Author Topic: Odd screw size on Amoeba Stem  (Read 945 times)

Odd screw size on Amoeba Stem
« on: 26 May, 2020, 03:47:03 pm »
No 1 son has decided he would like to ride around his local woods so 'please Dad can I have my mountain bike?'  It's been partially dismantled in the shed for the best part of a decade so needed some work. 

2 of the 5 screws (3 for bar cap and 2 for steerer) for the lurid green Amoeba stem were camming out (5mm hex) and were very difficult to tighten.  But they measured 6.8mm diameter, far bigger than the 5mm I would have expected and bigger than the 6mm I then assumed.  Therefore i couldn't replace them so mixed them up so there was at least one good screw for each function.

What thread would they be?  Any thoughts for a solution?

Thanks

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Odd screw size on Amoeba Stem
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2020, 05:11:16 pm »
6.8mm Major Diameter is consistent with an M7 screw according to the tables I just looked up online.
Comes in different thread pitches, so you'd need to use a thread gauge (or mesh it against known screws ).
Might it be that?

« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2020, 07:32:08 pm »
M7x1mm screw threads are used on quite a few stems, and these bolts are commonly ones that go rusty and really let the bike down, amongst other things.  I recently discovered that SJS sell M7 x 1 screws in stainless steel, so these bolts can be replaced with something better if necessary.

cheers

« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2020, 07:51:59 pm »
Thanks, I didn't realise that M7 was a standard size.  You live and learn!

« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2020, 07:54:51 pm »
Laverda Iota inlet manifold.
The only place I've ever encountered M7.

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:36:00 pm »
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/nuts-bolts/jtek-stainless-steel-stem-bolt-m7-x-20-mm-pack-of-4/

M7x1 is also found in split-rim alloys , and head studs in some obscure Italian car engines, amongst other things.

cheers

« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2020, 01:08:50 am »
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/nuts-bolts/jtek-stainless-steel-stem-bolt-m7-x-20-mm-pack-of-4/

M7x1 is also found in split-rim alloys , and head studs in some obscure Italian car engines, amongst other things.

cheers

Split rim compomotives. :thumbsup:
And some older Citroens, as I found out.
CX, BX, Xantia, XM to name a few.

They also used odd sized heads on the M6 bolts, some 9mm others 11mm.
On larger bolts they used 16mm instead of the more common 17mm & what size socket is missing from nearly all socket sets?

Yep! You guessed it 16mm. :demon:
£150 on a nice socket set (1/4", 3/8" & 1/2") and I still had to buy TWO 16mm sockets as one fitting needed a deep socket. ::-)

« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2020, 12:31:44 pm »
Tool sets are a law unto themselves.  I bought a couple of sets which are small enough to keep in the car, handy enough to be useful; a lot of 3/8" drive sockets (long series, spark plug and short series sizes), ratchet, extension bars etc, screwdriver bits, allen keys and combination spanners, all in a blow moulded case at a reasonable cost.   I intended to try and squeeze any omitted tools into the same case so the whole was a useful collection.  Some parts of the kit were good; for example every mm size from 6 to 19 in short series 3/8" drive sockets, full hex. Other parts of the kit were bizarre; so combination spanners in 11,12,13,14,15,16mm sizes were present, which meant I had to add 8,10, 17mm sizes.  8,10, 17mm sized combination spanners wouldn't have been the ones I'd have left out!

cheers