Author Topic: Edge stopped since yesterday  (Read 108 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
Edge stopped since yesterday
« on: Today at 03:03:12 pm »
Edge applied an update yesterday am according to the folders on the C drive. It worked OK until this morning when the PC suddenly restarted. I now can't open it, it was monetarily flashing up a screen with the "Restore" to open all the tabs which it normally does if it's switched off unexpectedly but now nothing not even a Window. In Task Manager it flashes up momentarily with Suspended in the Status column when I click the Edge icon then disappears. I've tried closing all the other programs I can (best I can get is 3% CPU / 58% memory) and repairing using Windows I also opening as Administrator. My understanding is that Edge is part of the OS so cannot just be deleted and reinstalled.

I'm running the latest version of W10 and have 118GB free disk space.

Any else noticed this? and "use Chrome" is not an option as I have no browser! the PC shows the weather and news headlines plus receives email (Windows Live Mail) so it's definitely online

(I'm posting remotely via my work PC the only way I can get in)

Re: Edge stopped since yesterday
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:20:10 pm »
Try starting it in private mode. That should start with the default settings etc. ie from a command prompt:
Code: [Select]
start msedge –inprivate
Or download Chrome on another PC, and copy across on a USB stick?

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
Re: Edge stopped since yesterday
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:25:25 pm »
I managed to create another version of myself as a family member and Edge works fine when I sign in; bit of a PITA though as all my other data and docs are under my normal account, will have to copy across on a USB stick.

Try starting it in private mode. That should start with the default settings etc. ie from a command prompt:

didn't work; there is an option to do that by right clicking the icon which also doesn't work. The problem seems to be that for my normal login it thinks the browser has stopped and wants to restore the tabs (there weren't many). The settings on the C drive are the same for both accounts.