Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 507877 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Is your bin in the front garden - it may explain the cat issue: -
An unusual feature of valerian is that valerian root and leaves are a cat attractant similar to, and as safe as catnip. Valerian contains the cat attractant actinidine.[/url]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_(herb)#Effect_on_other_organisms
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruth

Nah, the cat issue pre-dates my valium addiction.  I wonder if it's ian's cat.  If so it needs to keep shitting in his kitchen, not on my front garden.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #752 on: 21 February, 2014, 06:05:47 pm »
Raspberry cheesecake à la fboab:

Smells totes amaze. Just need to wait for it to cool down.

Might have slightly overdone the raspberries though - the peril of converting US cups to grams, and using frozen instead of fresh. Feels a but soft in the middle but I'm hoping it'll firm up a bit when chilled.

Also, might whip the cream cheese mixture next time to give it a bit more volume.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Does that frame have cheese clearances?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It's got no chain, cranks or pedals - more of a pizza hobby horse than a bike!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I've just been trying to toast some of that German rye bread, (before smothering it in good butter and marmite)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

Since when were crisps part of a ploughman's lunch?

Cudzoziemiec

I'm wondering how pancakes will turn out with self-raising flour. We don't have any normal white flour cos we never use it, only s/r for cakes and stuff and wholemeal for bread, but the other Cudzos have said that they want some pancakes wholemeal but some - most - must be with white flour. Doesn't seem worth buying any just for this. Or maybe it'll get used anyway.

citoyen

Seen on twitter:
Man in queue in front of me at Sainsbo's was buying Pancake Mix. "Just add milk and eggs". Fools and their money...

Three times the price of a bag of flour, apparently. Added ingredient for it to legally qualify as a "mix": salt.

citoyen

I'm wondering how pancakes will turn out with self-raising flour.

Fluffy. Probably more like American-style pancakes.

Cudzoziemiec

Seen on twitter:
Man in queue in front of me at Sainsbo's was buying Pancake Mix. "Just add milk and eggs". Fools and their money...

Three times the price of a bag of flour, apparently. Added ingredient for it to legally qualify as a "mix": salt.
I'd like to believe that, but a search only found a mix containing milk powder and dried egg. I can't imagine it's anything other than fairly foul but it at the same price as a bag of flour it's not quite the preposterous rip off mentioned on twitter.
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1393929345362

Oh, just found this:
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/grocery-categories/pancake_and_batter_mix_in_sainsburys.html
Betty Crocker shake to make pancake mix. Just add water. I'm sure it's delicious.

Cudzoziemiec

I'm wondering how pancakes will turn out with self-raising flour.

Fluffy. Probably more like American-style pancakes.
Fluffy it will be then. I just need to remember to buy some milk. And more eggs. Or Betty Crocker's absolutely delicious made with love and care shake to make stuff.  ::-)

Oh, just found this:
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/grocery-categories/pancake_and_batter_mix_in_sainsburys.html
Betty Crocker shake to make pancake mix. Just add water. I'm sure it's delicious.

yebbut with that you don't need to carry milk or eggs - which is pretty good if cycle camping or backpacking.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

I'd like to believe that, but a search only found a mix containing milk powder and dried egg. I can't imagine it's anything other than fairly foul but it at the same price as a bag of flour it's not quite the preposterous rip off mentioned on twitter.

I just found this on the sainsbury's website:
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1393930911649

Ingredients: Maize Flour, Rice Flour, Cornflour, Potato Starch, Raising Agents: Sodium Bicarbonate, Disodium Diphosphate, Stabiliser: Xanthan Gum...

Preparation
You will need:
Mrs Crimble's Pancake Mix
400ml / 3/4 pint Milk
2 Eggs

£1.99 for a 200g packet.

Plain white flour is £1.10 for a 1.5kg bag. So the mix is actually more like 15 times the price.

But I'm sure all those ingredients make the mix a far superior product to plain white flour.  ::-)

Cudzoziemiec

That link just gives me a page asking me to log in. Perhaps this is some special product only registered Sainsbury's shoppers can buy?  :D Obviously I'm unworthy of such culinary delights. Such a shame!

citoyen

But I'm sure all those ingredients make the mix a far superior product to plain white flour.  ::-)

Actually, I've just noticed that it has a "gluten free" label on the packet, so that would explain the bizarre ingredients list.

Fair point about believing stuff you read on Twitter though.

Cudzoziemiec

Oh, just found this:

yebbut with that you don't need to carry milk or eggs - which is pretty good if cycle camping or backpacking.
Good point. Unlike the one Citoyen found, which is good for... frittering away time on the internet?

We'll be having scotch pancakes (that's drop scones really) which are made with SR flour.

And those of us who are supposed to be eschewing carbs will just not tell anyone. Just like they haven't mentioned the other sugar they've been eating daily since Ithey was told to stop running.

Chris S

Low carb pancakes for me (made with a little Soya flour, ground almonds and flax seed). Probably sweet; so with nuked blueberries and a metric fucktonne of cream  :thumbsup:.

How was the cheesecake, Citoyen?

citoyen

How was the cheesecake, Citoyen?

Sorry, forgot to say... fucking awesome! I'll definitely be making that one again.   :thumbsup:

The hazelnut [almond] chocolate torte was great too - lasted all of five minutes.

Apparently these chickpeas are not OK. Says No2Son. No1Daughter made him check, as last week she threw out all the food colouring with some bollox about not eating anything from 200#. 199# is worse, and hysterically funny, apparently.
Quote from: No2Son, falling about laughing.
THEY'RE OLDER THAN LIVVY

(I'd've eaten them. They're canned, FFS)

clarion

• Tyke
...(I'd've eaten them. They're canned, FFS)

But.....DETH!! :o
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

A few years ago (might have been twenty... but even so) some canned food from WWI was opened on air, eaten and pronounced good. Well into the 80s my mum's cupboards contained packets labelled in shillings. No problem.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
I had a can of baked beans, just out of date. The sauce was green!
216km from Marsh Gibbon