Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 508143 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
*To be honest, I'd go for 100% crumble, but apparently you have to have SOME fruit.... ::-)
And, as any fule kno, that fruit should be rhubarb.

Just sayin' ;)

Crumble War II in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

Rhubarb, goosegog or blackcurrant....or apple if none of those are in season.
And I used to do a fair savoury crumble years ago...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

*To be honest, I'd go for 100% crumble, but apparently you have to have SOME fruit.... ::-)

Nooo, the crumble's the nasty bit! 45% fruit, 5% crumble and 50% custard's about right. ;D

Nothing wrong with stewed fruit, & you can even add a token topping if that's what you like. Just don't call it crumble.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I've discovered that Americans have, apparently, a thing for eggs in ready-made forms we don't know:
a carton of egg whites
ready peeled hard-boiled eggs in a plastic bag

The weird one, though, is pre-scrambled eggs in a carton.

Fat free? How can scrambled egg be fat free?  ???  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Strangely, McDs use* real eggs'n'shells for the poached eggs but the carton'o'egg for the scrambled. They're not pre-scrambled - you pour the liquidegg into this weird contraption on the hotplate then vigorously slide it backwards and forwards until your arms ache to scramble it.

(or at least used to - I left over ten years ago)

Cudzoziemiec

So how, other than the two seconds to break the shells, does that make scrambled eggs - a pretty fast food anyway - quicker? The preboiled ones I can kind of see the point of, if you want eggs for a salad or a sandwich or some such but can't be arsed to boil them - but the carton of "quick eggs" I really can't see the point of.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
So how, other than the two seconds to break the shells, does that make scrambled eggs - a pretty fast food anyway - quicker? The preboiled ones I can kind of see the point of, if you want eggs for a salad or a sandwich or some such but can't be arsed to boil them - but the carton of "quick eggs" I really can't see the point of.

Being completely devoid of culinary talent (ideal McDs staff ;)), and not eating eggs, I honestly don't know. But that was the way McDs did it.

Cudzoziemiec

For catering, I guess all those two seconds add up and it also avoids tons of waste egg shells. But at home? They are being sold in supermarkets in the USA (I've never seen them rightpond but  I won't be surprised to hear they're in some larger supermarkets here too).

I'd guess that 'quick eggs' are not eggs, all the eggs and nothing but egg, but are instead egg white, skimmed milk and filler, to be a fat free low cal egg-like product. Even if they are, they can use cracked eggs from the farm factory.

The hardboiled eggs in packages are for ketosnacks. I could wish we had more convenience stores in Engerland (and Scotchland too) for those non-sandwich-and-pasty audax moments. (wo)Man cannot live by Babybel Alone.

Cudzoziemiec

They look yellow rather than white in the photo but I guess that could be down to 'filler' and the magic of the photography. The blog I found this in describes the product as ready-made scrambled eggs in a carton (there wouldn't be a huge amount of point me linking to the blog cos it's not in English. And it's not that great anyway) but that description is noticeably absent from the package itself, so I guess it could indeed be egg white and yellow crap. Thus it is both a 'real egg product' and fat free.

Not only ketonauts could eat ready boiled eggs while cycling. I think I shall take one or two with me next ride.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Morrisons sell pre-boiled, pre-peeled eggs as their sandwich counter. I think they come in pairs rather than a big bag though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

I shall ask the McEmployee in my house what's in their scrambled egg mix.
Morrisons sell pre-boiled, pre-peeled eggs as their sandwich counter. I think they come in pairs rather than a big bag though.
Aye, I've seen them in the odd garage. Mr Smith is allergic so I'd not be thanked for rushing out with nowt but a big grin anna hardboiled egg apiece.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow

I vaguely remember it just being pure egg "back in the day" when I was there, but it was a long time ago.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My mother buys litre cartons of pasteurised egg yolk, egg white and whole egg when she caters for large parties.

I suppose this is useful for mayonnaise, meringue and scrambled egg as well as for CAEK.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
And quiche, Helly.

I wish I could find such things in our local supermarkets, would make the production of Spanish Omelletes so much easier (the most boring part is cracking all the eggs and making sure you don't get any bits of shell in!)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

She thinks it has milk in too. Ingredients will be checked tomorrow.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It occurs to me that egg-inna-carton is worthwhile for McDs as it avoids shell fragment issues.  This is the company that got sued for coffee being hot, after all.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Egg inna carton is usually pasteurised so salmonella is less of a worry and shelf life is good.

There is such a thing as Too Much Cake. Who'd have thought it? :o

Shamelessly pimping my mates foodblog. It's very funny.
He fancies himself as a bit of a decent cyclist too. ;) Give it a look, he needs the hits.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
It occurs to me that egg-inna-carton is worthwhile for McDs as it avoids shell fragment issues.  This is the company that got sued for coffee being hot, after all.

That's the weirdest thing - we had Egg-inna-shell too. The Egg-inna-carton for scrambled, and Egg-inna-shell for poached. Bizarre.

We had bruschetta at lunchtime. Home-grown tomatoes, garlic, basil, & onion. The olive oil & seasoning was bought.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

We found a carton in the recycling once for egg whites, bearing the legend "Ready to Drink!"

:sick:

In other news, we've just been to my sisters. In preparation for a picnic, she'd bought me a bag of Cadburys Giant Buttons (well, they're bigger than the normal ones, I'd quibble about 'giant'). Anyway, I was restrained on the picnic, and ate a few, and handed a few round and the rest of the bag was resealed and went back in the hamper. Which went back in the car. Which sat in the sun all afternoon.

She put the bag in the fridge, so when I went to it later I found a lump that looked uncannily like one of those clusters of coins retrieved from Pompeii or Hiroshima...

I managed to chop it up and eat it though!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

She thinks it has milk in too. Ingredients will be checked tomorrow.
80% hen egg 20% whole milk.