Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 452609 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2150 on: 29 March, 2015, 08:25:19 am »
Indeed. It's why he chose to start 10 days behind Steve, and what he has to do.

Steve's last 7 days have returned 1488.3 miles, which is pretty much exactly what he needs to keep up for the rest of the year as an average. In the same period, Kurt has done 1558.6, 10 miles a day more. At that rate, Kurt would overtake Steve on 12th July or thereabouts.

Go Steve!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2151 on: 29 March, 2015, 10:32:12 am »
245.6mi @19.8mph with over 6k of climbing. A very strong day.

A-s-t-o-u-n-d-i-n-g-!

« Reply #2152 on: 29 March, 2015, 12:46:20 pm »
Indeed. It's why he chose to start 10 days behind Steve, and what he has to do.

Steve's last 7 days have returned 1488.3 miles, which is pretty much exactly what he needs to keep up for the rest of the year as an average. In the same period, Kurt has done 1558.6, 10 miles a day more. At that rate, Kurt would overtake Steve on 12th July or thereabouts.

Go Steve!

Although I do note on the Strava weekl overviews that the gap in mileage difference per week is decreasing. If I remember correctly, there have already been weeks where Steve logged more miles as Kurt. So I don't think that 12th of july is the date where Kurt will overtake Steve.

LMT

« Reply #2153 on: 29 March, 2015, 02:17:26 pm »
Awesome ride from Kurt, I'm afraid Steve's pride in spending 6 hours riding 50 miles in a 30mph headwind has come back to haunt him. Time for Kurt to put in a another massive day whilst Steve recovers from sleep dep.

GO TARZAN

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #2154 on: 29 March, 2015, 02:25:46 pm »
I'm afraid Steve's pride in spending 6 hours riding 50 miles in a 30mph headwind has come back to haunt him.

This is conjecture. In the circumstances, neither appropriate nor welcome. Let's wait and see.

LMT

« Reply #2155 on: 29 March, 2015, 02:49:50 pm »
I'm afraid Steve's pride in spending 6 hours riding 50 miles in a 30mph headwind has come back to haunt him.

This is conjecture. In the circumstances, neither appropriate nor welcome. Let's wait and see.

Regardless, there's no shame in saying enough is enough, tomorrow is another day and getting a lift back to the hosts house in Exeter. He could of have got a good six/seven hour kip and then be cooking on the way to the East Coast.

« Reply #2156 on: 29 March, 2015, 02:56:35 pm »
GO TARZAN

I hope this is not the case and he'll be back on the bike again shortly... That said, I do have to question the logic of riding headlong into the wind for 15 hours straight. It seems the better option would be to ride loops on such days. 

LMT

« Reply #2157 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:05:25 pm »
GO TARZAN

I hope this is not the case and he'll be back on the bike again shortly... That said, I do have to question the logic of riding headlong into the wind for 15 hours straight. It seems the better option would be to ride loops on such days.

Careful Jacamo, making a valid point giving constructive criticism will more than likely get you flamed by Steve's clique that he has on here.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2158 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:08:47 pm »
Perhaps I should have written phone, rather than signal. Land lines work. If a native USA-ian is travelling in his own country and needs to connect to the internet each day, he needs to do whatever needs to be done to ensure that happens.

Indeed.  Given the availability of a support person and motor vehicle, a satellite phone is probably overkill, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to have a POTS modem and dialup account on standby just in case.  (I'm vaguely aware that vast swathes of the rural US are broadband-impaired, also).

Mods, pls to start a new board: Tarzan's modem init strings. kthxbai.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2159 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:16:31 pm »
LMT,

I don't understand why you post such negative and inflammatory stuff.   You are one of a very very small minority who is clearly not supporting and applauding the efforts of both riders, but instead have nailed your colours to the mast and will troll away regardless.  It's really quite unpleasant and spoils what is otherwise an amicable and pleasant internet place to be.

Please be more thoughtful when posting in the future.     

