Author Topic: Boxcryptor, Permissions and Different OS  (Read 1071 times)

Boxcryptor, Permissions and Different OS
« on: 02 January, 2021, 12:27:25 pm »
I have installed Boxcryptor Portable on my Linux system, and a small professional group I am part of is also planning to open a separate Boxcryptor account that a number of the group can access.

Before the group gets up-and-running with this, I have been getting used to Boxcryptor and the way it works for me.  I downloaded and installed it as root, and have been invoking it as root.  This is, I think, giving rise to two issues:

1)   When, within an encrypted folder, I edit a document, I obviously get a version of the relevant program (LibreOffice Calc or Writer in my case so far) which has been invoked by Boxcryptor in a version as superuser, which in itself wouldn’t be too bad, but I lose the menu at the top of the screen for some reason, and I lose all the tweaks I made to LibreOffice in the non-superuser version.

2)   Boxcryptor seems to suggest editing documents like this is not a good idea because of sync issues, and recommends decrytping the document, downloading it to the local machine, editing it, then uploading it again and re-encrypting it.  That makes sense, but when I have a look at a downloaded and decrypted document, I cannot open it, as I do not have root privileges at that point.

Not only does this have practical issues for myself around editing documents stored in this way, but it also has implications as our professional group wishes to be able to access and edit documents stored via a co-owned Boxcryptor account, ie if I have stored a document there as a superuser on my system, presumably it would not be accessible by other users.  To add further complication, I am using Linux, while my colleagues will be using Windows machines.

So my questions come down to:
Should I change permissions on my downloaded Boxcryptor Portable program, so that it functions for me as a normal user?  If so, what would be the command to do that?  How do file permissions function across different operating systems? 

Re: Boxcryptor, Permissions and Different OS
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2021, 12:45:02 pm »
Looking at current file permissions, I issued the following command:

ls -l /home/martin/Software/Boxcryptor_Portable_Linux64_2.33.304
Code: [Select]
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 5 martin martin 4096 Oct  2 07:40 Boxcryptor
-rwxr-xr-x 1 martin martin  920 Oct  2 07:40 Boxcryptor_Portable.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 martin martin  443 Oct  2 07:40 README.txt

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2021, 01:09:49 pm »
I suspect that as Boxcryptor is running as root, the individual files it creates are owned by root.  You'd need to run chown on them as root (eg. "sudo chown martin:martin filename") for martin to access them.

I suspect that you'd be better off running Boxcryptor as martin.  This isn't about the permissions of its executable (other than that they need to be accessed by martin in order for martin to run them), so much as how you're starting the program.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2021, 01:11:49 pm »
Looking at their blurb it says you don't need admin rights to use.

Does it run without admin rights?

If you've got nothing valuable in there and still playing with it, suggest you wipe and reinstall but as a normal user rather than superuser.
Regards,

Joergen

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2021, 01:14:08 pm »
If you've got nothing valuable in there and still playing with it, suggest you wipe and reinstall but as a normal user rather than superuser.

This.

« Reply #5 on: 02 January, 2021, 01:25:34 pm »
Thanks all.

I thought I had to be superuser to install a program.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 02 January, 2021, 01:27:29 pm »
I thought I had to be superuser to install a program.

"It depends."

Normally, if you're installing to the system's directories (/usr/bin and the like), you do.  But some programs (particularly those not packaged by the OS vendor) work in a stand-alone capacity with everything in one directory, and can reasonably be installed in a user's home directory for situations where the user doesn't have root access.

Either way, installing and running aren't the same thing.  After all, you run programs installed and owned by root as martin all the time.

« Reply #7 on: 02 January, 2021, 04:03:19 pm »
I seem to have got this sorted now.

Boxcryptor isn't a program, but a script.  I think the problem arose because I was invoking it as superuser.

I've had to delete all the folders previously created, and create new ones having invoked the script as me, not superuser.

« Reply #8 on: 02 January, 2021, 04:04:49 pm »
Still leaves the question - do file permissions transfer over to Windows and MacOS systems?

« Reply #9 on: 02 January, 2021, 04:41:50 pm »
Typically no, but it depends how you do the transfer. If you, an ordinary user, download files from a server then you can only create local files owned by your user. If the server gives you the file the local file you create will be owned by you. However, if you get the files via some process running as root/admin then that process can create files that you as an ordinary user cannot acess. The other option is something like google docs where the files stay on the server, and then the server enforces permissions irrespective of the local system.