Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 507962 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
I used plain pastry. Very thin, they went down well.

I'll be doing another batch today, for breakfast tomorrow. :D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I made a huge batch of spiced orange & apricot chutney earlier this year and gave it to people as Christmas presents. I was a bit anxious about it because I've never made chutney before, but dad and I opened his jar last night and it is nommy. I made spiced pickled pears too but we haven't opened those yet.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Our house smells of ham simmered in a court bouillon, now cooling in the stock (the ham, not the house).

All ready for Boxing Day - ham, bubble 'n' squeak and pickles being my favourite Christmas meal.  :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

My mum's neighbour's grandson snuck up to his room on Christmas Day with a big tin of Celebrations and ate the whole lot before anyone noticed he or the tin were missing.  :o

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Celebrations all on his own? It would have been kool if he'd had a gang with him.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Wondering if Basil could persuade his Cadbury mates to fill the light-eating hole on Linden Road with the stuff they make creme eggs out of.  It's bound to be more durable than whatever it is the council are using.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Mrs Pingu is the Midnight Baker

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Did you hear about the Midnight Rambler?
Every body got to go
Did you heard about the Midnight Rambler,
the one that shut the kitchen door
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Anyone any good suggestions for quiche?
Nomally I just bung in some cooked onions, peppers, asparagus and a bit of goats cheese but I'm open to suggestions.
I do have un-fond childhood memories of Markies' quiche lorraine tho, (dunno why, i like bacon) so nothing that tastes like that.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Nom! Miss Emily has made pumpkin pie :)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Basil

• Help me!
Wondering if Basil could persuade his Cadbury mates to fill the light-eating hole on Linden Road with the stuff they make creme eggs out of.  It's bound to be more durable than whatever it is the council are using.
I'll have a word.  See what we can do.  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

*has a giggling fit*

:D

Basil

• Help me!
 :thumbsup:
 ;D

Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

... I made spiced pickled pears too but we haven't opened those yet.

I make these too. There are utterly amazing with cheese & biscuits.  :thumbsup:
I like maps me

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5

*has a giggling fit*

:D

Aaaah! I thought that parcel was Postie not ringing doorbell error and threw it into the living room on my way out while cursing Royal Fail...  A hand-delivered parcel from Basil makes much more sense :)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
The chippy in Grange over Sands wraps up your one of each in real newspaper.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The chippy in Grange over Sands wraps up your one of each in real newspaper.

I thought that was banned under food hygiene regulations, on account of the risk of Daily Mail contamination?

clarion

• Tyke
It's got round by NW chippies by having a plain inner wrap, and newspaper on the outside.  Tudor Chippy and Grandma Pollards in Tod (well, Walkden for Pollards) both did this.
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

... I made spiced pickled pears too but we haven't opened those yet.

I make these too. There are utterly amazing with cheese & biscuits.  :thumbsup:
They have prove to be pretty awesome with stilton.

Today I used the spice grinder my brother gave me for Christmas to make my own garam masala. It smells awesome.

Today I made the following:

Ten burgers which I've frozen.
Pork, beef, Guinness and Dijon mustard.

Three portions of Delia's spicy chicken which I've tweaked with mushrooms, peppers and cous cous, to have for lunch during the week.

In addition to three portions of tuna, quinoa, ginger, 3 beans in chilli sauce, spring onions, cherry toms, gherkins and half a lime to dress it - to vary the weekday lunch.

All at the same time.

Next weekend I might try and go for four simultaneous dishes......  ;)

Cycling or messin' with food?

Not sure which I love more.

Take one electric cake pop maker, fill with mix:

Repeat until mix used up, chill, and cover with fondant or chocolate:

Result, Cake Pops!

Cake, and Food on Sticks, what's not to like!?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

mcshroom

• Mushroom
I've no idea why, but I decided to look up the dairy code for the ASDA 'made in Cumbria' cheese I have. I'm not impressed to find out that it comes back as a cheesemaker in Garstang, which is in Lancashire not Cumbria.

Garstang is probably a perfectly nice place and the manufacturer's location makes no difference to the cheese, but I feel a little annoyed that I've been lied to :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
Garstang is a lovely place, but definitely isn't Cumbria.  Never has been, as far as I can tell.
Getting there...

I've no idea why, but I decided to look up the dairy code for the ASDA 'made in Cumbria' cheese I have. I'm not impressed to find out that it comes back as a cheesemaker in Garstang, which is in Lancashire not Cumbria.

Garstang is probably a perfectly nice place and the manufacturer's location makes no difference to the cheese, but I feel a little annoyed that I've been lied to :(

They may have more than one manufacturing base and what you've got is the registered office address?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)