Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512310 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
I don't eat many eggs and had not noticed French eggs tasting different BUT preferences for egg shell and yolk colour vary within the EU.

BRITISH hens are fed something to give the yolks a lurid hue. You might be tasting this, or its absence.

Or it could be that differnet colour eggshells make the eggs taste different.  :o

I doubt that would make a difference.

Well your doubts are wrong, it does make a difference, as you say different countries seem to think that different egg shell colours mean differing tasting eggs.

"Seem to think" and "actually mean" are not the same thing.

The hens' diet makes a difference to the eggs' taste; it may make a difference to the eggs' colour. But the colour doesn't in itself affect the taste.

To end the egg debate, 'cos I is right  :o' you are right that what the hens eat makes a difference to the egg's flavour.  The colour of the shell seems to be a cultural thing.  Eastern europeanslike darker shells and uk like lighter shell pigmentation.  That is it.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
ISTR a thread on this much time ago. Shell colour is dependent on hen's feather colour, yolk colour is determined by diet. That doesn't mean that shell colour won't have an effect on how you perceive the taste.
#

Tombola.... perception is a killer.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
I peeled some shallots today by pouring some hot water over then and letting them sit in a bowl for 5 mins.  Easiest I have come across so far.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I use much the same method for peeling garlic.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Ah I the crush with the flat of a knife.

Today I am making french onion soup in the slow cooker with real french onions.

I have messed around with various espresso machines over the last 18 months or so, but today I bit the bullet and splashed out on a Gaggia Classic. Once it arrives, it'll be nice to have a proper basket to fill rather that the pint-sized ones I've been using recently.

There are superior machines available, but my last Gaggia was very, very good and my budget stretches no further.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
Home made pizzas today. Many made with varying toppings. Absolute winner was a white pizza with mozzarella, red onion and Gorgonzola piccante. Flipping amazing!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I have messed around with various espresso machines over the last 18 months or so, but today I bit the bullet and splashed out on a Gaggia Classic. Once it arrives, it'll be nice to have a proper basket to fill rather that the pint-sized ones I've been using recently.

There are superior machines available, but my last Gaggia was very, very good and my budget stretches no further.

I finally got sick of the pressurised basket in the Duality, so splashed on Delonghia Magnifica. Its a BtC machine and I don't know how I have managed without it up to now! BTW, anyone looking for one, seller gtanotts on eBay seems to be the returns/exdemo seller for Delonghi.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

I quite enjoy the ritual of grinding my beans (not a euphemism!) and loading the basket myself. The Ibertal grinder's noise wakes me up and the smell perks me up. Ideally, I'd have a BtC machine for the quick cup when I get in knackered from work. Now I'm back to a proper basket, my coffee/caffeine intake will increase even if the number of cups stays the same.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Ordering some takeaway food online, and this Chinese place will apparently bring my 20 Lambert and Butlers with my dinner. Only in Swindon.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Barnet Cyclists met informally at the Tally Ho, the local 'spoon's, for the monthly pre-meeting meal.
I was one of the first to arrive and asked a friend to order me soup, as I felt a little delicate and would have time for mor food if my appetite improved.
More friends arrived and ordered themselves food.
Ham egg & chips arrived for one chap.
Several curries arrived for others.
Non curry meals arrived.
I asked about my soup.
'It's coming soon.' I was told.
I asked about my soup.
I asked about my soup.
I asked about my soup.

Everyone else had their food. And finished it.
I waited an hour for a poxy bowl of soup, initially presented with a knife and fork; the Awkward Grumpy Old Woman in me demanded a Spoon!

I managed to pour the butter accompanying the bread all over my trousers, as it had melted in contact with the bowl of soup.

I never had time for other food.

GGGGRRRR!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
You wanted a spoon for your soup? That really is being awkward!

(I once had a colleague who insisted that no food existed which could not be made into a sandwich. To prove it, he ate a soup sandwich. It was messy, but he did it.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The (carrot) soup was pretty viscid really; I might have managed without a spoon, by using the bread to blot some of the liquid.
I should have had a spoon under the butter when I opened it.

The soup portion was SMALL[/size].

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Some bad news.
I mentioned elsewhere that there was, surprisingly, still a Wimpy in Carmarthen.  As I had a while before my bus, I wandered over to take a picture.

Oh dear.

Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

I just had a Weber chimney starter for my BBQ delivered. Blimey that was a lot bigger than it looked in the photos online !
And the weekend doesn't look like its going to be BBQ weather :(
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Ordering some takeaway food online, and this Chinese place will apparently bring my 20 Lambert and Butlers with my dinner. Only in Swindon.

When I worked on fast food deliveries, we also delivered from the local offy, so you could get a Chinese, 4 Stella and a packet of tabs.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

My Gaggia Classic has finally arrived - all the way from Italy. It has a chromed brass dripper(?) that I had to put on and then I assembled the thing. Gaggia don't do fancy metalwork! This is as basic as they come, stylewise, but I didn't get it to look pretty. The pump is much more powerful than the DeLonghi it replaces, so the Iberital grinder setting needs some adjustment. I'm getting there slowly, but seeing as each espresso is far more caffeinated than my other machine, I'll not go overboard. One slightly annoying thing is that it came with an EU to UK plug adaptor. It works, but is very bulky. I'll see if the 'Bay can provide a proper one.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Vanilla flavour Aero isn't a patch on the Mint one.
Milk please, no sugar.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Ruthie speaks the truth.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

There's a vanilla Aero?! :o

Ruthie

• Her Majester
There's a vanilla Aero?! :o

I'm afraid so.

You don't need to try it.  I did it for you.
Milk please, no sugar.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Nice write up for the watering hole the committee of the Junior Ganymede Club are known to frequent.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Nice write up for the watering hole the committee of the Junior Ganymede Club are known to frequent.

???

Translation into pleb please?
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
"The aliens like the pub"?

"in one version of the myth, he is abducted by Zeus, in the form of an eagle, to serve as cup-bearer in Olympus. The myth was a model for the Greek social custom of paiderastía, the socially acceptable erotic relationship between a man and a youth."   :o :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganymede_%28mythology%29
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark