Author Topic: Fuelling the Trangia  (Read 5414 times)

Fuelling the Trangia
« on: 11 June, 2018, 10:52:39 pm »
I've been using bio ethanol supplied in 5l tubs from Go Outdoors in the Trangia for the last couple of years as it seems to burn cleaner than regular meths.  However on a recent visit to re-supply I was told that it's no longer stocked and instead pointed towards the gel fuel stuff.

Does anyone know of other suppliers of bio ethanol?  If not I'll use regular meths but I've come to quite like the clean burning stuff.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Fuelling the Trangia
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2018, 12:37:28 pm »
I've been using bio ethanol supplied in 5l tubs from Go Outdoors in the Trangia for the last couple of years as it seems to burn cleaner than regular meths.  However on a recent visit to re-supply I was told that it's no longer stocked and instead pointed towards the gel fuel stuff.

Does anyone know of other suppliers of bio ethanol?  If not I'll use regular meths but I've come to quite like the clean burning stuff.

I bought 25l of the stuff on ebay, 5 friends split it and had a 5l tub each.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2018, 05:51:25 pm »
It never occurred to me to check ebay/amazon and such having assumed that you couldn't easily send liquid fuels by mail order.  I've also discovered that its can be found in B&Q for £6 for 2L.  I'll check the local hardware store before going to B&Q mind.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2018, 07:46:40 pm »
Surely gel fuel wouldn't work in a Trangia. It'll burn, but I wouldn't have thought the jets around the edge would appear.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:48:58 pm »
Surely gel fuel wouldn't work in a Trangia. It'll burn, but I wouldn't have thought the jets around the edge would appear.

As far I can remember, you replace the burner of the trangia with the tin of gel fuel

« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2018, 05:48:04 pm »
Look what just turned up in my Amazon recommendations  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B5T7CTM/ref=pe_4652421_264229591_em_1p_3_ti

That'd keep me in camping trips for a while, though I don't think I've got the cupboard space.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2019, 08:38:48 pm »
TopTip for Trangia users.  When you’ve run out of meths, and 2 supermarkets, a shoe repair place, a garage & the local “cheap & cheerful “ shop have none.  Try the friendly local pharmacist, meths, yes, no problem, it’s on this shelf behind the counter.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2019, 08:41:13 pm »
TopTip for Trangia users.  When you’ve run out of meths, and 2 supermarkets, a shoe repair place, a garage & the local “cheap & cheerful “ shop have none.  Try the friendly local pharmacist, meths, yes, no problem, it’s on this shelf behind the counter.

And if it's not, they'll probably have some surgical spirit (burns okay, but the smell will cause flashbacks to grazed knees in primary school) or isopropyl alcohol (burns hot and sooty).

« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:29:40 pm »
The easiest way to clean up a meths flame is to add a little water to the fuel.
This cools the flame a fraction so you get better combustion.
It only gets silly silly when you get to 1/3 water and 2/3 meths.
It's harder to light and bring thing to the boil slow but it's the ratio I use if I want to cook thing at a very slow simmer with little risk of burning the food to the pan.
The plate has fallen off my simmer ring so I alter the flame temp with water.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 11 September, 2019, 10:35:48 pm »
Related tip: If you smear washing up liquid on the bottom of the pan, the soot just magically wipes off.

(I've only ever done this for SCIENCE.  Seems a bit of a faffy thing to do when camping, as the loose soot washes off pans about as easily as burnt-on food, and can therefore be removed with normal washing-up tactics.)

In practice you don't really get much soot on the pans if you're using the simmer ring, which makes it mostly a Brown Drink drinker problem.

« Reply #10 on: 12 September, 2019, 06:53:20 pm »
Cotswold Outdoor sell Vango branded 1l bottles of bioethanol .
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/vango-1-ltr-bio-ethanol-spirit-D3522011.html

rr

« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2019, 07:03:08 pm »
Buy it in France

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #12 on: 12 September, 2019, 08:18:42 pm »
Buy it in France

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Ah oui, alcohol a brulee. ;D
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #13 on: 12 September, 2019, 08:32:34 pm »
Not welcome on Eurostar unfortunately.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: 13 September, 2019, 08:24:36 pm »

If you can collect from South Wilts I can bring some home at the end of the month.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #15 on: 14 September, 2019, 10:31:53 am »
You may wish to take a look at https://ekofuel.org/, Martin

« Reply #16 on: 14 September, 2019, 02:39:40 pm »

If you can collect from South Wilts I can bring some home at the end of the month.
Thanks for the offer, I am using a gas version atm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #17 on: 23 September, 2019, 09:50:21 pm »
Ellis Brigham sports, I bought 1l of bioethanol, vango I think, not going to ye shedde to check
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens