anyway, Hase do make some cool stuff.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2933 on: 28 February, 2021, 10:28:23 pm »
https://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/framebuilding/attachment/recumbent-trailerbike/

There are a few homemade and rare small-run recumbent trailerbikes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2934 on: 01 March, 2021, 07:16:28 am »
Was it the WeeHoo Igo? https://www.weehoo.co.uk/

I've seen a couple of them in use.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2935 on: 01 March, 2021, 08:22:10 am »

Cool.  Closest thing I've come across is the Hase Trets which is a child-sized delta trike that can have the front wheel replaced with a hitch to make it a trailer, erm, bike.  (Does that make the usual kind a trailer-unicycle?)

I've come across the term 'Dicycle' to differentiate a vehicle with two wheels side-by-side from a bicycle with wheels front and rear.  Abbreviating in the normal way would create all sorts of confusion, I fear.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2936 on: 01 March, 2021, 09:49:44 am »

Don't think it was that, and the kid looked a bit bigger than those. Good suggestion though!

I've come across the term 'Dicycle' to differentiate a vehicle with two wheels side-by-side from a bicycle with wheels front and rear.  Abbreviating in the normal way would create all sorts of confusion, I fear.
Double-track two-wheeler would describe it ; but dicycle is neater!

« Reply #2937 on: 13 March, 2021, 10:57:21 pm »
Passing in the opposite direction, a flam orangey-red Bob Jackson; pretty though it was, the unusual bit was that the frame must have been at least 27" - I didn't think they made such oversized ones.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2938 on: 13 March, 2021, 11:06:29 pm »
(Tries to remember the brand of the red 29” frame that used to dangle from a gallows outside Covent Garden Cycles when Norman Hiller ran it; fails)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2939 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:31:24 pm »
I think Dave Yates made a 31" road frame; presumably at this point you're having to get custom-drawn tubing...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2940 on: 15 March, 2021, 12:32:45 am »
You could buy plain-gauge 531 in gert big long lengths back in the Olden Days - the main chassis tubes of the pedal car we built over the winter of 1982-3 must have been at least 2 metres long.  Butted would have been a different matter.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #2941 on: 27 March, 2021, 10:38:33 pm »
Seen this time last year, an odd specimen wedged in a tree, out in Fenland.

RobertW

• Robert
« Reply #2942 on: 03 April, 2021, 06:03:06 pm »
Not quite a bike ... A single wheel 'Segway' trundling down a lane near W Ashling.  Looked rather strange when approaching from behind, I was expecting it to be some kind of e-scooter.  The rider's road sense let something to be desired, when he turned R at a T junction onto the RH side of the road I was ready to take evasive action if he veered to the left as I passed.

« Reply #2943 on: 06 April, 2021, 07:09:49 pm »
Seen in Slough this morning. Based in Langley apparently  :)
52 inch wheel  :thumbsup:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nuM221NVkjUotSMh9
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #2944 on: 06 April, 2021, 07:17:57 pm »

Don't think it was that, and the kid looked a bit bigger than those. Good suggestion though!

Double-track two-wheeler would describe it ; but dicycle is neater!
Back in the century before last it was a toss-up whether dicycle or bicycle would become the accepted term for yer average bike.

« Reply #2945 on: 06 April, 2021, 08:02:37 pm »
You could buy plain-gauge 531 in gert big long lengths back in the Olden Days - the main chassis tubes of the pedal car we built over the winter of 1982-3 must have been at least 2 metres long.  Butted would have been a different matter.

Columbus Aelle was available (and probably still is) in standard 6m lengths. I am not sure what range of sizes. Standard cromoly (25Cr4?) is available in all sorts of sizes in similar lengths, or was until quite recently. Light aircraft builders use it apparently (but when I was looking all the sources were in Germany or RPC).
531 was much favoured by custom motorcycle frame builders. It's worth remembering that bicycles aren't the only things built from nice steel!

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #2946 on: 29 April, 2021, 04:40:13 pm »
A friend of mine has acquired a pre-war French bike very similar to the one in the photo with the French woman on board; in particular the chainguard is styled like a bird's wing (see photo), and the style of the frame looks identical. Otherwise my friend's bike has been painted black all over with no indication of the make (see second photo below). An interesting detail is that it still has the tag that during WWII French people were required by the occupying nazi forces to attach to their bikes with name and address details (I imagine that after the war most people got rid of these!). Your challenge, should you wish to accept it, is to ID the make of this bike:

The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

Nelson Longflap

« Reply #2947 on: 30 April, 2021, 05:50:05 pm »
Apologies to those who couldn't see the photos in the first version of my previous post ... it certainly wasn't my intention to suck you into the google domain.  I've used a different hosting service for the images which seems to work well enough.

Sorry there are no more clues ... French; chainguard shaped like a bird's wing; 700B tyres (if it had tyres).

Any ideas?

« Reply #2948 on: 30 April, 2021, 09:37:36 pm »
Hirondelle?

Nelson Longflap

« Reply #2949 on: 01 May, 2021, 09:47:18 am »
Thanks Poacher.

Hirondelle was my first thought as well. Their fancy chainguards were about the same size, but embossed with a swallow's head over the chainring with the tail forming the actual guard over the chain.

I haven't ruled them out, but can't find a chainguard like that in their old posters and online images (although my searching may be sub-optimal ...).