Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514582 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
We are having a MacMillan coffee morning and we have two big tables laden with CAEK. If any audaxers are passing the East Neighbourhood office, there's enough to fuel you for a week.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Do you have those small iced cakes with the word "MacMillan" printed on the icing?

Unless they have changed their recipe, they are amongst the worst cakes I have ever tasted.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Morrison's Flame Raisins and Jumbo Cashews - the combination of tastes seems strange but nice to me.  I can't stop eating them.  Amazingly good raisins, by the way.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Chana Dal! Is it yellow split peas?  ???
It's chick peas.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Wetherspoons appear to have stopped serving mango chutney with their curries.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
All the food on Great British Banquet is served on poncey place settings. It would put me right off my food. Eating rabbit pie off a rabbit hutch? Bonkers.
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
One of the guests on Saturday Kitchen has Bell's Palsy and they've served Sloppy Joes. So mean.
Milk please, no sugar.

It's chick peas.

'Fraid not, while chana is chickpea, chana dal is a type of lentil. That look like yellow split peas.

A birthday CAEK for the audiophile in your life (100% edible):

Working my way up to inferior.

It's chick peas.
'Fraid not, while chana is chickpea, chana dal is a type of lentil. That look like yellow split peas.
A very nice lentil that I won't buy again as it takes way too long to cook! I seriously undercooked it a couple of days ago, it had a peanut like texture, and today I gave it a good 3/4 hour gentle boil. It really needs 1 1/2 hours!
Once this 2kg bag is gone  :o I'll be sticking with red lentils that totally disintegrate in 5 mins.  :thumbsup:

Sounds like a slowcooker is called for.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Or a pressure cooker, I suppose.
How long do people cook their pulses?
My last stew had beans (black eye, rose coco and red kidney) that I had soaked overnight, fast boiled for 15 minutes and then simmered with the remainder of the stew for three hours; they were STILL quite firm.

Cudzoziemiec

Sesame snaps have been going downhill for years. They used to have four layers, now only three and whereas each leaf used to easily split from the others, now they tend to be stuck together in one lump. Biting through all three layers at once is quite tough! As well as being more than I really want.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Can't remember when I last had Sesame Snaps! Takes me back...

Or a pressure cooker, I suppose.
How long do people cook their pulses?
My last stew had beans (black eye, rose coco and red kidney) that I had soaked overnight, fast boiled for 15 minutes and then simmered with the remainder of the stew for three hours; they were STILL quite firm.

In our pressure cooker Chickpeas are 20 minutes (after coming up to pressure) everything else 15minutes, I have never cooked Asian style pulses in a pressure cooker simply as I find a curry that incorporates a dal is usually a slow long cooking dish anyway
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Looks like Britain's dairy industry has been sold to the Germans.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29929561

hellymedic

• Just do it!
A local Indian takeaway has evolved from sending out semi-literate paper menus to accepting online orders.
I have a meal in the offing...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Who would get any pleasure from a double doughnut burger anyway?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30000934   :sick:

These American style gluttony challenges seem to be gathering pace.

The food doesn't even seem nice.
I can understand Christmas overindulgence, when there are lots of scrumptious comestibles on offer, but personally do not enjoy feeling stuffed. This looks truly horrid anyway.

It's only 2000 calories as well - if I want that, a packet of custard creams is cheaper, more portable, and probably nicer.

Cudzoziemiec

Mel Wakeman, senior lecturer in Applied Physiology at Birmingham City University, said: "To me, this is simply ludicrous and irresponsible. I am no killjoy but why is this sort of food available?"
More to the point, why do people want to eat it - in sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile selling?

The answer to that is int he answer to this

But Mel Wakeman argues: "Why can't they include on the menu what the customer would need to do to burn all those calories off? In the case of this Double Donut Burger, around three hours of continuous running should just about do it. I wonder how many people would still opt for the item knowing this."

....which is, exactly the same number that would have considered it before knowing.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
I quite fancy trying one.

Not every day, mind, but it's not the most unhealthy thing I'd have eaten.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It's only 2000 calories as well - if I want that, a packet of custard creams is cheaper, more portable, and probably nicer.

I think you mean two packets of custard creams.
You'd need around 400 grams of biscuit for 2,000 Calories and are likely to stop LONG before you've consumed the lot.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin

I think you mean two packets of custard creams.
You'd need around 400 grams of biscuit for 2,000 Calories and are likely to stop LONG before you've consumed the lot.

Do you reckon? I mean about the stopping bit... It'd have to Borbon Creams for me, though, please :)

Anyways, back onto the rediculous burger thing, I think it's not that it's new (pubs, bars and cafes all over the country have been offering "Gut Busters" for decades), it's just the marketing, on the back of Man Vs Food.  TBH this one (the Hungry Horse one) has no appeal, as there is no callenge involved.  You don't get it free if you finish it in X mintues, you don't get a T-shirt etc etc, so why bother.  Plus it will probably be like all the other HH food, mass produced in some factory in Eastern Europe, to low standards reflected in the cost and be prepared by a spotty oik whose mum thinks he's going to be the next Gordon Ramsey when, really, the only thing he has remotely close to what GR can do is swear like a trooper with Tourettes.

Give me a real challenge, like the Cattlemen's Association's Steak challenge - 96oz in an hour...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Maybe I'm odd; I get bored after I've eaten a fair portion of any food and CnBA to eat any more of it.