Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512565 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I made this for my wife yesterday:

It's a sugar-free, wheat-free, low-fat pear cake kind of thing. First I lightly browned some of our home-preserved pears in a pan in a knob of butter. Then made the cake mix using three eggs, half a cup of almond flour and a dash of vanilla essence. I beat the almond flour, yolks and vanilla together, then folded in the whites which has been whisked to stiff peaks. Poured the mix over the pears then cooked it at 180C for 25 mins.

Pretty pleased with how it turned out. Could do with being slightly sweetened for my taste but my wife seemed happy with it as it was.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I have just put four mince pies into the oven to defrost and heat through.
We are still eating up the Christmas goodies.

(We will be watching Rick Stein on the telly shortly and we know we'll both end up hungry!)

We had no mince pies as David doesn't like them.
We ate our final pigs in blankets last week.
We've only just started the frozen sprouts. (David had previously stated dislike and I didn't want to spoil his Christmas. He found them fine when served with Friday's chicken.)
We are ¾ of the way through the Victoria chocolate biscuits.
There is still about a kilogram of assorted chocolate goodies awaiting attention...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Wondering if water from a tap in a flat (from a water tank, I think but don't know where the tank is) would cause my sour dough starter to have a strange smell.

simonp

Breakfast: I had 4 poached eggs on toast. Two slices of vogel's low gi bread (they're small - used to use burgen which are bigger). Lashings of lurpak spreadable. Double shot cappuccino made with full fat milk and one sugar cube.

Lunch today at pub in the next village, fine liver and bacon in onion gravy followed by mandarin & mango trifle, all very tasty and less than £8 per head. Bargain.
The DOWN SIDE, we were both handed the pensioner special menu without being asked for proof of age :facepalm:
I'm only 62  :'(
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Lunch today at pub in the next village, fine liver and bacon in onion gravy followed by mandarin & mango trifle, all very tasty and less than £8 per head. Bargain.
The DOWN SIDE, we were both handed the pensioner special menu without being asked for proof of age :facepalm:
I'm only 62  :'(

Maybe they assume those who dine at lunchtime on a weekday are eligible or in need of a pensioner's discount.
Possibly a shrewd way to encourage returning custom.

ian

I don't think anyone under the age of 60 eats liver and bacon. Sorry, you are displaying the culinary freedom pass.

I don't think anyone under the age of 60 eats liver and bacon. 

Probably explains why faggots, beef casserole and steamed jam sponge were also on the menu. I'll be back!!! :P
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Wondering if water from a tap in a flat (from a water tank, I think but don't know where the tank is) would cause my sour dough starter to have a strange smell.

All uninspected water tanks (other than those belonging to Rogerzilla OTP) should be assumed to contain dead pigeon soup until proven otherwise.  It's the only way to be sure.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
I don't think anyone under the age of 60 eats liver and bacon. Sorry, you are displaying the culinary freedom pass.

I do and I'm under 60.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith

All uninspected water tanks (other than those belonging to Rogerzilla OTP) should be assumed to contain dead pigeon soup until proven otherwise.  It's the only way to be sure.

Yeah sort of agree with you, but the odd thing is I can't see a water tank in the obvious place.  But it is interesting that the sour dough has gone funny, will  try with fresh flour and see what happens.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

I do and I'm under 60.

You are over 60 in spirit if not in body. For that matter, so am I - I would be happy to be offered that menu, even though I'm barely two thirds of the way to 60.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

Made a low carb dinner tonight. Leek chicken and roasted garlic soup. Four chicken breasts, 6 leeks, two bulbs of garlic, roasted. We ate the lot. I probably ate about 3/4 of it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

I overdosed on liver and bacon in 2006, at the tender age of 41, and spent the whole of the following day's Watership Down 100 wishing I'd opted for something more digestible, such as a breeze block.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin

I do and I'm under 60.

Ditto, my dinner on Monday night was Liver and bacon with mash and peas. Yummy it was, even though the menu said it was "Welsh pan fried lambs liver".  Whether it fried in a Welsh pan, or the lamb was Welsh, I never did find out :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

Dead pigeon soup proves to be quite harmless if boiled. We were drinking it for a while quite unawares.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

I just learned something new. When browning meat in hot fat for a stew, it is best to avoid splashing said fat into your face copiously. If you do, you may be pleased you were at least wearing glasses. Mine of information this place, eh?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
That was why they invented the eye-level grill.  Avoids unpleasant bending.

I do and I'm under 60.

Ditto, my dinner on Monday night was Liver and bacon with mash and peas. Yummy it was, even though the menu said it was "Welsh pan fried lambs liver".  Whether it fried in a Welsh pan, or the lamb was Welsh, I never did find out :)

Likewise. liver, bacon add onion with a tomato sauce, with mash and veg. Luvverly.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
PG Tips have shrunk their teabags fro 3.2g to 2.9g (80 bags were 250g, now 232g).

I do and I'm under 60.

Likewise. liver, bacon add onion with a tomato sauce, with mash and veg. Luvverly.
* fboab  also holds up hand

simonp

Liver. One of the few things I refused to eat as a child.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Very few people can wreck liver, or indeed any foodstuff, more thoroughly than skool dinner ladies.

ian

Very few people can wreck liver, or indeed any foodstuff, more thoroughly than skool dinner ladies.

You have not met my mother. She can turn liver into something capable of being used as

(a) a boat oar
(b) a potentially lethal blunt instrument
(c) a substitute for kevlar

And then the chewy vascular system. They use that as spaghetti in the Hell branch of Olive Garden (there's one in the food mall if you're ever down there, but I don't recommend it).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Chopped Liver is a Jewish delicacy (cold starter) that I have not had for yonks, but I do like.