Author Topic: Garmin Auto Archive  (Read 1516 times)

Garmin Auto Archive
« on: 18 August, 2010, 04:39:18 pm »
On my trip to Georgia with my new Oregon 450t, without PC access,  I put faith in the auto archive feature which saves all tracks to the local card. When I looked a the drive, sure enough there was a gpx file for each date. So far so great.

Geotagging photos with geosetter, all I did was to point it to the directory and didn't take much notice of ones that didn't match. However, looking for individual hikes, I now see that chunks of them have disappeared, without any logic, and yes I know I had the device on and I was watching the track so I know it recorded.

Anyone else experienced this?

Grrrr

Re: Garmin Auto Archive
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:45:39 pm »
Don't know the Oregon but my Garmin nuvi 1490 seems to save 10 track files.  Almost caught me out recently but I did have a pc and copied/backed up the day's files most evenings.

Just checked gamin support - it is 20 tracks for my 1490.  Also depends on the number of points per track.

"Your nuvi or zumo can store 10,000 points before it begins the process of archiving additional logs.*  Beyond 10,000 points the device moves the oldest trip data into an internal archive file. Up to 20 archive files can be stored internally on the unit. This means, depending on space available, that the device can store over 200,000 points of trip data."

« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2010, 09:31:44 pm »
Yeah, officially the Oregon saves up to the drive capacity, which is nice and one of the reasons I lashed out on it before this trip. That (with auto archive) is working. what I'm struggling with is where some bits of track are, there appear random chunks out. Some I reckon is where it loses satellite, other bits need careful poking around to find, and others plain aren't there.

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2010, 04:56:22 pm »
It was not immediately obvious to me that each profile allows most things to be set. I initially lost tracks because I was using a profile not set to record tracks.

There is a lot to discover about the Oregon, and the manual is useless.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2010, 05:33:42 pm »
Yes what would be ideal is every time you alter a setting, you have the option to alter 'just for this profile' or 'across all profiles' - that for me would make the whole profiles thing more useful than the way its implemented at present.

But it would go against the whole UI ethos of the touchscreen types, which is a much simplified set of options compared with older models.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2010, 08:26:42 pm »
Partly because of that I've been using it as plain vanilla as possible as I didn't want to screw up for the holiday. Very impressed with the overall performance and usability, though.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2010, 08:38:05 pm »
The profiles are stored in text files, so you can do your profile by copying and pasting with the pc while the GPS is plugged. For instance copy and paste your preferred profile, rename it and just tweak a few settings. I have done this 6 months ago so can't remember the exact steps but it wasn't difficult. I now have 3 profiles: Audax - Commuting - Geocaching. I should add a "Audax night" as switching profile is easier than adjusting the backlight. Mine is a Dakota but it is the same software as the Oregon I think.
Chief cat entertainer.