Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 515284 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
My solitary bhut jolokia pepper is almost ready ...

... just in time for when I do a curry for the office lunch in a few weeks time  :demon:

(it came though about 3 months after the other plants had finished fruiting ... still, better late than never)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Haggis is wonderful. What makes it especially good is that the veggie version is in no way inferior to the meaty version.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Actually that's true. I like veggie haggis and meaty haggis.

Never had veggie haggis.
We're going to friends on Saturday and I expect there will be haggis (and probably whisky)  :smug:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Mac Sween's make them and Waitorse sell them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Tesco's Cinnamon buns.

YUM!

Seriously considering going back to get another, despite the fact it's a real PITA to get from here to there...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

chicken bovril tastes like pork pie

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
This could be a solution to my pork pie cravings.

We had two in the fridge on Tuesday, I bet they aren't still there when I get home on Friday.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Loosening my belt after a superlatively good Sunday roast at Bishopston Supper Club. Bristol peeps, I'd thoroughly recommend checking it out.

Julian

• samoture
My parents came round for dinner and I cooked a really fab lasagna - a meaty one for me & parents, and a veggie one for Charlotte.  And Charlotte cooked luuurvely rice pudding for pudding.

*carbfest*

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Before Christmas, my coffee habit was getting a bit out of control and was affecting my sleep and making me irritable (even more irritable than usual). So since the start of 2014, I've adopted the strict rule of no caffeine after midday, and now limit myself to a cup of tea first thing in the morning when I wake up, and a coffee when I get to work.

So, I've had my morning coffee and... I'M NOW BOUNCING OFF THE FUCKING CEILING!!!!!!

Blimey. It used to take at least four or five cups to get me in this state.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
I was working in Den Bosch today and elected to drive rather than take the train. On the outskirts of Utrecht I passed a BP service station with a MARKS AND SPENCER FOOD STORE. Naturally I've already passed the exit. On the return route the service station on my side of the road is Shell and therefore useless. Cue diversion to go 3km further turn around 3km back and do the same to turn around.
I now have a Chicken and Leek pie warming in the oven, Mini pork pies in the fridge and various sticky English deserts.
Ah the things ex-pats will do for a bit of 'home' cooking!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

I was working in Den Bosch today and elected to drive rather than take the train. On the outskirts of Utrecht I passed a BP service station with a MARKS AND SPENCER FOOD STORE. Naturally I've already passed the exit. On the return route the service station on my side of the road is Shell and therefore useless. Cue diversion to go 3km further turn around 3km back and do the same to turn around.
I now have a Chicken and Leek pie warming in the oven, Mini pork pies in the fridge and various sticky English deserts.
Ah the things ex-pats will do for a bit of 'home' cooking!

Looking at M&S's website looks like there are 6 M&S food at BP in the Netherlands now, http://www.marksandspencer.eu/Our-Stores/store-finder,en_NL,pg.html It also looks like they are opening a normal store in The Hague

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My parents were disappointed with their Kosher yoghurt.
I suggested they make their own using a spoonful of live kosher yoghurt and full-cream milk.
Success!   :) :)
Mum says Dad said it was the best they'd had for ages!

In November when making some sloe gin,I put in  some blackcurrants that were in the freezer. They added a bit of depth to the colour of the sloe gin. Today, I discovered that sloes sink but blackcurrants float so the blackcurrants were rescued and baked into a white chocolate blondie (ie chocolate brownie but with white choccy) Baking was done by my daughter.

see     http://www.lakeland.co.uk/r80240/White-Chocolate-and-Raspberry-Blondies

SAM_3713 by madcow99, on Flickr

Ruth

I've succeeded in spending an evening cooking with my son.  I think he's rather enjoyed cooking from scratch - even though it's taken a while for him to do it.  I just said 'it'll get faster every time you do."

clarion

• Tyke
I'm eating an RJ Foods Original Flapjack.  I've had them often.  They're great cycling food, partly because they can take having the crap beaten out of them at the bottom of a saddlebag full of tools for a couple of weeks and still come out moist and tasty.

But, rather disconcertingly, the current one tastes distinctly of bananas. :-\
Getting there...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Tonight's omelette was the best I've made for years  :P

i try and stick to UK-grown food but mrsmike went shopping today, bought some tomatoes and they're absolutely fantastic - not sure if they really are that good or if it's just because I'm missing tomatoes... 

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Just been to the canteen as I fancied caek.

Amongst the choices was Crème Egg Brownie and Banananananananaaaaaaaaaa and Walnut Caek.

So, of course, I had to get a piece of each :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

In recent months we have had more than a few bottles of semi-skimmed milk that have gone off or separated well before their sell by date.
Getting a bit pissed off with this .

hellymedic

• Just do it!
In recent months we have had more than a few bottles of semi-skimmed milk that have gone off or separated well before their sell by date.
Getting a bit pissed off with this .

Are these from a shop, supermarket or milkman?
Our milkman has sometimes supplied us with old or stale milk.

As it's now 79p per pint, I complain every time.

usually supermarket ,can be Mr Sainsbury or Mr  Morrison. We can get it from the village shop and the Spar 3 miles away.
Sometimes take it back and complain but it's a real faff.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It's a real faff, I agree. I've never had old milk from Sainsbury's online but supermarket milk has a use-by date of 8 days ahead of purchase date. I'd be wary of anything beyond 3 days before use-by.
Small shops can be bad for retaining the cold chain.

Ruth

So I was enthusing in the anaesthetic room about Dr Stuart's Valerian tea, and how it knocks me out at night like a general anaesthetic, and then got laughed at because it turns out valerian and diazepam are the same kind of stuff.  And I've been using two teabags a night.  Yep, my name's Ruthie and I'm dependent on benzodiazepines  :facepalm: