Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512396 times)

I'd like Nutella more if it had as much chocolate in it as I expect from the colour.

I'd like it more if it didn't have bloody hazelnut in it. Bleaugh.

I prefer non-nut chocolate spread, but I never actually buy any. Honey is my toast luxury.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
The nuts are a source of protein and fibre, so you can kid yourself that Nutella is proper food.  Couldn't do that if it was ALL chocolate.

Marmite and dripping is one of my toast luxuries.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I tried one of the new piri-piri flavour Pot Noodles. Not sure I'd go so far as to call it a guilty pleasure, because "pleasure" would be putting it a bit strong, but there is something strangely enjoyable about them. And it was a freebie - I wouldn't pay for one.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

The nuts are a source of protein and fibre, so you can kid yourself that Nutella is proper food.  Couldn't do that if it was ALL chocolate.

Nonsense, chocolate contains two of your five a day - chocolate comes from a bean, so that's a vegetable, and milk comes from grass, which is a vegetable.

According to my special dietary analysis, one chocolate eclair is four portions. Chocolate, plus wheat (a type of grass = vegetable), butter and cream (both from grass again....)

One of those, and you only need a few peas to get your daily needs.

;)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
It annoys me a bit, when public eateries make chilli very hot.

...but it happens so rarely, that you're likelier to find teeth on the hen from which the chicken tikka masala was made than a chilli in an eating establishment that actually tastes at all of chillis.  Also, if they are in any way hot, they are usually labelled as so.  unfortunately, public eateries also tend to label things as "DANGER: REALLY, REALLY, REALLY HOT BEYOND BELIEF!!!!" when in fact they should be relabelled as "mince with kidney beans that were cooked in the same room as a packet of ten-years-out-of-date-sun-faded-to-pale-orange cayenne pepper".  The fact that, almost universally, things sold in restaurants/pubs as "chilli" are so mild they may as well as be mince and dumplings with the dumpling fished out and replaced with kidney beans annoys me.

If they want to give people the option to have really hot chilli, they should provide some very hot sauce on the side.

By and large, that would work for me, although it would depend on the quality of the hot sauce, and would never be as good as having something cooked long and slow with a really fruity flavoured hot chilli such as the habanero/scotch bonnet/naga types.  I'm not a great fan of the rather chemical tasting heat you get from the likes of the ultra-hot Dave's Insanity Sauce/Arson Fire/Who Dares Burns/etc. condiments for example.

Most of the time, if you make the mistake of ordering the chilli and it is yet another mince-minus-dumplings-plus-kidneybeans on rice combos and you ask if they have any chilli sauce to pep it up, if you're really, really lucky, you'll be offered a nearly empty bottle of Tabasco (out-of-date and sun-faded, naturally).  :-\

I'd love to find somewhere that made a hot, flavourful chilli nearby here (in deepest Essex... I'm told that the Viper pub does a good hot one, but haven't sampled it yet).

(Arch - I'm not meaning to have a go, by the way ... just letting off steam in here in lieu of a Food and Drink Rant thread).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

I'm told that the Viper pub does a good hot one, but haven't sampled it yet

If you ask for the hot version, they always ask if you've tried it before. I assume because so many pussies complain it's too hot when they order it. It is very good.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

I'm hungry. Really hungry. all the time.

Had to remove all butter, hard cheese, cream, full fat yoghurt, milk from my diet. No saturated fats.

It's made me realise how many calories I was getting from dairy.

I Just Want Some Food that makes me feel full and doesn't leave me feeling hungry two hours later.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Pulses?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

It's my pulse I'm trying to keep going, thank you.

Already eat a lot. Going to have to be in habit of bringing some cooked food with me.

I've just eaten a whole 500g pot of Tescos lentil stew + 5 oat cakes and I'm still hungry. This is ridiculous.

[edit]
Have bought 2kg of cashews and almonds.

flapjack made with olive oil has been suggested. Sounds disgusting to me but has to be worth a try.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Add something sweet and (unsaturated) fatty. Try a small portion of halva or sesame snaps.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Had to remove all butter, hard cheese, cream, full fat yoghurt, milk from my diet. No saturated fats.

I Just Want Some Food that makes me feel full and doesn't leave me feeling hungry two hours later.

Low-fat foods have a horrible habit of doing this.
A little fat with protein can ward off the sensations of 'hungry all the time. Fat delays stomach emptying.
Have you tried a few nuts?  ;) ;D

You aren't wrong, Helen.
I've polished off a small desert bowl (maybe 2/3rds full) of nuts and am feeling more normal, thank you.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Nuts are around 6kcal/g.
Fine in moderation but beware the energy density.

Nuts are around 6kcal/g.
Fine in moderation but beware the with excellent energy density.

msg received, thank you.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

If this doesn't have the desired effect I can recommend Something Very Different for satiety & improved blood lipids.  ;)
(I'm just glad I'm not in your shoes, but looking at my family history, it's maybe only a matter of time  :-\)

Our cupboard:

I've got a shelf like that, only it's in the fridge, and the jars are of pesto.

