Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 513603 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
It occurs to me that egg-inna-carton is worthwhile for McDs as it avoids shell fragment issues.  This is the company that got sued for coffee being hot, after all.

That's the weirdest thing - we had Egg-inna-shell too. The Egg-inna-carton for scrambled, and Egg-inna-shell for poached. Bizarre.
You can't poach egg-inna-carton.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Ruth

The fresh produce in Canada is amazing. Sweetcorn cut the same morning. Huge flavoursome tomatoes. Dozens of apple varieties (golden ginger - oooohhhhhhhhh).  It makes you realise how pathetic the British supermarket offering is. And the peaches ...

I have just turned our remaining blackcurrants & a few apples (one of our allotment neighbours has a surplus) into blackcurrant & apple jam, for about the price of Sainsbury's Basics jam.

The last was the hard part. Not only was it essential not to pay for any fruit, & to use recycled jars, but I had to seal the jars with dirt cheap waxed discs & cellophane from Wilkinsons (the alternative was a sheet of good old greaseproof paper & get out the scissors, as my grandmother did 50 years ago) & be careful with the price of the sugar.

'Jam sugar' with added pectin costs more than minimum price supermarket jam. Empty new jars from Lakeland cost over twice as much as jars filled with cheap jam, & I've not found anyone selling empty jars in retail quantities for less than cheap jam. Screw tops alone cost more!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Ruth

What did you do with all the cheap jam?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I checked online and Sainsbury's basics jam costs 29p a jar. That's pretty cheap! Though I suspect it might be more in a physical shop, and not all stock it. More to the point, did you manage to make something that tastes equally nasty? That would be harder to do...  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I have not tried Sainsbury's Basics jam but some Sainsbury's Basics products suit my taste better than the full-price alternatives.

Basics Cornflakes are thicker than ordinary flakes; They don't go soggy so quickly and feel more filling. 31p for 500 grams.
Basics Strawberries are often smaller, sweeter and more flavoursome. £1 for 250 gram.
Basics Jaffa Cakes taste fine but are not a lurid yellow colour. 80p for 24.

Cudzoziemiec

I agree about the Sainsbury's Basics range - some are great, some are awful, many are virtually identical to their branded, never mind full-price Sainsbury's, equivalent. I'm not entirely sure I've tried the basics jam either, but in general (IMO) cheap jam is pretty awful, unless you like artificially coloured sugary jelly stuff with a fruit-shaped taste. Which I don't. But I do like the Waitrose essentials range, which is I think 90p a jar and every bit as good as the £2 or more branded stuff.

Surely trying to match cheap stuff on price is doomed to failure. Sainsbury's basics jam is made at the Premier foods factory in Histon- they use thousands of tonnes of sugar, buy hundreds of thousands of jars and lids and have an economy of scale we can only dream of. (Or nightmare).
We have higher taste standards than basics jam, in my house. I like fruit in my jam, for a start.
(And have never ever ever wasted money on 'jam sugar with added pectin'. Particularly for apple and blackcurrant- that'd set without cooking it's got so much pectin in!)

Cudzoziemiec

I checked online and Sainsbury's basics jam costs 29p a jar. That's pretty cheap! Though I suspect it might be more in a physical shop, and not all stock it. More to the point, did you manage to make something that tastes equally nasty? That would be harder to do...  ;)
It's that price in physical shops.

My jam does NOT taste equally nasty. Like fboab & Cudzo, I like fruit in my jam, so mine consists of fruit, plus sugar. And that is it.

I think my point about the price has been missed. I wasn't really trying to match the basics jam on price. I was commenting on what I think is an insane pricing structure.

My fruit cost me work, but no money. I paid about 2p per jar for tops & labels, & paid for plain sugar. Everything else was free or recycled, & not costed. And even so, it cost about the same as Sainsburys sell a jar, with a screw top, containing a lot of sugar (some as fructose syrup) & a significant proportion of fruit. Each of those ingredients alone would cost more to buy retail than the entire Sainsburys product. It makes me wonder about the retail markups & how they differ.

How can Sainsburys get a single jar of jam (with screw top & label) on a shelf for less than the price of one jar, or screw top, in a multi-pack? Or the price of 300 grams of sugar in a kilo bag? It's a more complex product, sold in a smaller size, in far more expensive & complicated packaging than the sugar. Why isn't it more expensive?

Basics fruit & vegetables are often good, in my experience. They're more variable in size, appearance, & flavour than the standard stuff. The risk of a duff carrot, or whatever, is greater, but so is the chance of two or three superb tasting but misshapen apples or oranges in a bag.

Ruthie - I left the cheap jam on the shelf in the shop.  ;)
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I've stopped buying jam as I'm not eating much.
I still have some home made plum jam, made from home-grown plums.
The jam I like best is home-grown mirabelle jam. Even if jam sugar is pricy, the jam works out pretty cheap as the only costs are electricity and sugar. It's fruity enough. (Equal weights fruit and jam sugar microwaved till jammy.)

