Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 507811 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Dear Sainsbury's,
If you are selling a large mango for £1, then including this in a multi-buy 'Buy an two for £2.50' 'Special Offer' speaks of FAIL.
I am not stupid.
I can count.
I don't want any of the other items in this 'offer'.

By the way, it might be news to you that
I CAN READ!
I can cope with a list of products without needing to see pictures, which greatly reduce the number of items I can see on my laptop screen before I need to scroll down.
Wading through these silly pictures is SLOW and BORING.

Please enable me to disable images.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
What's the probability that the supermarket is unable to enable the ability to disable the display of images?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Dear Sainsbury's,
If you are selling a large mango for £1, then including this in a multi-buy 'Buy an two for £2.50' 'Special Offer' speaks of FAIL.
I am not stupid.
I can count.
I don't want any of the other items in this 'offer'.

By the way, it might be news to you that
I CAN READ!
I can cope with a list of products without needing to see pictures, which greatly reduce the number of items I can see on my laptop screen before I need to scroll down.
Wading through these silly pictures is SLOW and BORING.

Please enable me to disable images.

Aubergine £1 each in Sainsbury and other local supermarkets, cherry tomatoes (on vine) £2-50 etc,  in the Fri/Sat market in Kidlington High St Aubergine 2 for £1 cherry toms £1 other veg/fruit show similar reductions, I get up earlier after an 11 hour shift the night before to recumbent trike there, soooo worth it, and getting to know the people on the stall evokes comments ranging from "give us a wheely" to "ere, these banana aubergines are nearly finished give us a quid for them (about £4 worth).
        Worth the effort eh ?
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Just bought two carrier bags of, ripe*/damaged, bananananas for £2.  ;D
Got a giant nana and grape smoothie at my side and one carrier bag full left.  :thumbsup:

* Properly ripe, leopard spot ripe, not yellow and starchy ripe with green ends!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
What's the probability that the supermarket is unable to enable the ability to disable the display of images?

I am not able to comment!
Disabling images was possible on previous websites. They might employ poor web designers.
I am not a computer buff but know that images consume much data and screen space. This makes them undesirable for my use.

Disabling images was possible on previous websites.
When I see/use Sainsbury's site I get a tick box to allow images or not on the lists.
I'd put a screenshot up but I think that'd be rubbing it in!  :P

Cudzoziemiec

From Sainsbury's to Tesco: Amazing new plastic egg boxes!
This is old hat, surely? Egg boxes were made of plastic way back in the 80s and probably 70s. This smells of supermarket press release reprinted with no recycling.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
When I see/use Sainsbury's site I get a tick box to allow images or not on the lists.

I don't, and I've just had another look.
I can see either a grid or a list, both with images.

and I've just had another look.
So have I and the option disappears when you login to your account. Bad Sainsbury's site design.  >:(
You could block all images with adblock plus but that might be too much if you use other parts of the site. (assumes all the images are served from within Sainsbury's domain)

Just bought two carrier bags of, ripe*/damaged, bananananas for £2.  ;D
Got a giant nana and grape smoothie at my side and one carrier bag full left.  :thumbsup:

* Properly ripe, leopard spot ripe, not yellow and starchy ripe with green ends!
I have finished my giant smoothie.  ;D

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
From Sainsbury's to Tesco: Amazing new plastic egg boxes!
This is old hat, surely? Egg boxes were made of plastic way back in the 80s and probably 70s. This smells of supermarket press release reprinted with no recycling.

Sainsbury had plastic egg boxes in the 1970s. If you had enough of them you could attach one to another (turned through 180 degrees) and make tank tracks.

Photos of fruit would make sense if they were of the actual piece of fruit you were buying so you could check for size, damage etc.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

We stopped online shopping when it became apparent the pickers (Tesco esp) didn't give a rats ass whether the order was even remotely similar to what the customer ordered, also (and it may well have changed) you enver got a bite at the special offers
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We stopped online shopping when it became apparent the pickers (Tesco esp) didn't give a rats ass whether the order was even remotely similar to what the customer ordered, also (and it may well have changed) you enver got a bite at the special offers

I made a habit of phoning Sainsbury's whenever things were wrong; they learned and I seldom phone them now.
I get what I want, so long as it's in stock and don't usually accept substitutes.
I do well on special offers; sitting at a computer, I can calmly assess if 'bargains' are real. I buy few perishables on special unless they can be frozen.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Mrs T was working from home yesterday, whilst I was in the badlands of Prudhoe.