Morrisons had one brand on offer last week, so I bought 3, and then Sainsburys had one on offer today, so I got another 2.

Should last me til June.

...but it happens so rarely, that you're likelier to find teeth on the hen from which the chicken tikka masala was made than a chilli in an eating establishment that actually tastes at all of chillis........ when in fact they should be relabelled as "mince with kidney beans that were cooked in the same room as a packet of ten-years-out-of-date-sun-faded-to-pale-orange cayenne pepper".  The fact that, almost universally, things sold in restaurants/pubs as "chilli" are so mild they may as well as be mince and dumplings with the dumpling fished out and replaced with kidney beans annoys me.

Totally agree Oaky. Nothing macho, but I like hot food, and more often than not, dishes you order out are a dissapointment.

Mind, I did once go to a dodgy back-street Indian in Dudley with a friend, who said they made particularly hot curries.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, heard it all before.

When we ordered, the guy said "Are you sure", to which I replied, "Bring it on".

2 minutes after I ordered, 2 guys in white appeared out of the kitchem staring at me when the waiter picked me out at the table.

5 minutes after it arrived at the table, I wished I hadn't ordered it.

30 minutes after it arrived at the table, I did finish it, (although by this time, I think my whole face had gone numb).

12 hours later.......well you can guess the rest.

I lived in Budapest for what seemed like a life sentence. This was tempered by the fact that the number of curry houses increased over the years. The Taj Mahal was one such place. Now, until I visited the TM, every other curry house had been a pale imitation of the balti houses I had frequented in Sparkbrook, Brum. So, when I saw the vindaloo on the menu, I assumed it would be the same strength as all the others, i.e. not at all. "Are you sure, sir?" was what I was usually asked, so I casually accepted the challenge.

Well, the years in Hungary had weakened my tolerance, obviously, and the TM had a proper chef. I DID finish it, but it took 45 minutes. On the journey back, I had to stop off. I'm sure you've all seen the splendour of the Gellert Baths in Buda? Well, my rear end redecorated one of its walls that night, thankfully in the dark and relatively discreetly. Whenever I see it pictured on a guide book cover, I have a little chuckle.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Walmart UK/ASDA have an offer on ales ATM. 4 for £5. Now, most other supermarkets limit the range of ales on their offers, but ASDA have their whole bottled range included. At least the Leamington one did, anyway. With Easter approaching, I stocked up enthusiastically. Nothing <5% and several significantly more, plus there were some gems there, including Batemans Victory Ale, Robinsons Old Tom and Guinness Foreign Export.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
@ Oaky: If the Viper does food in the evening, what about a MEMWNR there to sample the chilli? It's my dish of choice when I visit the Viper, and I always plump (the operative word) for the hot one. It is very, very good.

Twice in my career as an outrageous gourmand have I been defeated by chillis because the dish was so hot. The first, at least 20 years ago, was a vindaloo from an allegedly authentic restaurant in whatever the road in Bradford is called where all the curry houses were, and the other was a dish containing "chilli bulbs" when a YACF even occurred in an Indian restaurant near Lpoo St.

A pal of mine was defeated, and surprisingly, since he is normally a pretty mild-mannered chap, very annoyed with the pub for daring to serve such a dish, at the village pub in Pandy, north of Abergavenny, a few years back. They were the "Fiery Welsh Dragon" sausages. I didn't try one. This particular chap is normally very OK with hot curries so they must have been something pretty extreme.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
Lumb Lane.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
@Wowbagger: "my career as an outrageous gourmand" has to be one of the best (and I've no doubt most appropriate) phrases ever used on this forum!  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
I was sniffing a jar of Marmite the other night, big lungfulls of martmity smelling air, drooling and dreaming of hot buttered toast with lashing of Marmite on them.

Then I dipped my finger in and had a suck, and put the jar away with the wistful glance.

I was sniffing a jar of Marmite the other night, big lungfulls of martmity smelling air, drooling and dreaming of hot buttered toast with lashing of Marmite on them.

Then I dipped my finger in and had a suck, and put the jar away with the wistful glance.
Try this:
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 teaspoon olive oil
Directions:
  • Mix all ingredients in a coffee mug.
  • Microwave for one minute on high.
  • Slice in half, smother in butter and marmite

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.

Try this:
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 teaspoon olive oil
Directions:
  • Mix all ingredients in a coffee mug.
  • Microwave for one minute on high.
  • Slice in half, smother in butter and marmite

That was lovely, thanks for the recipe.

That's my Marmite fix for the day.  ;D

I couldn't find Linseed anywhere though, and ended up buying 3kg of the stuff :) I think it will take me a while to get through it.

Anybody want a 500g bag? It's dead easy to make flour out of it, 20 seconds in a bladed coffee grinder and it's done.