RJ

• Droll rat
What did you do with all the cheap jam?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I find it works quite well with Marmite and cheese in a sandwich.  At any rate, I can't think of anything better to do with it  ;)

I agree about the Sainsbury's Basics range - some are great, some are awful, many are virtually identical to their branded, never mind full-price Sainsbury's, equivalent. I'm not entirely sure I've tried the basics jam either, but in general (IMO) cheap jam is pretty awful, unless you like artificially coloured sugary jelly stuff with a fruit-shaped taste. Which I don't. But I do like the Waitrose essentials range, which is I think 90p a jar and every bit as good as the £2 or more branded stuff.

I do!

I like nice jam too. I'll be making plenty of my own this year.

I mostly live on Sainsburys Basics food*, much of it is fine, in fact I reckon some of it is the next range up rebadged as a loss leader.  MFWHTBAB, who does like real fruit, agrees on the quality of the strawberries especially.

*Mostly instant noodles, spaghetti, bread, tinned tomatoes, tinned tuna, mince.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

Interesting idea about the basics range being the better stuff rebadged. It might be true, though I doubt they make a loss on it. It's something that even 'posh' supermarkets (Waitrose) do nowadays (and it's been done for decades with clothes and fridges and stuff - and bikes of course!)

Interesting idea about the basics range being the better stuff rebadged. It might be true, though I doubt they make a loss on it. It's something that even 'posh' supermarkets (Waitrose) do nowadays (and it's been done for decades with clothes and fridges and stuff - and bikes of course!)

The Waitrose 'Essentials' range is hilarious, as it includes Coconut Milk and Balsamic Vinegar! Totally essential!

I'm quite sure the Basics tinned tomatoes are the same as the next range up.

In some cases, the criteria for being 'basic' seems to be something that's utterly unimportant, like fruit or veg in a bag not being all the same size. The actual food quality is a secondary consideration.

Thanks to Basics, and my willingness to eat the same thing for lunch everyday (I just need food, not culinary stimulation!) my work lunches work out at about 60p a day, and my dinner is usually a couple of quidsworth.  Which means I can afford treats at the weekend when I can enjoy them with MFWHTBAB...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
In some cases, the criteria for being 'basic' seems to be something that's utterly unimportant, like fruit or veg in a bag not being all the same size.

Yup, I'd go along with this. In some cases, the price difference may well be down to nothing more than the difference in the cost of the packaging. I know from my experience in magazine publishing that something as simple as the difference between two grades of paper, which may not be immediately obvious to the reader, can make a difference of many thousands of pounds to production costs. So if, for example, you're using slightly cheaper paper to label several million tins of "basic" tomatoes...

There are probably many other ways they can cut costs on the cheaper product too, without necessarily changing the quality of the product itself.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

There have been times when my shopping in the belt is entirely orange and white - the colours of the Basic packaging, plus an orange pepper and a block of Red Leicester cheese. I sometimes wonder if the cashier thinks I've got some sort of packaging colour OCD....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
There have been times when my shopping in the belt is entirely orange and white - the colours of the Basic packaging, plus an orange pepper and a block of Red Leicester cheese. I sometimes wonder if the cashier thinks I've got some sort of packaging colour OCD....

Just don't do a 'Giraffe' and discover that the tin of 'rice pudding' you opened  was actually baked beans (now known to us as 'red rice pudding').

Always read the label, folks. You know it makes sense!

Julian

• samoture
The Waitrose 'Essentials' range is hilarious, as it includes Coconut Milk and Balsamic Vinegar! Totally essential!

I have bought a tin of Waitrose "Essentials" artichoke hearts :)

I think they do it to take the piss as they don't sell non-essential ones as far as I can see....

Cudzoziemiec

I'm quite sure the Basics tinned tomatoes are the same as the next range up.

In some cases, the criteria for being 'basic' seems to be something that's utterly unimportant, like fruit or veg in a bag not being all the same size. The actual food quality is a secondary consideration.

Thanks to Basics, and my willingness to eat the same thing for lunch everyday (I just need food, not culinary stimulation!) my work lunches work out at about 60p a day, and my dinner is usually a couple of quidsworth.  Which means I can afford treats at the weekend when I can enjoy them with MFWHTBAB...
I'm not that keen on coconut milk but coconut water is a wonderfully refreshing drink on a hot day in India. I'd even call it essential. But not from Waitrose.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Two of these arrived by post last week

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Sainsbury's Basics ground coffee is disgusting - certainly rougher than any standard own-brand coffee.  Basics bran flakes are fine, though.

It's funny how supermarkets have yet another layer of marketing: "discount brands".  These are own-brands that appear to be other brands, to cater to people who avoid super-market branded items while still wanting low prices.  Lidyl are famous for it, but I've also noticed Tesco's Daisy.  (Daisy anti-bac washing-up liquid is good vfm, by the way).

So supermarkets have four levels of branding: premium, standard, cheap, discount brands.  Funny old world.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Cudzoziemiec

And that's in addition to the brand name brands!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Cranberry sauce comes in various price/brand categories.
Reading the nutritional information allows you to calculate how much of the product is water.
I object to buying water in jars.
That's why I buy Sainsbury's 'Taste the Difference' cranberry sauce.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I have chopped the disastrous sourdough loaf into slices and when it has dried out a bit Pingu is going to make bread pudding.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.