Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514547 times)

It's only 2000 calories as well - if I want that, a packet of custard creams is cheaper, more portable, and probably nicer.

I think you mean two packets of custard creams.
You'd need around 400 grams of biscuit for 2,000 Calories

I forgot that small packets exist. At 35p for a normal sized one, I have no reason to remember ...

and are likely to stop LONG before you've consumed the lot.

You might be. Experience tells me that I'm not.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Looks like I have won a minor Twitter competition from Graze and will receive a few free graze boxes. :) :) :)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
When I got in from work today I added some cardamom pods to the remaining milk in the carton in the fridge. About twenty minutes ago I tipped the milk and pods into a pan, added a bit of cinnamon stick and some smushed up naga chilli (making the mistake of smushing with my fingers and then rubbing my nose), and put the pan on the very lowest simmer setting on the hob. I've just strained the milk into a mug with Green & Black hot chocolate powder in it. It is totally fucking awesome.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
That sounds interesting, Kirst.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cardamom in coffee is an old trick of restaurateurs.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Making yorkshire puddings is better with metal pans than with silicone pans.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Interesting. I suppose you want the quick sealing effect at the start to stop them sticking. I'd guess metal pans have a higher heat transfer coefficient than silicone ones.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Quite. You need to 'fry' the batter and metal transfers heat more efficiently.
Even paper cake cases have a noticeable effect on the way things bake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Makes sense - but then why do I find that cakes back quicker in a silicone tin than a metal one (I think the metal is non-stick, which could of course be a factor, but ICBA check now).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Maybe because the silicone has a higher heat capacity.

A metal tin won't hold much heat to transfer, unlike the silicone.
The metal will transfer a small amount of heat quickly whereas the silicone, whilst slower to transfer the heat, has more to give.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I wonder if this was where Mrs Larrington (decd.) lost the knack of making Proper Yorkshire Puddings?  She always blamed the new oven for not getting hot enough.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!

I just tasted neat Harissa paste to ascertain how much No2Daughter needed to use in a recipe.

This was A Mistake.

Cudzoziemiec

Coke goes dairy.
Fairlife, which will launch in the US next month, will cost twice as much as regular milk and will have 50% more protein and 30% less sugar.

Sandy Douglas, Coke’s global chief customer officer, said Fairlife was “a milk that’s premiumised and tastes better and we’ll charge twice as much for it as the milk we’re used to buying”.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Coke goes dairy.
Fairlife, which will launch in the US next month, will cost twice as much as regular milk and will have 50% more protein and 30% less sugar.

Sandy Douglas, Coke’s global chief customer officer, said Fairlife was “a milk that’s premiumised and tastes better and we’ll charge twice as much for it as the milk we’re used to buying”.
That is a word clearly made up to to mean - we scam our customers into paying more for the same shit others have sold to them before.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Cudzoziemiec

Yes.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Coke goes dairy.

That is a word clearly made up to to mean - we scam our customers into paying more for the same shit others have sold to them before.

At least they're being up front about it!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

Not really - that was at an investors' conference, not publicity or marketing.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
One of the doctors brought in a box of luxury baklava type sweets to work today.  Nom nom nom nom nom.
Milk please, no sugar.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Coke goes dairy.

At least they're being up front about it!

Shamelessly lifted from the comments:
Have they got a Cash-Cow?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Nairns oat biscuits with dark chocolate chips are weird.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Last year a bag of orangette purchased in Banff disappeared without a trace. I wasn't happy.

We've just got the xmas decs down  :facepalm:

essexian

Worryingly, I have just discovered we have three unopened kilo bags of Brussels in our storage freezer…. I am sure they weren’t there when I did the shopping on Friday.

This is somewhat confusing as we don’t have a traditional Christmas lunch, preferring to have a nice veggie curry. So, this can mean only one thing…. Sprout Vindaloo.   :o

I can see the headline now - "Mysterious explosion in Stafford".  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit