Author Topic: Dauntsey Dawdle 400 21 May  (Read 1057 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Dauntsey Dawdle 400 21 May
« on: 19 May, 2022, 09:43:37 am »
Anyone else riding this.  Has a lot of my local roads so looking forward to it.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Re: Dauntsey Dawdle 400 21 May
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2022, 10:23:05 am »
Rode it in 2019, enjoy and enjoy the arrivee beer 🍺 assuming it’s laid on again. Got really cold in Chilterns with freezing fog that year.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2022, 03:17:24 pm »
I've ridden it many times, including route checking it last year over two days with an overnight hotel stay in between. The second part of the ride is the 'reward' for completing the first half hills. Not riding this year as recovered from Covid recently and still re-building stamina. I'll be helping out at the finish with the food and beer in the early hours, though.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2022, 06:15:57 am »
I did it in 2019 too.  The climb before the first control was new to me, and is very pretty - unusually wild for Surrey/Sussex.
The hilly out / flat back combination works well.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2022, 01:48:20 pm »
I did it in 2019 too.  The climb before the first control was new to me, and is very pretty - unusually wild for Surrey/Sussex.
The hilly out / flat back combination works well.

I took my French boss up Bexleyhill a couple of years back (he's a really good triathlete and grew up near Nice).  His comment on the last steep bit - "Bl**dy 'ell, where are you taking me!!".  At least we don't take the most "scenic" route through Hawkley although the recent rain will have washed a whole host of new flints onto the roads around there.  And there is the "wailing and gnashing of gears" moment just before the Coombe Gibbet info where you turn off a 15% descent at a T-junction straight into a 15% climb.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2022, 07:58:34 pm »
That was fun.  Had a very pretty ride in the morning, going through some of the prettiest lanes in the south, although having to take care in places where sand, gravel, or flint had been washed out.  The advantage of the hills and woods was that we were mostly sheltered from the headwind until Pewsey. 

Got into a fast group after Cirencester and we stormed home on the flat roads. so got back an hour and a half earlier than I planned and could enjoy the beer at the finish.