Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514607 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Placed a Sainsbury's order today:

Condiments
There are no products on this shelf at the moment. If you're looking for a particular item, you may be able to find it using the search box above

Bin bags
There are no products on this shelf at the moment. If you're looking for a particular item, you may be able to find it using the search box above

Store refurbishment so no frozen food either.

NO ICE CREAM IN THIS WEATHER!!!

My local area have been cleaned out of all 2l tubs of ice creams so all that is left is the small b&J and hagen whatever.

I normally eat museli with orange juice (or squash - really, it's nice).  I bought a different brand last week.  It appears to have a high milk powder element.  It's, erm, interesting with orange  :-\

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I normally eat museli with orange juice (or squash - really, it's nice).  I bought a different brand last week.  It appears to have a high milk powder element.  It's, erm, interesting with orange  :-\

:sick:

Alpen, was it? Vile stuff.

I have my muesli with apple juice. Only juice, though, and the good stuff at that - ie Coppella. Never tried it with squash. Interesting.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I really hate muesli but putting milk powder in it is like evil toxic death. It's SUPPOSED TO BE VEGAN that's why it's so bloody nasty!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I'm very choosy about my muesli brands. I like Jordans but Alpen is nasty.

Most shop-bought cereals other than plain unadulterated porridge oats are pretty nasty, tbh.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Surprisingly, I've found the Asda own-brand stuff to be my preference, probably because it's got a fair bit of nuts & fruit, and quite big flakes of stuff, rather than sawdust consistency.  Added milk powder isn't so bad when eating museli with water (a very small amount, I don't use anywhere near the amount of liquid most people use for cereal), and I suppose if you use milk it just tastes milkier, but if you've used something fruit based, it does not taste right.

Most shop-bought cereals other than plain unadulterated porridge oats are pretty nasty, tbh.

I used to dislike all cereal (and breakfast in general), but then I discovered how much better it all is once microwaved.  I don't like the crunchiness, but I really hate food swimming in liquid, so microwaving makes it mushy but damp rather than wet. Cereals better this way: oatibix, weetabix, shreddies, all bran.  People tend to think I'm a bit strange for doing this though (especially as I make all of those with water).

Aldi Exotic muesli is good. Porridge oats, some nuts, loads of dried fruit like cranberries.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Le Mont de Spag Bol

IMG_3614 by The Pingus, on Flickr

clarion

• Tyke
Literal cup cake, courtesy of talented baker Grace Wong:

P7265829 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr
Getting there...

Made potato & celery soup with home-grown celery (my first ever), potatoes, onion, & garlic. The celery is a bit bitter & stringy raw, but cooks better than supermarket celery. I went OTT cooking it, to try to get rid of the bitterness & to soften it. I could have cooked it less.

Mrs B loved it. Praised the flavour. Claims it's the best-tasting celery she's eaten. I think that may only apply to 'cooked'.

Also did a little apple (allotment) & blackcurrant (garden) compote to go with ice cream for afters.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
David's bringing in buckets of feral blackberries, which I have been setting in any Hartley's jelly that's been sitting in the cupboard1.
Blackberries in lime jelly is/are rather nice!

1) Purchased for pre colonoscopy diet. Red jellies were forbidden.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Feral blackberries.  Not just thorns, but also Teeth :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Feral blackberries with ice cream. Preceded by home-grown potato salad: Charlotte potatoes, onion, radish, onion, cucumber . . . And smoked salmon bought in a shop, like the ice cream & mayonnaise but unlike the rest.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
If you make milkshake with a mixture of kefir (similar to yougurt but slightly sourer and more liquid) and curds and whey (and the rest being strawberries or whatever), it's really, really filling.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

levitator

I have in my possession a crateful of pears (for reasons too complicated to explain),williams pears, some of them a bit underripe. When theyr'e ripe they are delicious, but we're rapidly going pear-shaped from surfeit.
Suggestions please?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Spiced pickled pears from the Delia Christmas book. Awesome with stilton.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Juice and freeze - take out of freezer in winter, home-made super-fresh juice is delicious.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

levitator

I've made about 2Kg of chutney and my wife has just produced a flan.  Still dripping pear juice though, trying to keep it off keyboard.  Our son will be visiting us tonite, he'll help to polish them off...

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
Fruit leather? There is even a recipe for it in this month's cycling plus!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
I'm very choosy about my muesli brands. I like Jordans but Alpen is nasty.

I make my own muesli - each day.  Tesco own brand special flakes (so I can have one Gluten free meal a day), pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, linseed, sesame seed, raisins.   Takes about a minute.  Then add fresh fruit (whatever I've got) and yoghurt.  Secret of my cycling and running success.  Scores between 2.5 and 4 of my 5 a day in a single hit depending on how much I make and eat.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Roast leg of pork bone in + sweet potato puree + stir fried oak choi with a dash of soy sauce = marriage made in heaven  :)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

The Hair Bikers Curry book is brilliant but does anybody else find that potatoes take a lot longer to cook when done in a dish (Keema Lamb Curry) than when done on their own, had the same in a Rick Stein recipe buggers the timings up
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I have at last acquired some Proper Milk to go in my Proper Tea :thumbsup:  No longer will me evening brew taste foul due to the presence of "non-dairy creamer" :sick:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Non-dairy creamer is indeed  :sick: but has the advantage that Orthodox Jews can have 'white' coffee after a meat meal.