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2160 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:21:24 pm »
LMT isn't trolling, just pointing out some facts, albeit in a manner that some don't appreciate.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2161 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:22:54 pm »
Anyone who uses "could of have got" should be on an ignore list anyway  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #2162 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:24:50 pm »
LMT isn't trolling, just pointing out some facts,

You confuse facts with opinions.

« Reply #2163 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:28:23 pm »
You only have to read his response to Jacamo's post to understand his underlying intent IMO.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2164 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:32:35 pm »
To some extent, LMT is correct in this instance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2165 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:37:50 pm »
Just because (some of) what he says is correct doesn't mean that the manner in which he says (some of) it isn't trollish.

And I don't think I've seen anything to suggest
Steve's pride in spending 6 hours riding 50 miles in a 30mph headwind has come back to haunt him.
is fact rather than speculation. "An incident on the A38" could mean many things.

LMT

« Reply #2166 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:37:57 pm »
LMT,

I don't understand why you post such negative and inflammatory stuff.   You are one of a very very small minority who is clearly not supporting and applauding the efforts of both riders, but instead have nailed your colours to the mast and will troll away regardless.  It's really quite unpleasant and spoils what is otherwise an amicable and pleasant internet place to be.

Please be more thoughtful when posting in the future.     

I've made no such comments at all and I wish both riders the very best regarding this record. Unlike some others on here that have somehow felt that Kurt has gatecrashed ( for want of a better word ) Steve's attempt and have had sly dig after sly dig at his manners and approach regarding the weather, terrain and the fact that he's using a bent.

Pointing out and giving constructive criticism is not the same as trolling and ironically is sometimes what you need when taking on a record of this magnitude. And AFAIK the only times I've made such comments on Steve's attempt have been with respect to signing up to the UMCA rules to get his ride ratified in the thread that FB set up, comments in the same thread regarding his strategy of doing out and back rides when I would have been doing circuits around MK, and here and now with respect to his sleep dep, you don't need to be residing at Baker Street to realise that riding the way he rode yesterday will exhaust the system and it needs to recover, and perhaps I am being unfair here but it is up to his crew to say no, you need some more rest. I hope to see Steve at the G&Y fields audax where I will wish him all the best.

But I admire Tarzan more, his sprit and sense of humour when faced with challenge after challenge through lack of planning has endeared me to him, as well as his daily videos on FB, therefore:-

GO TARZAN

« Reply #2167 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:38:55 pm »

I was out all day yesterday on The Dean so I had no idea where Steve had been until this morning.
I must admit, when I saw he was returning from the South West today I almost did a double take and thought OMG, that trip must have been bloody awful, a relentless onslaught without a minute's peace.
Garry Broad

LMT

« Reply #2168 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:44:39 pm »

And those that feel the need to point out typo's to make a point should be banned.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2169 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:48:01 pm »
 ;D

There there.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2170 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:48:16 pm »

And those that feel the need to point out typo's to make a point should be banned.

That was unfortunate ...
</pedant>

LMT

« Reply #2171 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:51:29 pm »

That was unfortunate ...
</pedant>

i was being ironic.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #2172 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:53:07 pm »

Yes he is!  Slogging away into a headwind & covering a relatively short distance for the time &.effort used is wasteful.  Hopefully it's a lesson learned & hopefully nothing serious has happened today & he's getting some much needed rest. 

Allez  Steve
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

hillbilly

« Reply #2173 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:59:19 pm »
Kurt's latest Facebook video gives an insight into what he lugs around in his backpack.

(click to show/hide)

I'm going to guess that a backpack is preferred to a saddle bag because the former can be more aero, even if it interferes with temperature regulation.

Kurt's occasional insights into his attempt are rather engaging.  Make's his daily effort a we bit more tangible.

<Edited to correct for relationship status of his Crew Chief>

« Reply #2174 on: 29 March, 2015, 06:49:54 pm »
... I'm afraid Steve's pride in spending 6 hours riding 50 miles in a 30mph headwind has come back to haunt him. ...

Feeling smug now?  ::-)
With respect, that was posted yesterday.

It's terrible what has happened to Steve today. I'm sure we all wish him the best.