Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512362 times)

ME!
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Harvested 1.2kg of rhubarb from the garden.

Rhubarb and ginger jam now ready for putting into jars.  :thumbsup:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Bought 6 parfait jam jars in a hypermarket for 5 euro, these are the ones with the silicone sealing lids http://www.leparfait.com/images/site/items/confiturier4_2.png now what jam do I make as the jars included sealing waxes!

Have bought lots of flour, as there seems to be far more types each for a particular thing. So there will be pastry experiments with t45 flour and bread experiments with flour with and with out ascorbic acid.  Or better known as t55 and t65.

Also do French eggs taste differnt or is that in my head?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I don't eat many eggs and had not noticed French eggs tasting different BUT preferences for egg shell and yolk colour vary within the EU.

BRITISH hens are fed something to give the yolks a lurid hue. You might be tasting this, or its absence.

I am really loving porridge made with old fashioned jumbo oats and just water, boiled in a pan. 
Does not play well with others

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
As is well known,  a proper crisp sandwich consists of white bread, butter, crisps (flavour choice per mood) with lashings of salad cream.

I'm trying to decide if a mini-cheddar sandwich on brown bread with mayonnaise counts as an emergency crisp sandwich substitute, or a gastropub crisp sandwich.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

ian

Deffo gastropub territory that one.

When I'm on death row (for crimes against the internet), I'm putting crisp sandwiches on my final meal menu.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
rabbit - that is the *only* way to make porridge.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
rabbit - that is the *only* way to make porridge.

No salt?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
I don't eat many eggs and had not noticed French eggs tasting different BUT preferences for egg shell and yolk colour vary within the EU.

BRITISH hens are fed something to give the yolks a lurid hue. You might be tasting this, or its absence.

Or it could be that differnet colour eggshells make the eggs taste different.  :o

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Or it could be that differnet colour eggshells make the eggs taste different.  :o

I doubt that would make a difference.

Saw this USA-nian thing the other day http://distractify.com/beth-buczynski/egg-yolk-color-matters/

I believe the colouration in ours comes from corn feeding

A further rhubarb harvested today (800g) some reserved but 650g has been made into rhubarb mousse. Just waiting for the 8 glasses to chill and set before testing if I got the whisky dose right.

citoyen

Discovered a new (to me) coffee shop in Canterbury today. Revelation. Best coffee I've had anywhere for a long time.

Carefully made, served in lovely cups, just the right size, but what really set it apart was how incredibly fresh it tasted. I'd almost forgotten that coffee can sometimes taste as good as it smells.

This is where you all need to go for coffee next time you're in Canterbury:
http://www.microroastery.co.uk/

Are you sure about that?

I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy eggs from a farm, proper roadside hut, hens just roam around the farm. Leave money in a jar.

The eggs have intensely yellow yolks.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
The more organic and free range I get eggs, the more colourful they are. Machine eggs look sun bleached and boring and don't taste of anything.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Are you sure about that?

I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy eggs from a farm, proper roadside hut, hens just roam around the farm. Leave money in a jar.

The eggs have intensely yellow yolks.
Even free roaming hens like that get fed.
But I'd generally say that orange-r yolks correlate with a more varied diet. We didn't do a lot of nutrition on non-ruminants (or maybe I didn't need to know it once I'd left college so have forgotten it) but I don't think there are yolk colour additives in UK poultry feed.
I'm happy to buy cheap eggs from badly treated hens with pasty yolks because I don't actually care about chickens- their welfare needs are very very low on my list of priorities- lower than saving 50p/half dozen. Eggs from my mum's hens with their vibrant orange are much much tastier, but I very much suspect that's not because the hens are 'happy', more because I eat them much much fresher.

For your delight and delectation, competitive fish filleting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McwBRCs10x8

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith

Well your doubts are wrong, it does make a difference, as you say different countries seem to think that different egg shell colours mean differing tasting eggs.

Well your doubts are wrong, it does make a difference, as you say different countries seem to think that different egg shell colours mean differing tasting eggs.

"Seem to think" and "actually mean" are not the same thing.

The hens' diet makes a difference to the eggs' taste; it may make a difference to the eggs' colour. But the colour doesn't in itself affect the taste.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
ISTR a thread on this much time ago. Shell colour is dependent on hen's feather colour, yolk colour is determined by diet. That doesn't mean that shell colour won't have an effect on how you perceive the taste.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Reading my slow cooker book, it seems that with the assistance of a timer plug I could wake up to warm home made cinnamon buns in the morning.  If I load up the coffee machine before I go to bed, tomorrow could begin rather well.

And if I bung a Ragu in, in the morning, there could be a nommy dinner tomorrow night when I finish doing stuff.

It's about time I made proper use of this worktop thief.

So, how were the buns? :)

That sounds like a remarkably personal question.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

Shell colour is dependent on hen's feather colour

This is generally true but with many exceptions. A better indicator of shell colour is the colour of the hen's earlobes, even though that sounds like the kind of thing you'd tell your kids as a wind-up.
http://chickens.wikia.com/wiki/Earlobes

There is no link between shell colour and egg flavour. End of.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Someone I know has just posted pictures of beautifully crafted CAEKS on Facebook.
They are mostly PURPLE

I'm afraid I don't find that appetising; is it just me?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Reading my slow cooker book, it seems that with the assistance of a timer plug I could wake up to warm home made cinnamon buns in the morning.  If I load up the coffee machine before I go to bed, tomorrow could begin rather well.

And if I bung a Ragu in, in the morning, there could be a nommy dinner tomorrow night when I finish doing stuff.

It's about time I made proper use of this worktop thief.

So, how were the buns? :)

That sounds like a remarkably personal question.
Two weeks! This place is definitely slipping :P
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!