Author Topic: Transcontinental Race 2014  (Read 12812 times)

Re: Transcontinental Race 2014
« Reply #100 on: 27 August, 2014, 09:39:45 pm »
I was one of those lucky ones who took part in this year's event and I'd recommend it to anyone who feels able.  To give you some sense of the physical challenge, I averaged just under 285km per day and just over 10,000' of climb, completing the trip a few minutes over 13.5 days.  Many of you are far stronger riders than I am and without a doubt this event is within the reach of the average UK Audax rider.   I'm 56, work full time and ride regularly at weekends but not huge distances.  I have ridden a few Audax rides this year, mostly 200's, a few 300's and one 600.  My total mileage before the Transcontinental was just over 8,000km since Christmas, so nothing exceptional.  I completed the BCM in just under 36 hrs.

However, I agree with Chris P, this event presents some unique challenges and is about much more than the riding.  You need to be self-reliant and resourceful in sometimes very arduous circumstances.  I found the task of maintaining a focus on riding for long periods was very challenging.  After three or four hours trying to hold a tightrope line on the edge of a carriageway with lorries blasting ship-horn hooters and thundering inches past like express-trains, I needed a break.  It seems that Kristoff, as well as being a supreme athlete, can maintain this high level of focus, even when extremely sleep-deprived.

I chose the feral option, sleeping rough on all except one night.  This meant I could be more flexible about where my day ended and removed the need/time to seek out a hotel.  However, this option needs care to ensure you sleep well and stay dry.  Fortunately, I'm quite skilled in this and had good kit but I met others who clearly hadn't much previous experience in sleeping rough and some had a hard time as a result.

This was the greatest ride I have enjoyed and became the adventure I was looking for but I'm not sure I will do it again.  In particular, some of the roads were far from enjoyable, nothing like a UK Audax route.  They were sometimes grim, very poor surfaces and dangerous traffic (and of course there were the infamous dogs).

Mike Hall has created an event based on a fantastic ethos of self-reliance, integrity, simplicity and mutual support.  The camaraderie between riders, the organisers and the blue-dot followers brought an unexpected and remarkably powerful dimension to this event.  I hope that all of this survives into the future but it is inevitable that the event will change in character.  I dare say Mike is wrestling now with the challenge of whether to expand the event and if so, how to retain its unique character but I doubt it will ever be the same from one year to the next.  Mike compares the event to the earliest days of the Tour de France and look how that's evolved!  If you think this is for you and want to experience the incredible qualities and rewards of The Transcontinental, I'd get an entry in sooner, rather than later.

Shell (Leicester Forest CC)

« Reply #101 on: 30 August, 2014, 09:59:28 am »
I got in last Saturday after 14 days and 10 hours. My Garmin said 3306kms and 36000 and something meters climbed.

Like all the very long distance rides I have done - PBP excepted - I found it frustrating to pass through interesting places without the time to stop and explore, but the Swiss National Park, Bolzano, Ravenna, the whole stretch from Split to Montenegro and on into Peje (Pec) in Kosovo, Plovdiv and Edirne are all marked down to revisit another time.

I mixed hotels, ranging from very basic to posh, with feral. I found two nights out in a row was enough for me and by the way the hotel staff were staying out of smelling distance from me in Peje, enough for everyone else too.

I found three stretches very tough. Over the Fluela in Switzerland because of the wet and cold and its extended steep stretches. I got to the little town of Zernez just over the other side and decided to stop for the night, which meant I had no realistic chance then of catching the Ancona Split ferry on the planned Friday. I don’t regret this as it started to pour with rain again. I took the next pass on the way to Stelvio in the morning when it was almost freezing, but completely dry.

My plan for bad weather in the Alps was to buy clothing locally. This was a flawed strategy - in the small places en route to Davos it was a struggle to find a suitable shop and when I did the three times UK price for an item put me off. I eventually settled for a roll of bin liners, only to find at the top of the Fluela that they were half height (wtf). The kind lady in the cafe gave me newspapers to stuff inside my jacket.

I avoided the Kosovo-Serbia border as there was a good chance of not being allowed through, so had to go through the northern suburbs of Skopje. Laid out like Milton Keynes but with psychopathic driving - not fun. Still grumpy about it, there was a long stretch in the dark towards Bulgaria which was almost devoid of human life. This is the one time I found the ride doing my head in, but eventually villages returned and I found a hotel for the night (10 euros!) in a small town. The next morning as I rode out of town I saw a sign saying "Sofia 124" and knew for sure then I would finish.

Like most riders, I found Turkey surprisingly hard, especially as crossing the border felt like crossing a sort of finishing line. Mostly it was long undulations along the E-80 Motorway - which was tedious though I cheered up when offered the chance - declined - of man-on-man bj action. Rather than cut across the city I took a northerly route along a newly built dual carriageway that had much steeper and shorter undulations into the face of a very stiff headwind off the Black Sea. So stiff that I had to pedal downhill and at one point I realised I had done 4km in 30 minutes. The frustration of being so close but so slow almost had me in tears, not helped by the enormous numbers of gravel trucks (new building is going on around Istanbul on an epic scale) passing at speed within inches.

Otherwise some rough and some busy roads, some stretches where I could not follow the planned route for some reason or another and slow bits with some navigation problems going through big places like Paris and Zurich and the endless sprawl of resorts around Rimini. Apart from that, enjoyable and occasionally, like the flatlands of Italy, boring. I ground slowly up the Stelvio, but it looks worse than it is as a steep ramp is usually followed by a gentle one.

In terms of preparation, I have ridden 9000kms this year before the event, 8000 since March, mainly commuting (17 miles a day) and rides of 200-300kms. The Highlands, Glens and Western Isles Audax was almost a dress rehearsal and I learned a lot - like take much less - from it. I took a lot of care over route planning, bought good lightweight kit for the feral stuff and ensured my trusty titanium steed had new componentry, where needed, that would last the distance. Perfectly OK, but used chain, tyres and cables were replaced and the new ones tested the weekend before the start.

I only had minor problems en-route. I had two punctures, some problems with light connections which were tricky to fix in the dark, especially after I had lost my reading glasses and my chain came off a few times. I eventually worked out why, but didn't fix it. I put on new brake blocks for the Stelvio and in the pouring rain on the way down, found they were useless. At the first hairpin, I went gently off the end and onto the grass. The rest of the way I had to grip the brakes hard, till it ached, till I got to drier conditions near the bottom. Annoying as the old pads had worked perfectly down a wet Fluela descent.  I added a rucksack to my luggage in Troyes and for this sort of ride it was invaluable as a larder and as a place to quickly bung or retrieve clothing layers. In the hotter parts I tied it to my tri-bars during the day.

I had no body problems, except temporarily for my feet and ankles over some very poor surfaces, and I was able to sit in comfort all the way. As I write this a week later, I am still getting random attacks of the dozies and my legs feel tired. My resting heart rate is still higher than normal. I have a fantastic tanline on my legs and I lost 4kg. Oddly, I started getting leg cramps only after I got home, perhaps the effect of being on a plane.

Food and drink were rarely a problem. A couple of early morning bonks fixed when bakeries opened and I absolutely hated warm water and Nuun mix out of my bottles by the end. So much so that I threw the bottles away right at the finish. I virtually stopped eating bland carbs like bread and some days my diet was ice cream, chocolate, cheese and salami. Schweppes Tonic, which seems to be popular across the Balkans, became my drink of choice.

In Audax terms I'd say you need to be fit enough to do an 80 hour PBP - I am sure I was, but I rode it at a 90 hour PBP speed. I rarely really exerted myself, except for my night-time chased by dogs incident (I really did speed up there!) and the last hour or so when I realised I could make the party in time. I noticed my fat burning improving throughout the ride so I could get by on less and less and carbs and noticed how when I took in carbs I needed extra water for the glycogen - noticing this sort of thing a sign perhaps I was spending too much time on my own. Had I been back in my 20s I probably could have winged it like some of the younger riders did, but I needed the training and preparation.

As Chris and Shell have said it was much more than about the riding. I didn't meet other riders much, though Shell and I had a burger stand meal together near Dubrovnik - and none at all after Mount Lovcen - except early on and at the ferries, mountain controls and the end. When you did, it was instant camaraderie from the shared experience. At the top of the Stelvio I was there when George from Greece completed his second ride up (from the allowed side) and a group of Italians met their mates. At Lovcen lots of people arrived at more or less the same time. I was really pleased that before heading off to the airport on the Tuesday we were able to greet Jason Alcock and Martin McConnell as they finished.  The lady who runs the Albergo Folgore, the control at the Stelvio, was helpful to us riders in a way that went well beyond what you'd expect of a commercial facility and a heartfelt thanks to her.

It was a fantastic experience and I am really glad I did it, but at 61 I don't think I want to do anything like it again.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #102 on: 30 August, 2014, 10:34:49 am »
Chapeau Ian  :thumbsup:

A ride on the wild side.

