Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575873 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10950 on: 08 April, 2019, 06:52:30 pm »
Bake means bake!

I appear to have rescued the bread using exactly this strategy   :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10951 on: 08 April, 2019, 07:02:40 pm »
Biscuit means biscuit
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #10952 on: 08 April, 2019, 07:18:51 pm »
Brexit means Brexit mmm oh eerrrrrr........ ::-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

« Reply #10953 on: 09 April, 2019, 04:57:59 pm »
The mothership have finally noticed that I've been expensing my home internet since the days of steam (it's apparently a service these days, like electricity and gas, so they don't cover it, which proves modern life is rubbish).

All I need now is for EE to notice they've not billed me for data for last half a decade.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10954 on: 10 April, 2019, 05:16:53 pm »
This afternoon I be editing some scripts of a conference call about fish (!!), made by machine transcription. It's ridiculous. It interprets every pause as a new speaker, adds extra words where there are none, leaves sentences out, but most of all it has no sense of context. The name Elena becomes "a lender" and the best one so far (only twelve minutes into an hour's conference) is "I went to Tibet, part of Africa."

Still, this is the future and I suppose it keeps me in work for a time at least.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10955 on: 10 April, 2019, 05:24:59 pm »
Yeah, lack of context is where they always flounder.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10956 on: 10 April, 2019, 06:27:15 pm »
Yeah, lack of context is where they always flounder.
:hand: ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10957 on: 10 April, 2019, 07:10:59 pm »
"Bull sharks" auto-transcribed as "bullshit hawks".  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10958 on: 11 April, 2019, 07:52:42 pm »
This afternoon I be editing some scripts of a conference call about fish (!!), made by machine transcription. It's ridiculous. It interprets every pause as a new speaker, adds extra words where there are none, leaves sentences out, but most of all it has no sense of context. The name Elena becomes "a lender" and the best one so far (only twelve minutes into an hour's conference) is "I went to Tibet, part of Africa."

Still, this is the future and I suppose it keeps me in work for a time at least.
Another one today on the more normal topic of media, marketing and advertising, but it's got horribly confused by Kenyan accents. Corporate finance guy says "Our cash of course has gone up as well due to better work in capital management," which the autoscripting machine has put down as "Our cash of course has gone up as well. Uh, do do better next fucking government."  :D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10959 on: 11 April, 2019, 08:53:38 pm »

Years ago I read a  Frank Muir and Dennis Norden piece, presumably written for "My Word!". It involved an aerial photograph, the photographer's  girl friend called Ella and a photo interpretation unit. There was confusion whether the photograph was of the girl friend or of a mountainous country between Nepal and China.  Or as they put it: "This creation is Tibet, or part of Ella."
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #10960 on: 13 April, 2019, 10:39:23 pm »
There’s a crack appeared in the car windscreen.  Not in front of the driver’s face, but more than a chip. The online repair booking says Thursday. A phone call says Tuesday. Good thing  we didn’t have two days of shuttling kids around the country planned. Oh...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10961 on: 14 April, 2019, 01:43:06 pm »
BT decided to meddle with my landline at around 08.50 today, which wouldn't have mattered as our phones are disconnected at that time
BUT
This caused burglar alarm to arm and beep
which caused David to wake and moan.
I said I'd investigate,
Alarm control panel shows RED locked padlock and reads AWAY

Tried to reconnect phone.
Cat 1 now demands food.
Feed Cat 1 who summons Cat 2.
Attempt to phone burglar alarm folk.
Phone is dead.

Decide to go back to bed. Disarming alarm would make it beep and annoy David.

Landline reconnects.
Cat in garage activates burglar alarm.

NOISE NOISE NOISE!
David manages to speak to alarm folk on phone which now works.

We forget half our passwords.
Silence is restored.

David now has tinnitus...

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #10962 on: 14 April, 2019, 06:49:06 pm »
Why oh why do people think that the percentages of two related data points (ie percentage of males and females) are best represented graphically in a pie chart?  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

essexian

« Reply #10963 on: 15 April, 2019, 11:31:59 am »
Okay, we have cheese strings....  :sick:   Cheese sauce, cheese itself and now, cheese screws.....

What am I talking about.... wood screws which are so soft that its like they are made of cheese. A total waste of time trying to screw them in as the head just rounds and almost impossible to take them out again.

