Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 511706 times)

I did try poached eggs again this morning using a different technique. Much much better though I left them in slightly too long, only a smidge though.

Had two eggs, each from a different box. I've heard people say the freshness makes a difference and boy was it noticable.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Today there was Angel Delight, which I probably haven't eaten since I was 10. I was mildly surprised to discover they still make it.
Butterscotch is the best one.

When I was a teenager I had a job in a supermarket, on the tills, and over time I noticed that if a person is buying one packet of Angel Delight, it will almost always be butterscotch. If they're buying two, one will be butterscotch. The other one will probably be strawberry or chocolate. Not many people buy the other flavours.
We bought chocolate. Little's choice. I don't remember seeing butterscotch but there was definitely strawberry - odd though that I remember that but I can't remember where we got it! He tends to like butterscotchy things so we'll try that - if we see it again. We might even get two cos one packet doesn't make a great deal for a hungry child and a greedy parent.  :P
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I like angel delight, strawberry is best although chocolate can be nice.

I have never had butterscotch angel delight.  The idea doesn't appeal! 

Cudzoziemiec

I'm having terrible midnight sugar munchies. I've had two chocolate spread sandwiches, something jammy and now I've gobbled up a huge amount of chocolate-coated brazil nuts. I can blame the talk of Angel Delight, but really it must be time to go to bed.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
My cousin decided on banana Angel Delight as the desert at her wedding reception. 

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Do you eat cats?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Yogurt knitting experiments #2 & 3 are underway.
In flask 2 I have semi skimmed which I will strain after incubation, flask 3 I have semi skimmed plus milk powder, which I will decide whether to strain or not after it's been knitted....

#2 - Hmm, straining. I removed 150ml whey from 400ml yogurt. So I ended up with only a pot and a half of yogurt, and the half pot (which I scraped off the muslin) was a bit too thick for my taste. Seems a bit wasteful to me.

#3 has a good thickness but a little bit grainy texture. I'm inclined to repeat this experiment, either by adding the powdered milk before heating or using a little bit less.

I will still try with the whole fat milk at some point but it needs to be when I've got 2 flasks free because there's no way I'm drinking the leftovers!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My cousin decided on banana Angel Delight as the desert at her wedding reception.

Oooh. If I ever get married I might have butterscotch Angel Delight with sliced banana and hundreds and thousands.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Er, I appear to be mixing a batch of butterscotch angel delight - how did that happen ??? ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.

Oooh. If I ever get married I might have butterscotch Angel Delight with sliced banana and hundreds and thousands.

If my cousin's wedding was anything to go by, it will be a hit.

<Bleaugh!>

Never liked Angel Delight. Of all the flavours I'd only have liked the chocolate, but it wasn't a nice chocolate flavour...  So far, MFWHTBAB and I have settled on a cake of cheeses (and a cake of cake), and cheesy pineapple on sticks. 

Tonight I had a vegetable curry for dinner. Any resemblance to the ratatouille I made on Saturday is coincidental. Or leftovers.

(Even better, there was enough to make 2 portions, so I have an easy dinner again tomorrow)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

I loved butterscotch Angel Delight when I was a Small Child. I haven't eaten it for over 40 years, & have no wish to do so ever again. Tastes change.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter

I loved butterscotch Angel Delight when I was a Small Child. I haven't eaten it for over 40 years, & have no wish to do so ever again. Tastes change.

+1

Julian

• samoture
I still love butterscotch angel delight. 

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Today I was at my boss' house watching him brew beer (properly, from scratch). Then he showed me how to make a dough from the spent grain left over from the mash. I have a loaf in the oven right now and will be interested to see how it turns out :P

You have a bun in the oven after visiting your boss???
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Loaf, I definitely said loaf, not bun :)
Soon to be plural too.

Cudzoziemiec

We now have three varieties of Angel Delight at home. More tastily, I've eaten four huge slices of mrs Cudzo's semolina apple pie.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Yogurt knitting experiments #2 & 3 are underway.
In flask 2 I have semi skimmed which I will strain after incubation, flask 3 I have semi skimmed plus milk powder, which I will decide whether to strain or not after it's been knitted....

#2 - Hmm, straining. I removed 150ml whey from 400ml yogurt. So I ended up with only a pot and a half of yogurt, and the half pot (which I scraped off the muslin) was a bit too thick for my taste. Seems a bit wasteful to me.

#3 has a good thickness but a little bit grainy texture. I'm inclined to repeat this experiment, either by adding the powdered milk before heating or using a little bit less.

I will still try with the whole fat milk at some point but it needs to be when I've got 2 flasks free because there's no way I'm drinking the leftovers!

What I want to know is how Mrs. Pingu gets on with straining whilst at the same time clenching.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Linda McCartney red onion & rosemary veggie sausages are delicious.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LindaG

I have made napolini for tea because it was cheaper than fettucini, and now realise that my tea looks like a big plateful of noodley appendages  :sick:

Last week, when MFWHTBAB and I went out to Caffe Nero for breakfast coffee, I tried a pot of their porridge. It was rather nice.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Last week, when MFWHTBAB and I went out to Caffe Nero for breakfast coffee, I tried a pot of their porridge. It was rather nice.

I enjoyed mine too, on 1st August. Did you have the fruit compôte?

I enjoyed mine too, on 1st August. Did you have the fruit compôte?

No, I was naughty and went for maple syrup. When I make it at home, I like to have muscavado sugar on it. But when I make it at home, I'm often in a hurry and rush it, so it's sometimes a bit more like just oats in hot milk. The Nero stuff was nice and creamy. Another time, I think I'd save the money on the maple, and just add a couple of little sugar sachets...

MFWHTBAB had never liked porridge, but tried a spoonful and liked it. He wonders if his dislike in the past was because of the normal milk, and he might try to make some with the Lactofree stuff

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Microwave porridge is so easy (and cheap) that experimenting is worthwhile.
David liike sloppy porridge - 20g oats + about 120ml milk. Zap on full for 2 minutes.
Top with fruit.