Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 508167 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
I'm planning to make my own Bendicks Bittermint style chocolate mint fondants to save money.  I think it's going to be hard to match the density and dryness of Bendicks' centres.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I'm planning to make my own Bendicks Bittermint style chocolate mint fondants to save money.  I think it's going to be hard to match the density and dryness of Bendicks' centres.

I am not a confectioner but suspect if you used glycerine to bind the sugar and STRONG peppermint essence, you might be on to a winner. Maybe avoid water. maybe add a little desiccated coconut or starch to maintain dryness.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Thanks Helly.  I'll try that and any other suggestions with a small amount, before making the mega load.  Yum.  I've already ordered some Sainsbury's "Taste the Difference" mint oil, and 90% coco chocolate.  Should be 95%, really.

It's World Porridge Day!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury's don't seem to sell plain, white icing sugar online.
I don't want 'golden', I don't want molasses in my sugar.
I want to make microwave meringues with SCIENCE.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Sainsbury's don't seem to sell plain, white icing sugar online.
I don't want 'golden', I don't want molasses in my sugar.
I want to make microwave meringues with SCIENCE.

My peppermint fondants have been delayed for the same reason.  They have sold it in the past. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I might resort to Tesgrot or Asda...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Just seen a Soreen ad on telly. The Soreen was dancing.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

simonp

Made Kung Po Chicken for dinner.

The recipe said to use Hoisin sauce as well as the chilli bean sauce. Didn’t have any so improvised something similar based on a recipe for hoisin sauce I found on the internet.

Now I have that feeling I get after eating Chinese food that has too much MSG in it.  :face palm:

I made toad in the hole the other night, with gluten free batter.

I've never made yorkshire pudding or toad in the hole before so it was a bit of an experiment.

:thumbsup:

Kids liked it muchly. Departed from standard recipes by adding some bicarb to the flour.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
Does this mean it isn't vegetarian? :o  The poor Soreens are slaughtered and squished together into a sticky, nommy mess? :'(
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Does this mean it isn't vegetarian? :o  The poor Soreens are slaughtered and squished together into a sticky, nommy mess? :'(

Still less cruel than Quorn hunting.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

Still less cruel than Quorn hunting.

And as for the car seats and furniture so beloved of USAnians in the 1960s, upholstered in Naugahyde...

Sickening :sick:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Bought a pig-shaped cutter for making parkin pigs.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Bought a pig-shaped cutter for making parkin pigs.

Sugar pigs...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
So is anyone else eating reheated pasta to lower the carb content?

simonp

Not me. If I want to eat fewer carbs I eat less of them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Me neither. If I eat reheated pasta, it's because I cooked too much yesterday.  ::-)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Me neither. If I eat reheated pasta, it's because I cooked too much yesterday.  ::-)

+1

I sincerely doubt that reheated pasta has a significantly lower calorie count. Even if its energy is more slowly released the bottom line total will be much the same if the nutrients are absorbed. If much less is absorbed, you'd know it was emerging...

+1

I sincerely doubt that reheated pasta has a significantly lower calorie count. Even if its energy is more slowly released the bottom line total will be much the same if the nutrients are absorbed. If much less is absorbed, you'd know it was emerging...

The article said that the refined carbs sugar rush is cut by 50% if the pasta is cooked then cooled, it also said pasta (and it says it works with other refined carbs) is reheated it results in a further 50% reduction making it better for slower release so better for diabetics or people who want a better energy release
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

simonp

This article pours some cold water on the idea that reheating pasta is a magic bullet:

http://www.today.com/health/reheated-pasta-really-healthier-what-you-need-know-1D80224941

Last night, I made paella. The recipe calls for 500g of rice. I reduced that to 400g. It was still far more than we could possibly eat (I tend to eat large portions, but Feline doesn’t), so we’re having reheated paella for dinner tonight, I expect.

Given the choice, I’d rather have my paella freshly cooked than reheated.

Paella recipe is here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/seafood-recipes/paella/

Note I omitted the mussels and squid and increased the amount of prawns instead. One day I should make it with mussels. I’ve also made it with scallops once, which was nice.

Chris S

Warning - Anecdata!!

In a single iteration, N=1 experiment, I found it doesn't work with potato:

Day 1 (Fresh boiled potato, mashed - eaten with cheese and marmite): Blood sugar - (Before) 5.4 (1hr) 7.6 (2hr) 7.7 (3hr) 4.9.
Day 2 (Reheated boiled potato, mashed - eaten with cheese and marmite) : Blood sugar - (Before) 5.9 (1hr) 12.0 - WTF?? (2hr) 8.1 (3hr) 5.4

Ergo - reheating yesterdays potato is, if anything, worse.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Reheating = more time to break down the starch.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Chana Dal! Is it yellow split peas?  ???

No