Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 513798 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Nom!  I like rhubarb, it's the only growing food thing my family can't kill.

Why does eating blue cheese always make me perspire?
Working my way up to inferior.

Maybe it's the tyramine...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyramine
http://www.livestrong.com/article/301453-list-of-foods-high-in-tyramine/

Thanks for that. The first link was way over my head, though I got the gist. The second was easier to fathom. However, I don't feel any ill-effects after eating the cheese, its just the sudden sweating on my brow. Must be a freak  :D

LindaG

If you don't want that cheese I'll  have it.

Pickled artichoke hearts look like alien giblets but taste divine.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Maybe it's the tyramine...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyramine
http://www.livestrong.com/article/301453-list-of-foods-high-in-tyramine/

Thanks for that. The first link was way over my head, though I got the gist. The second was easier to fathom. However, I don't feel any ill-effects after eating the cheese, its just the sudden sweating on my brow. Must be a freak  :D

Bottom line is that tyramine can be adrenaline-like in effects..

Because there quite a few people who take MAOI antidepressant drugs who MUST avoid tyramine, there's quite a lot of information about food tyramine content on the interwebs.

Thanks again helly. Luckily I've got this far without antidepressants, so cheese it is. Yum.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Cheese and sweat rags/tissues/headbands...

I've invented a new sort of breakfast. Since I can't eat wheat and I'm banned from dairy, getting breakfast is challenging.

Meet MrC's Breakfast bread (gluten free)

It contains flour, sugar, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sliced apples, raisins, cinammon, ginger and chilli.

Nom nom
<i>Marmite slave</i>

I've invented a new sort of breakfast. Since I can't eat wheat and I'm banned from dairy, getting breakfast is challenging.

Don't quite see your problem. Bacon egg & black pudding.

lol yeah sure that's easy to produce at work

Not to mention really not the best for someone with cholesterol problems.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Julian

• samoture
Black pud contains wheat.  Or at least, supermarket versions do.

Julian

• samoture
I was unusually hungry this morning so I've just scarfed down a sandwich for a (very) early lunch.  I'd finished it before I realised that it was mostly very very cheap mayonnaise, not much of the claimed thai green veg in it at all.  And now I feel slightly sick. 

*resolves to make own sandwiches*

hellymedic

• Just do it!

It contains flour, sugar, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sliced apples, raisins, cinammon, ginger and chilli.

Nom nom

What sort of flour?

Nom nom

What sort of flour?
Doves Farm Brown Bread Flour
one egg
 a bit of guar gum
a bit of bicarb
yeast & warm water
Then the other ingredients listed above
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Just had my signature breakfast bagel, reserved for occasions of extreme tiredness, mild hangover or weird 'argh! I'm really hungry this morning!'. Today is option 1.

Slightly toasted bagel
Smoked salmon
Salami
Black pepper
Tabasco

Nom!

Even though I order this bagel about once every 2 or so weeks, always from the same shop (and have done for about 2 years), they still give me that 'eh?' look when I specify no butter. ::-) :P
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Strawberries with honey, black pepper and popping candy. Try it. It really works.

I don't hold with cream on strawberries - it just kills them. Black pepper & honey is one of those things Delia or Gary or Nigel or Heston did on telly once and has been a popular foodie affectation ever since, but I actually like it.

The popping candy was just for lolz cos I found it in the cupboard and thought what the heck. Really glad I did though, because it seems to intensify the strawberry flavour.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I often add black pepper if I have strawberries but I hadn't thought of honey. I wonder if it would work with nectarines, which is all the fruit I have just now.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
What is "popping candy"?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

What is "popping candy"?
Nasty.

It's little (half a tic tac sized) sweeties that pop on your tongue

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
What is "popping candy"?

Space Dust.  Not that I want that or pepper or anything else with my strawberries :hand:  - except sugar if they're sharp.

Even cheap British strawberries should be sweet this year due to the long spring, that allowed longer roots and slower ripening.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

They were surprisingly good strawberries considering they were a special offer from Sainsburys, and yes, sweet enough to eat au naturel. You might therefore think adding honey and more sugar in the form of popping candy would be overkill but, strangely, it isn't.

Well, I don't think so, and I don't have a particularly sweet tooth.

Perhaps the popping candy works for the same reason that champagne goes so well with strawberries.

Fun anyway.

Julian

• samoture
Popping candy goes very well with champagne :D

citoyen

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Interesting, I had heard of strawberries and black pepper, but don't like honey so hadn't tried that.

My favourite way of serving strawbs is with a light vinegar, balsamic will do, but better is strawberry, black pepper and lime flavour, which we normally pick up a bottle of at the Dales Food Festival.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State