Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391195 times)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #475 on: 09 June, 2013, 09:27:06 am »
It's a populaire, minimum speed is at the org's discretion.
I'd go with what's on the brevet card, generally.

Cheers. Ah well - either way, we got back in time. Just that the last leg was a little too "timetrialesque" for my liking!  :facepalm:

« Reply #476 on: 11 June, 2013, 09:30:58 pm »
Q: What happens if you're out of time at an intermediate control on an Audax? Is it game over?

All of these assume that the whole ride was completed in the time limits, but it was just one control where the rider was late. There was also no "good reason" (i.e. stopping to help an injured rider) for being late; the rider was just slow or had various mechanicals.

Variants to consider:-

It was a manned control but the controller had gone home after official closing time, but you get some local proof-of-passage and carry on anyway?
What if it's an unmanned control and the receipt says you were just a few minutes out (and the clock could be inaccurate)?
What if it's an unmanned control and the receipt, with the correct time, says you were hours out of time?
Is it any different on DIY rides?
Is it any different on Perms?

What about being very late for two controls but clawing it back by the end?

Factual questions and answers only.  Debate not needed.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Hillbilly

« Reply #477 on: 11 June, 2013, 10:55:35 pm »
Control opening and closing times are printed on the brevet card, and should be adhered to.

The following is unofficial, based on anecdotal experience and in no way guaranteed to reflect your own experience if you find yourself in the position.  If in doubt, stick to the above paragraph!

However, AUK is a pragmatic organisation that seeks to recognise effort where possible.  So, provided the ride is done within the overall time limits, it would not be unexpected for the intermediate control times to be interpreted laxly.  Which makes sense, as for more events the intermediate control distance (and so the open/close times) are generally rough and ready, and only the finish control is given any great scrutiny when setting up the event.

Often it boils down to the organiser.  Some are sticklers for the rules, whereas others will adopt a flexible attitude.

But don't take the piss - show an effort to get to the control in time and, if running late, let the organiser know so he can inform intermdiate controllers.

So, in order of variants:

- Get proof of control and carry on (but if you contact the organiser, the controller may stick around)
- Likewise.  A couple of minutes is usually treated with a blind eye
- This gets a little more tricky.  You may need to justify why you were hours out of time.  In practice, you are either likely to be viewed as taking the piss (and so get told where to go) or not be in a position to finish in time
- Not for me to say, but my observation is that if you don't take the piss, you will be ok
- Not really.  More down to the organiser you are dealing with.  Some are ball breakers.  Others have a lassez faire attitude.

Hope that helps....

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #478 on: 05 July, 2013, 01:18:08 pm »
Who do I need to contact to get AAA points added to my DIY route.

I believe it's worth three AAA.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Hillbilly

« Reply #479 on: 05 July, 2013, 01:36:59 pm »
Who do I need to contact to get AAA points added to my DIY route.

I believe it's worth three AAA.

DIY by GPS or by paper?

If DIY by GPS, the DIY organiser will check if it is eligible for AAA when you submit the ridden track (i.e. post-event).  If their software suggests it meets the minimum rate of climb, they will forward it to the AAA man (Steve Snook).  If the software suggests it isn't hilly enough, but you think it is, then you need to ask them to forward it to Steve.  When submitting the track to your DIY organiser, it helps if you point out that you think it is AAA eligible.

AAA points are not available for DIY by brevet card (so called "traditional" DIY).

Note that you can't do a traditional DIY and then submit a GPX track afterwards to get points allocated.  It is one or the other.

So the long and short is "if you want the AAA points you suspect it is eligible for, enter the ride as a DIY by GPS".

Full details at the AAA man's website:  http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/audaxaltitudeaward/typesofevents.html

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #480 on: 05 July, 2013, 01:43:36 pm »
Cheers Billy!

It's trad so lots of hills & bugger all AAA for me then :(
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

Hillbilly

« Reply #481 on: 05 July, 2013, 02:39:42 pm »
No worries.  A glimmer of hope might be the reference I made to submitting GPX files post event.   It may be Steve has relaxed the requirement in that case, as the traditional DIYs were excluded because Steve would have had to contour count or similar (although it would beg the question "why not do as DIY by GPS").  A definitive answer would come from the fingertips of Steve, who's email address is on audax.uk.net (although he may not be available for a rapid response...)