It can't be beyond the wit of personkind to make screws which are fit for purpose....can it.... :facepalm:

« Reply #10964 on: 15 April, 2019, 11:54:16 am »
Made in China and imported by the container load.  I always use pozi screws these days, never a slot head.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #10965 on: 15 April, 2019, 03:15:44 pm »
Made in China ……...

Of Chineseium.  Natch.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10966 on: 15 April, 2019, 03:33:00 pm »
Made in China and imported by the container load.  I always use pozi screws these days, never a slot head.

Sounds like a racial (or other) insult. Oi, slot-head!

Cue Miss Hissy: "they're not called slot-heads these days, they've got Low-Phillips-Coefficient Syndrome". Oh, sorry.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10967 on: 15 April, 2019, 04:32:31 pm »
GKN made ubiquitous quality fixings in the day. Don't think they make screws any more.

« Reply #10968 on: 15 April, 2019, 04:47:38 pm »
GKN made ubiquitous quality fixings in the day. Don't think they make screws any more.

It was in the GKN factory in Birmingham that I saw one such container load of Chinese manufactured screws, and that was around 30 years ago.  At the time the factory was still making the machine screws used by Black and Decker, but the woodscrews were imported. And were so oil soaked that the cheap cardboard packaging had disintegrated in transit so they had a full container load of loose screws.

It was I believe the Heath Street Mill in Smethwick...

https://www.theurbanexplorer.co.uk/gkn-shadow-factory-tunnels-smethwick-birmingham/

The tunnels originally took lay shafts, and they in turn drove belts which went up through the floor to the various machines.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10969 on: 19 April, 2019, 10:37:22 am »
I just dropped my LEL mug on the kitchen floor and smashed it :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10970 on: 19 April, 2019, 03:24:58 pm »
 :'( :'( :'(

« Reply #10971 on: 22 April, 2019, 08:48:47 pm »
I'm trying to book a family holiday somewhere sunny. I wish places didn't all open with a picture of a pool - they all look the bloody same.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #10972 on: 25 April, 2019, 05:15:26 pm »
Might need a tin hat here.  I live in a small village, well, it was a small village.  But over the last 3 or 4 years it's become 40% bigger.  There are no jobs here, the farms all run on minimal labour and the new villagers all get into their cars and drive to the nearby towns for work.  I don't really object as the new population has helped the local businesses grow and become more sustainable, and that has to be good.  Except that the planners are muppets - why build loads of new houses in villages where there are no jobs?  WTF??  And they've had to massively extend the primary school, and there's talk of having to move the doctors surgery (purpose-built about 20 years ago) to another new-build, because of all the extra patients.  And the hot topic is car parking - which the local councillors say they will fix.  Where?  How are you going to magic new land near the village centre when it's already fully developed?

OK, people have to live somewhere, but why not build those houses near the major employment areas, and where you could bus or cycle to work?  Why did we move here 30 years ago?  Because my doctor wife was working in the local community and it didn't matter much to me as I was all over the UK and other countries for work anyway.

But (and this is my point) when I walk into the local barber, the only barber, to find it's now an hours wait, that's going too far.  It used to be the case that the single barber, the owner, would get you a cut after maybe a 20 minute wait.  Now there's him and 3 or 4 girls cutting, and it's an hours wait! They are all flat out and there's no room for any more people cutting.  The place is full. I may be retired, but I'm not sitting reading classic car magazines for an hour when I could be doing something more productive.  And I deliberately waited until the schools had gone back so that there would be less of a queue.  My wife frequents the ladies hairdresser (and they do cut men's hair) and tells me to go there as you have to make an appointment, but there's no way I'm paying £30 for a cut.

My only hope is to wait until next week, when people who maybe were taking advantage of a bank holiday week have gone back to work.

And don't get me started on 'Italian' style freeform parking in the High Street (I'll only be a minute - yebbut that big tractor and the silage machine now can't get down the High St and so he's blocking up traffic both ways, because of your inconsiderate parking), and the litter chucked around on our hitherto near-pristine local footpaths.

And breathe.....

« Reply #10973 on: 25 April, 2019, 05:39:30 pm »
This ^^^^ there is a lot of it about.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10974 on: 25 April, 2019, 10:16:01 pm »
I didn't realise you lived in Llandysul.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.