Author Topic: Non-oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 3430 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Non-oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« on: 06 October, 2010, 09:51:38 pm »
As I was cycling to my silver class last night, on the cycle path through Bruntsfield Links, a little boy with a fantastic afro came running towards me. I was covering the brakes in case he didn't stop, but he stopped a little way away, put his hand in the air and shouted "HIGH FIVE!"  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
Re: Non-oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2010, 09:56:06 pm »
Could well have been street rap for 'gimmie your wallet!' ;) ;D
Old enough to know better!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:04:20 pm »
When I was in Derbys. last month I spent some time stodging round the cycle path which circumnavigates Carsington Water. A father and his small son, aged about four I would guess, were walking towards me hand in hand. I heard the father say "Yes, Tom, he does look like Father Christmas!"

Without looking at the father, I stopped, got off the bike and crouched so that I was on the level with Tom and said very quietly "Actually, Tom, I am Father Christmas, but I'm on holiday. Don't tell anyone you've seen me else they will all want presents." Initially, Tom scowled at me in a manner that only small children can, but by the time I finished talking to him and got on my bike and rode away, he had a huge grin on his face.

I reckon Tom will never forget the time he met Father Christmas at Carsington Water. :)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:14:18 pm »
That's really weird. As I was cycling home last night, a little lad stood at the kerb with his arm out, like he was flagging a bus down although he wasn't at a bus stop.  It was only after I'd passed him that I suddenly realised he might be after a high five from the passing cyclist.  Is this a new phenomenomenon?
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:26:08 pm »
...street rap...

Damn, I wish I was as down with the kids as you...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:26:33 pm »
That's really weird. As I was cycling home last night, a little lad stood at the kerb with his arm out, like he was flagging a bus down although he wasn't at a bus stop.  It was only after I'd passed him that I suddenly realised he might be after a high five from the passing cyclist.  Is this a new phenomenomenon?

Loads of it on PBP in 2003, all the kids in the villages would line up for high/low 5s.  I misjudged my speed on one, and nearly knocked the little lad over.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:33:52 pm »
I've high (or low, according to bike) fived random teenagers on a few occasions.  While I'm wary of groups of older, dodgier-looking ones, if they're obviously just out for a bit of harmless fun I'm happy to oblige.  After all, on balance of probabilities, that's what I'm on the bike for in the first place.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2010, 08:42:54 pm »
My only concern would be of the more mendacious yet innocent-looking yoof who wants nothing more than to pull you off.  However, on a 'bent trike it's a fair bet that they would come off worse  :demon:

I have had "cool bike" shouted at me when I've been out on my Moulton.  I feel duty bound to reply "Clearly you are a refined and educated young person!"  Or something to that effect...

« Reply #8 on: 07 October, 2010, 09:19:07 pm »
Some time ago whilst out cycling on our local ex-railway line, now linear park. I caught up with a lady walking a dog which was on a long leash stretching right across the track.

As I got closer, I rattled the gears a bit and clicked the brake levers, hoping that this would alert her to my approach and give her time to reel the dog in.

She must have heard me, as she pulled the dog far enough across the track to let me past.

As I passed her, she said in a very tetchy voice, "bike needs a bell".

I replied, "Needs a muzzle", and rides on.

She calls, "he's wearing one".

I shout back, "Didn't mean the dog". :demon:

......and rides swiftly away.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #9 on: 07 October, 2010, 10:01:24 pm »
As I passed her, she said in a very tetchy voice, "bike needs a bell".

I replied, "Needs a muzzle", and rides on.

She calls, "he's wearing one".

I shout back, "Didn't mean the dog". :demon:

......and rides swiftly away.

:D :thumbsup:

Loads of it on PBP in 2003, all the kids in the villages would line up for high/low 5s.  I misjudged my speed on one, and nearly knocked the little lad over.

Get a row of kids and you have PBP dominoes. :D

I was high fiving kids in Turkey last year. A lot of Turkish children were saying, Hello, " as I cyled past their homes. I thought that was pretty good, as I'm sure that "Hello" isn't a Turkish word, so those young kids must have worked out that I was English and knew the English greeting.

« Reply #10 on: 07 October, 2010, 10:42:12 pm »

I was high fiving kids in Turkey last year. A lot of Turkish children were saying, Hello, " as I cyled past their homes. I thought that was pretty good, as I'm sure that "Hello" isn't a Turkish word, so those young kids must have worked out that I was English and knew the English greeting.

It's the blond hair
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #11 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:11:10 pm »

It's the blond hair

I have brown hair.

Well, I have some brown hair.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:15:47 pm »
I have brown hair.

Ah! They knew you were English 'cos you had no kecks on?
It is simpler than it looks.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #13 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:21:16 pm »
When I was in Derbys. last month I spent some time stodging round the cycle path which circumnavigates Carsington Water. A father and his small son, aged about four I would guess, were walking towards me hand in hand. I heard the father say "Yes, Tom, he does look like Father Christmas!"

Without looking at the father, I stopped, got off the bike and crouched so that I was on the level with Tom and said very quietly "Actually, Tom, I am Father Christmas, but I'm on holiday. Don't tell anyone you've seen me else they will all want presents." Initially, Tom scowled at me in a manner that only small children can, but by the time I finished talking to him and got on my bike and rode away, he had a huge grin on his face.

I reckon Tom will never forget the time he met Father Christmas at Carsington Water. :)

Just after moving to the east of Bristol, I was walking on a friday in the street with my daughter, she noticed all the Muslims guys and said "look Dad there are Father Christmas everywhere here"
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #14 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:22:05 pm »

It's the blond hair

I have brown hair.

So you do. It is relatively blond to darker haired people though.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:58:01 am »
On the 2006 3 Coasts Iddu and I were somewhere in the vicinity of Brighouse when a passenger in a passing motor-car leaned out of the window and shouted "Abuse!  Abuse!" at us.

This amused me.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #16 on: 08 October, 2010, 03:59:37 pm »

Nice one Baggers, I bet you made his day  :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 09 October, 2010, 10:04:18 am »
Young teenage girl watched me pass on the Faired Catrike, and turned to her mate......

"That guy rides the coolest bikes!"

......if only she hadn't added "for an old bloke!

« Reply #18 on: 09 October, 2010, 11:41:29 am »
A young lad shouted "zoom" at me a while back. Made me grin.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #19 on: 09 October, 2010, 06:30:46 pm »
While waiting at traffic lights a woman in a ragtop Mini alongside me said
"nice arse"
:-[

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 09 October, 2010, 06:49:18 pm »
People with poor eyesight shouldn't be allowed to drive >:(