Repeat today.

When I got up this morning there was note stuck on my phone to say that there is a pack up in the fridge for me!

Looking forward to lunch, now...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
One for paleo fans - made this for my wife this morning so she could have some toast with her poached eggs. It's actually rather good...

http://ancestralchef.com/microwave-paleo-bread/

(Not sure they actually had microwave ovens in Paleolithic times though. ;) )
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

Not sure they were grinding nuts either or using salt unless they found some occurring on the surface. But did they have baking powder? Must have done!

But who cares? If it's rather good, it's rather good.

clarion

• Tyke

In case that's not clear, she's carrying a grand piano cake through central London.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

And like a sensible pianist, she's not wearing her piano shoes outdoors!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I would post this in 'First World Problems' but it is Food and Drink...

Sainsbury's Basics range, supplied by my local branch no longer includes:
Cornflakes- their posh own brand flakes are nearly five times the price and are far thinner, which I don't like
Jaffa Cakes  I will just have to do without.
Italian Grated Hard Cheese in a handy plastic drum. This is a real nuisance! I only want to put a little on my bolognese and Grana Padano in a plastic sachet is inconvenient and spendy.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
33 pages and I've only just found this thread.

I apologise if eggs have been done, but I feel the need to say how brilliant they are. I'm going through a real egg phase. I have finally learned how to boil an egg and get it right 9 times out of 10*. Likewise poached eggs** and scrambled eggs***.

I know how good they are in stuff, but it's amazing how well they can hold centre stage too.

Okay: egg praise over (for now).

(*cold egg in cold water. Heat until water bubbles lightly and turn heat right down or even off. Then leave for 3.5 (smaller) 4 mins (larger) before removing and topping, serving with lovely buttery bread)
(**break into a pan of boiling water, bring back to boil then immediately turn heat right down or even off. Then leave for 3.5 (smaller) 4 mins (larger) before removing serving with lovely buttery bread and black pudding)
(***break 2 or 3 eggs into a bowl. Hand whisk (with optional cream/full fat milk to about 25% of volume) and add a little salt. low/medium heat a frying pan with a k/nob of butter and/or oil. Pour the egg mixture into the middle of the butter/oil and  immediately turn heat right down. Gently and regularly move the eggs so they do not set, and the runny bits are always being moved into the heat. The slower you cook them, the better they are. Serve with lovely, buttery etc)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I have hidden 35 sweets for our Easter Egg hunt. David has found four so far...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I apologise if eggs have been done, but I feel the need to say how brilliant they are. I'm going through a real egg phase. I have finally learned how to boil an egg and get it right 9 times out of 10*. Likewise poached eggs** and scrambled eggs***.

Eggs are flipping marvellous. They're the perfect fast food too - an omelette is just as quick to cook as a microwave ready meal.
And lately, I've discovered the joy of taking hard-boiled eggs with me to snack on during audaxes.

Just a couple of things I'd add to your methods: poached eggs benefit from being the freshest possible, since they hold their shape better (same goes for fried eggs), but boiled eggs benefit from being a bit older, since they come away from the shell more easily.

For me, scrambled eggs are best made with lots and lots of butter (not oil), and without the cream/milk. But that's a personal preference thing. A bit of truffle butter stirred in at the end is the absolute height of decadence.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jogler

• mojo operandi
Marj does the world's best omelletes.
 :smug:

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Eggs! Get through about a tray a week. All by myself  ;D
Picked up 30 on Sat eve and have used half of them already!
They are small though and 7 are sat in the fridge boiled and ready to eat.
Great as a snack when feeling peckish.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
As much as I like eggs, I don't like omelettes. They're too eggy.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.