Author Topic: Boris Bike Survey for OSM  (Read 1023 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Boris Bike Survey for OSM
« on: 18 August, 2010, 04:51:17 pm »
The London Cycle Hire Scheme is a go! It started 30th July 2010. It's a point-to-point cycle hire scheme in central London, with hundreds of docking stations which now need to be mapped.

Details: WikiProject United Kingdom London Cycle Hire - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Quick-n-dirty map: London Cycle Hire Map
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: Boris Bike Survey for OSM
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2010, 05:07:12 pm »
There's an official list of TfL Cycle Hire Locations at data.london.gov.uk but unfortunately I don't think the TfL Transport Data Service license is compatible with use in OSM.

It's unfortunate that the license seems to not allow the data to be used in a way compatible with the OSM.  I think this is really because the license is really about accessing a live data stream, whereas the information wanted is really just a static list of lats, longs and names.

It's possible that if someone asks TfL, they may be willing to release this particular set of information under a less restrictive license.
Actually, it is rocket science.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Boris Bike Survey for OSM
« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2010, 09:00:02 pm »
Hopefully they'll put up an open API that will give live capacity etc (as, er, I thought they had at first  :-[ ). 

In the meantime, nobody can prohibit recording of the ground truth.   :smug:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.