Author Topic: Gas vs wood fuel technical question  (Read 15759 times)

Re: Gas vs wood fuel technical question
« Reply #125 on: 29 January, 2016, 03:11:34 pm »
Bit of ash and some vinegar, not malted!
Well you could use malted it would work but your house would smell like a chip shop :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #126 on: 30 January, 2016, 10:19:37 am »
My Clearview stove must be getting on for ten years old now and still has the original glass. I don't clean it often because the design burns off any deposits within twenty minutes of lighting the fire, but I do clean it if the corners are a bit mucky and we are trying to make the lounge look good for visitors. (Don't want them to see how we really live!) For that I just gently rub with the sponges we use on non-stick pans and the glass is clear in a few minutes. No detergents or anything else.

The only reason the glass gets grubby at all is because we turn the fire down very low to smolder through the night, and that way it burns less clean and does not have the heat to burn deposits off the glass.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #127 on: 31 January, 2016, 10:27:52 pm »
Oh hurrah, I finally haz quote :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #128 on: 31 January, 2016, 10:35:42 pm »
From the smiley, I'm guessing the number of zeros on the end is reasonable?

I've just had to accept a quote for the replacement of the fence around Feanor Towers, which did not survive the last storm.
The number of zeros was somewhat disappointing.

Once again, it's being undertaken by Roy Cowie ( By Appointment, supplier of verge-trimming to Brenda etc etc ).
I reckon  I need to give them a fancy plate too, at these prices.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #129 on: 31 January, 2016, 10:43:41 pm »
Yes, much more like it. I just haz to decide between squirrel or swift and brick or 'plaster' opening. Currently thinking sqrl & brick. Pingu Towers isn't really minimalist enough to worry about the plaster effect.... :facepalm:

Yeess, Aberdeen =zero central

Not going for a moat, drawbridge and gun emplacements then? ;)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #130 on: 07 February, 2016, 05:45:26 pm »
So, what's the damage then ?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #131 on: 07 February, 2016, 06:08:37 pm »
Me? Approx 3 big ones including a floating oak beam mantle and a slate hearth. It's not going to be til the end of April unfortunately, so I predict we will be having a heatwave in May ;D

One of my colleagues is getting someone else to install a stove next week for around £2.5K, but their installer only sells Boru stoves. Which given they don't seem to exist on whatstove.co.uk I wasn't about to rush to follow suit on. "That's the only brand he sells so he must rate them" she said. Err, ok then. Nothing to do with profit.....

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #132 on: 07 February, 2016, 08:42:59 pm »
That's a bit better, but I've got to ask, what's a floating Oak beam ?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #134 on: 16 December, 2017, 07:16:52 pm »
Thought I would briefly resurrect this thread for an update.
This year I'm finding the %rh is much lower, so much so that I thought my dehumidifier had died last week, it's just too low for it to be running properly. Currently sitting at 49% which is pretty good for here,  considering I've just finished cooking. The washing I'm drying in the hall is drying much more quickly than before....

Pingu has pretty much been sitting around in shorts and t-shirts every evening though :D

« Reply #135 on: 17 December, 2017, 01:35:46 pm »
Just thought to give an update on our Charnwood 6 stove.

We had the multifuel grate removed in August when the unit was serviced and the lum swept which in turn produced literally a handful of soot.

Since then there is a noticeable improvement in the amount of heat and the length of time the stove stays going. Pre August the stove was stone cold at 6am. The other day I rattled the ashes, threw on some kindling and gave it full air and at 10-30am it took off again. Awesome. We frequently cook supper on it and have a kettle on it full time to save on washing up water. If we open up the living room doors it basically heats the house.

Pleased? Just a tad... ;)

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #136 on: 24 December, 2017, 10:13:23 pm »
Thought I would briefly resurrect this thread for an update.
This year I'm finding the %rh is much lower, so much so that I thought my dehumidifier had died last week, it's just too low for it to be running properly. Currently sitting at 49% which is pretty good for here,  considering I've just finished cooking. The washing I'm drying in the hall is drying much more quickly than before....

Pingu has pretty much been sitting around in shorts and t-shirts every evening though :D

That's promising. How's the gable end doing ?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #137 on: 24 December, 2017, 10:29:39 pm »
Not bad. Sometimes it feels a bit damp up in the loft on the wall, but there's no water running down it. I have wondered about getting the elephants foot caps on the other chimneys swapped for a 'hat'.
That discoloured/damp patch in my lounge alcove is still there though  :-\