Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 153379 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #75 on: 17 March, 2016, 09:07:36 am »
Does it count as utility if you're going out to chatter, eat biscuits and drink tea/coffee/beer with cycling bods, but there's no actual social riding involved?

I think if you were dressed as a cyclist it doesn't count.  If you were in civvies it should be OK but I think you're pushing it.  To make sure you don't fall foul of the rulz I'd do a bit of shopping whilst you're out  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #76 on: 17 March, 2016, 10:47:53 am »
Buying beer counts as shopping, right? Wetherspoons is a supermarket chain, isn't it?  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #77 on: 17 March, 2016, 10:51:54 am »
Buying beer counts as shopping, right? Wetherspoons is a supermarket chain, isn't it?  :)

That's it, you've crossed the line.  Buying beer in 'spoons is not shopping.  Buying beer in a container (no, not your tummy / bladder) and taking it home to consume is shopping.  Come along now, sort yourself out  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #78 on: 17 March, 2016, 11:04:25 am »
*cowers meekly*
*in a utilitarian fashion*

Oscar's dad

« Reply #79 on: 17 March, 2016, 11:05:48 am »
*cowers meekly*
*in a utilitarian fashion*

You're forgiven  :thumbsup:

« Reply #80 on: 17 March, 2016, 02:23:45 pm »
Volunteer Lock Keeping - first day of the season.
The machine is carrying my life jacket, windlass, litter picker, lunch, leaflets, first aid kit. It's about 3.5 miles from home to here. Here is Kings Lock just outside Leicester.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #81 on: 17 March, 2016, 02:24:29 pm »
And a camping chair!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #82 on: 17 March, 2016, 02:39:27 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #83 on: 18 March, 2016, 04:29:59 pm »
Today's trips to the gym and into town to buy food and booze for the weekend saw me and Penelope go over 100 miles ridden together  :thumbsup:  Because I so enjoy whizzing around town on my orange bike I now contrive trips but its safe to say most of the 100 miles would previously have been done in a car.

A Witham taxi driver, a sub-set of the human race not normally noted for their compassion towards cyclists, patiently sat behind me whilst I assumed the primary position to pass safe through a traffic calming installation - he was rewarded with a cheery wave of thanks.  I had a chat with the chaps finishing a new traffic light controlled pedestrian / cycle crossing on Spa Road, it should be working next week and they've done a nice job.  The new foot bridge over the River Brain looks to be nearing completion too.

We celebrated cresting over the 100 mile mark with a picture in the park on the way home:

And we stopped by the river Gauging Station which has recently been painted by local school kids to commemorate those who fought in WW1:

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #84 on: 18 March, 2016, 04:37:53 pm »
Man, those murals are good. And terribly sad. Schoolkids, eh? Amazing. Hope the local Mayor gives them a good star or something.

BTW, cycling to the pub or other social event defo qualifies IMO. It would only be non utility of you then went for a ride together. And wearing civvies is essential to remove any doubt.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #85 on: 18 March, 2016, 04:43:03 pm »
Man, those murals are good. And terribly sad. Schoolkids, eh? Amazing. Hope the local Mayor gives them a good star or something.

Yep, talented school kids

BTW, cycling to the pub or other social event defo qualifies IMO. It would only be non utility of you then went for a ride together. And wearing civvies is essential to remove any doubt.

A useful clarification!  Thank you.  It would appear I owe Cudzoziemiec an apology  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #86 on: 18 March, 2016, 05:03:58 pm »
It's okay, OD, I didn't take it too seriously anyway (in fact, I wasn't asking too seriously either!). Anyway, today I've got some real, genuine, 100% kosher, beyond all doubt utility riding to report: up Cranbrooke Road (a bit of a hill) to the school uniform shop to get a shirt and sweater for Jnr. Parked outside the MP's office (not my constituency) as those are the only railings available. Great fun coming back down, wooh!

« Reply #87 on: 18 March, 2016, 05:14:41 pm »
To mini-h's school for Academic Mentoring Day (er, actually, Academic Mentoring 10 minutes). Him on his newish (ex-spesh) Specialized carbon rocket ship and me on the retrieved-from-dustbins Kona hybrid. Good blat. And I was def in civvies.
Rust never sleeps

Oscar's dad

« Reply #88 on: 18 March, 2016, 05:23:18 pm »
... And I was def in civvies.

I will have to post a photo of my daft Utilitarin Adventures woolly hat.  At the moment its in the wash as it got a bit sweaty.  I fancy that soon it will be too warm to wear the aforementioned silly hat so I'm busy thinking about a warm weather alternative.  I was wondering about a proper cycling cap, worn with civvies obviously, but I'm concerned it might be against the rules.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #89 on: 18 March, 2016, 07:03:38 pm »
I was going to say I bet your daft woolly hat isn't as daft as mine, but then I remembered I was addressing the custodian of the Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny...  :D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #90 on: 18 March, 2016, 07:26:12 pm »
I was going to say I bet your daft woolly hat isn't as daft as mine, but then I remembered I was addressing the custodian of the Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny...  :D

We'll need a "hat off"!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #91 on: 19 March, 2016, 06:49:13 pm »
To Ciren & back to drop off a scrip for MrsLurker and to pick up some prints from the photie shop.

Lots and lots and _lots_ of eastbound cyclists on the Saltway as I was westbound.  Thought it was an Audax, but saw direction arrows being taken down on the return trip so must have been something else. Mebbe something for Sport Relief as there was a pretty wide age range.

Stopped to photograph* the cute baa lambs (hmmm Κλέφτικο) for MrsLurker on my way back and was also overtaken by a bloke on a soot bike.  His jersey said, "Rocket".  Not lying.

*Shock! TheLurker has a camera again. Only 43 years after giving up photography as too bloody expensive.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #92 on: 19 March, 2016, 07:58:34 pm »
To the local leeshure centre with youngest to play badminton. My wife asked me why I'm not driving...

rr

« Reply #93 on: 19 March, 2016, 10:22:20 pm »
Couple of hundred metres to the petrol station to drop off a parcel.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #94 on: 21 March, 2016, 09:27:37 pm »
View from saddle on failed attempt to reach town. Defeated by heat, shoddy roads, and lack of prep (taking water would have been wise!)

Will try again tomorrow.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #95 on: 21 March, 2016, 10:36:53 pm »
That's probably the most heroic utilitarian adventure we're going to see for a while   :thumbsup:

« Reply #96 on: 21 March, 2016, 10:40:24 pm »
Wow, that looks like Borneo or something. I thought you lived in Hampshire!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #97 on: 22 March, 2016, 05:27:49 am »
The bit on the right looks fairly English. I think the bit on the left is probably hiding the odd Japanese soldier who doesn't realise WW2 has finished.

« Reply #98 on: 22 March, 2016, 07:18:35 am »
I'm still intrigued as to exactly where this is all happening.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #99 on: 22 March, 2016, 08:31:20 am »
The keys to riding in a sub-tropical climate are a shady hat, lots of water, a siesta, the right constitution and a week's acclimatisation. Also not riding a pile of rust and seized bearings. Hmmm, maybe a horse would be easier?