Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 508008 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Careful, non dairy creamer is flammable  ;D

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Odd question, can you use a scone mix and bake it in a fairy paper case so that it will rise like fairy cake?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
No.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
The mixture does rise tho.  The birthday girl in question would like vegan savoury scones in cupcakes.  So cutting the scones in to thicker circles and then in to cases for baking.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Scones rise, yes, but scones and cupcakes are not the same, and putting scones into cupcake cases won't give you cupcakes, it'll give you weird scones. The process of making them is different. Cupcakes are a sponge batter - butter and sugar creamed together, flour and eggs and raising agent added. Scones are a pastry dough - butter and flour rubbed together, milk added. If you do scones in cases, there's a good chance they'll be soggy on the bottom.

Besides, cupcakes are American pretentious shite. Fairy cakes are where it's at.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
At the moment all I can buy from the supermarkets is cupcake cases.

Wierd is fine as that is what Im doing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Maybe foil pie dishes would conduct heat better but still appear almost cupcake-like.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Why not make scones and wrap them in tissue paper?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith

Besides, cupcakes are American pretentious shite. Fairy cakes are where it's at.

You are right, they are fairy cakes and I apologise for using the wrong term.   

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Why not make scones and wrap them in tissue paper?

Think you have come up with the perfect idea.

Tissue paper means I can make paper flower petals out of yellow and white paper.  :-*

Sunday's barbie

(click to show/hide)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
The Hair Bikers Curry book is brilliant but does anybody else find that potatoes take a lot longer to cook when done in a dish (Keema Lamb Curry) than when done on their own, had the same in a Rick Stein recipe buggers the timings up

Always seems to be the case, I have no clue why!

levitator

spoiler=NSFV where V means Veggie
Funny thing, that,I don't recall ever seeing a veggie warning carnivores that they might get upset looking at a picture of -- say, a dish of tofu or whatever.  Perhaps it might be more to the point to say, "Not safe for Jews or Muslims".

ian

The Hair Bikers Curry book is brilliant but does anybody else find that potatoes take a lot longer to cook when done in a dish (Keema Lamb Curry) than when done on their own, had the same in a Rick Stein recipe buggers the timings up

The boiling point of a sauce is usually a lot less than the boiling point of salted water.

mcshroom

• Mushroom

The boiling point of a sauce is usually a lot less than the boiling point of salted water.

See 'boiling points of binary mixtures' (I think). I'd explain more but when I did this at Uni the most vivid memory was embedding a glass stopper in the wall of the lab while doing the practical due to bumping.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Funny thing, that,I don't recall ever seeing a veggie warning carnivores that they might get upset looking at a picture of -- say, a dish of tofu or whatever.  Perhaps it might be more to the point to say, "Not safe for Jews or Muslims".

A Jew or Muslim might rightfully be upset if a pig picture or whatever was directed at them but  will have sous problems if they get upset at the sight of a of a pig. However theere are a swathe of people who might be upset by the picture of a whole baby animal cooking

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I know I'm at my Mum's house cos the potato waffles from the freezer are stale *blech*. Deities know how long they've been in there. 

Fridge only has 3 things which I wouldn't eat and 1 which I binned on sight... That's about 6x better than usual.

levitator

A Jew or Muslim might rightfully be upset if a pig picture or whatever was directed at them but  will have sous problems if they get upset at the sight of a of a pig. However theere are a swathe of people who might be upset by the picture of a whole baby animal cooking
Hey!  I was merely having a little 'dig' at you - in a friendly sort of way - for hiding a picture of a roast suckling pig behind 'spoiler' tags!

I remember being warned once (elsewhere) that posting a picture (or worse: a video) of a spider on an online forum was not on, not without a health warning, because some arachnophobes get it so bad that they throw a wobbly even at a picture.

There was a case recently, wasn't there, of a traditional butcher somewhere, who was taken to task by the authorities for hanging up entire pig carcasses, head on, in his shop window.  It was said that he might 'offend' vegetarians.  Needless to say, the veggies rose up against this.  "It's not us who're offended matey, you needn't have bothered.  It's meat-eaters who might be upset at suddenly realising that that juicy pork chop on their plate was once a cute little ickle piggy-wig!"

You get the point - in this long-winded way???

Never mind.  Enjoy your roast pork/piglet and let's have no more argument!

::-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Had some parsnip cake yesterday. I saw it at a place we stopped for lunch on yesterday's ride (Old Station Cafe in Tintern) and as I like parsnips and found the idea intriguing and new to me, I tried some. It was parsnip and coconut and, disappointingly for me, tasted overwhelmingly of dessicated coconut and sweet, buttery icing. There was a fibrous texture which could have been down to parsnip but was just as likely due to the coconut. I don't think I'll try it again.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ruth

Me and Madhur Jaffrey got busy in the kitchen last night, and made a cashew nut pilaff, some chicken cooked in yoghurt, and a lamb vindaloo (without too much heat, due to the intended recipients).  Wine was drinked.  Poppadoms were popped.  There was sorbet.

And there seems to be some carrot cake left over, oh dear oh dear, whatever shall I do?

Actually were I to see a dish of Tofu I might get very upset especially were I expecting steak with all the trimmings  :o

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

As a vegetarian of over 20 years standing, I find tofu much more upsetting than meat.  ;D

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1023 on: 01 September, 2014, 08:12:33 pm »
I cooked and ate a Beef Heart at the w/e. Dead easy in the slow cooker and tasted surprisingly nice. There big too, will be enough for 4 more servings.

levitator

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1024 on: 01 September, 2014, 08:38:09 pm »
As a vegetarian of over 20 years standing, I find tofu much more upsetting than meat.  ;D
Had tofu (along with lots of other veggie goodies) in a sweet-and-sour sauce, for dinner tonite. Luverly!  Each to their own I suppose.