« Reply #103 on: 30 August, 2014, 07:10:41 pm »
Like Marcus, I'm very tempted to have a crack at this in 2016.

Chris, Shell & Ian,

If any of you could post a bike set-up/kit list it would be much appreciated. I think it would make interesting reading on how you tackled this kind of challenge and see how it fits with my current ideas on what I would like to take.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #104 on: 30 August, 2014, 07:30:25 pm »
Great stuff Ian!  Quite some stats as well - long way and a lot of going up hills! 

I will be picking your brain no doubt.

This won't fit into 2015 with touring in Thailand and the French ride - so it'd be 2016 before I could give it a go.  The seed is sown and even if it didn't happen as part of this race, I will ride to Istanbul. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #105 on: 30 August, 2014, 07:52:43 pm »
Chris, Ian and Mike, thanks so much for sharing your stories, very uplifting indeed
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #106 on: 30 August, 2014, 08:10:03 pm »
Riveting stuff.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #107 on: 31 August, 2014, 09:43:04 am »
Fantastic ride Ian and a great write-up.  I have to say, your experience and feelings echo mine in so many ways.  It was a real pleasure meeting you and a joy to know that we both made it to the end.

"The seldom Killer", yes, happy to draft a list of kit with a few comments about value or otherwise.  I'll post here in the next few days.

Shell

« Reply #108 on: 01 September, 2014, 01:11:19 pm »
Great reports from both of you, it sounds like you had one hell of an adventure. Very inspiring, thanks for posting.

« Reply #109 on: 05 September, 2014, 12:27:24 am »
My blog of the race is here http://velocp.wordpress.com/transcontinental-race-2014/

I will do a kit review separately.
TransAfrika 2016

« Reply #110 on: 05 September, 2014, 08:28:09 am »
My blog of the race is here http://velocp.wordpress.com/transcontinental-race-2014/

I will do a kit review separately.

Thanks, a great read.
It strikes me how many riders you met on the road. Were you simply in the bulge or did everyone else experience this?

« Reply #111 on: 05 September, 2014, 10:18:37 am »
It strikes me how many riders you met on the road. Were you simply in the bulge or did everyone else experience this?

I suspect it was true for most riders, apart from the very fastest and slowest.  Initially you meet quite a few people as the field sorts itself out, overtaking people who have gone off too fast or being overtaken by faster riders who have take different ferry routes etc.  Obviously after the first few days you're just meeting people who are going at roughly the same speed.
TransAfrika 2016

« Reply #112 on: 05 September, 2014, 10:50:51 am »
Great read.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #113 on: 05 September, 2014, 12:55:10 pm »
A great read, thanks for sharing it.   :)
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #114 on: 05 September, 2014, 07:17:34 pm »
Brilliant stuff Chris. Great read.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #115 on: 06 September, 2014, 09:01:52 pm »
Excellent read Chris. Very inspirational.  Look forward to the kit breakdown too as considering something like this sometime next year.

« Reply #116 on: 08 September, 2014, 08:40:48 pm »
Chris, that was a monumentally great read. This bit had me rolling about in tears:

The main thing to realise about rural France is that it’s closed.  In the unlikely event that you encounter a shop or any form of eating establishment it will invariably be shut, unless of course its a pharmacy and then it will definitely be open.  All  towns and even small villages have multiple pharmacies which are always open.  So if you’re travelling across France with a serious medical condition you’ll be fine, just take your own food with you.

:thumbsup:
#makewattsnotwar

Andrew

« Reply #117 on: 09 September, 2014, 07:36:36 am »
Must admit that that bit had me chuckling too Pip! Because it's so darned true (around my way at least!)

What struck me about Chris's report was how achievable he made the whole adventure seem. Previously, I'd have thought 'no way' to something like this but Chris makes me feel it's something I could do.

« Reply #118 on: 08 November, 2014, 09:53:56 am »
Teethgrinder asked how popular this event could possibly be....

I was waiting to sign up at 8pm GMT last night when the server crashed due to volume of traffic (I believe).  Mike Hall put in a massive effort to find workaround solutions.  I believe he even put down his beer for a few minutes.  Eventually everything got back online, more or less.  The upshot?  250 places available, including 150 solos and 100 riding as pairs.  350 applications by the time it had all righted itself.  I think that may be a measure of potential popularity!

I've completed the questionnaire to the best of my ability, trying to exemplify the spirit of the race, and now just have to keep my fingers crossed until November 30th - when the announcement is made of who is in and who is not.

I sincerely hope I make the cut.  If not I think I'll plan a little transcon style jaunt of my own for a couple of weeks at the same time.