« Reply #482 on: 07 August, 2013, 03:24:04 pm »
Who should I contact to get an SR recognised?  Mine does not appear on the AUK website, presumably because I used ECEs.  I did a variety of 200s, my 300 was the November Galashiels (Guy Fawkes) ECE'd, my 400 was the Easter Arrow and my 600 was the Elenydd ECE'd.  Or am I mising something?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #483 on: 07 August, 2013, 06:29:16 pm »
ECEs should be OK. However, there have been quite a few small oddities with them. Do you have a '6' in the points column of your season results? and a '3' (arrow should be no problem)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #484 on: 07 August, 2013, 06:40:39 pm »
Who should I contact to get an SR recognised?  Mine does not appear on the AUK website, presumably because I used ECEs.  I did a variety of 200s, my 300 was the November Galashiels (Guy Fawkes) ECE'd, my 400 was the Easter Arrow and my 600 was the Elenydd ECE'd.  Or am I mising something?

I had to contact the recorder to get my 300+ECE sorted into a 600 - do they appear as separate dates in the results?  That's probably the thing - Allan tweaked them to be on the same date and the software picked up the 600 from there.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #485 on: 07 August, 2013, 06:47:00 pm »
While I'm here (and reminded):
Thanks to the Recorder/whoever for getting my Belgian 1200 in - and quickly.

(Another SR, I think that's 7 - and I've done more 1000km+ rides than calendar 400s.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #486 on: 07 August, 2013, 06:49:32 pm »

(Another SR, I think that's 7 - and I've done more 1000km+ rides than calendar 400s.)

Congrats.

I also have the same stat on calendar 400s (and I've only done 3 1000km+ rides) - I flipping hate 400km - stupid distance. 
Right! What's next?

« Reply #487 on: 08 August, 2013, 06:28:25 am »
Anyone know if the recorder can be contacted by email?  I don't like pestering on the phone and it's a lot easier than writing a letter.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #488 on: 08 August, 2013, 07:19:17 am »
Anyone know if the recorder can be contacted by email?  I don't like pestering on the phone and it's a lot easier than writing a letter.

You can use the contact form on the auk website.

Allan has been super helpful on the couple of occasions I have contacted him.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #489 on: 08 August, 2013, 07:27:10 am »
Of course - thanks.  Also nice to see you last week, I think we met up on the first day of LEL as we blasted northward, with that delightful tailwind.  How bright eyed and bushy tailed we all were at that point!

« Reply #490 on: 20 August, 2013, 06:23:20 pm »
On the AUK calendar, the "Region" filter doesn't seem to always correspond with where rides are, geographically. (E.g. if I select Scotland, the list it comes up with includes some rides in England, and misses off some in Scotland).

Am I missing something? ???

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #491 on: 20 August, 2013, 06:34:07 pm »
As I recall it goes by where the organiser lives which can be the other side of the country.  For example if you look at all the Cambrian series (i.e. Welsh) permanents, it tells you they all start from Basingstoke! (Where Colin Bezant lives).  ::-)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #492 on: 21 August, 2013, 01:37:55 pm »

Congrats.

I also have the same stat on calendar 400s (and I've only done 3 1000km+ rides) - I flipping hate 400km - stupid distance.

Ditto.  5 1000km+, 3 Calendar 400s (my first and two in PBP years).  If I do a 400 it is usually a lunchtime to lunchtime perm and have plans to do another couple of the Cambrian series.  I guess the next 400 Calendar event will be in 2015
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #493 on: 09 September, 2013, 05:39:56 pm »
Can I do a 200k with just 2 intermediate controls  ???

Amington
Newark on Trent
Ashbourne
Amington

Comes out around 130miles.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

« Reply #494 on: 09 September, 2013, 05:46:42 pm »
If the shortest distance between those controls still adds up to 200k +, as you suggest, I don't see why not.  There might be a problem if one was one was only 20 or 30k from another but that doesn't appear to be the case.  Why not just submit it to your DIY organiser and see?

« Reply #495 on: 09 September, 2013, 05:57:57 pm »
Amington
85km
Newark on Trent
75km
Ashbourne
50km
Amington
(distances per gmaps walking)

First leg is a little outside the "guideline" maximum of 80km, but I'd be surprised if your local DIY organiser had a problem with it.

Wal

« Reply #496 on: 09 September, 2013, 10:35:53 pm »
When does the new 2013-2014 start? I have been trawling through the AUK website and not finding that nugget of information...!

Thanks in advance for any response to this...

W.

« Reply #497 on: 09 September, 2013, 11:22:58 pm »
1st October. It's probably in the handbook.

Wal

« Reply #498 on: 10 September, 2013, 09:19:13 am »
1st October. It's probably in the handbook.

Cheers!

Hillbilly

« Reply #499 on: 10 September, 2013, 09:24:36 am »
The "when does the season start" question pops up so frequently, it makes me think AUK should put something on the front page of the website.  Or in an FAQ.