Author Topic: Transcontinental Race 2014  (Read 12810 times)

Re: Transcontinental Race 2014
« Reply #50 on: 14 August, 2014, 07:27:06 pm »
I think there is only 1 ferry a day, so the true racer would not consider it I reckon.
It all adds to the colour of the event watching the spiders web expand across Europe.
Is this just a metaphorical comment?

I don't see a view showing more than one rider's route - just positions. (Or full route for just 1 rider!)

When I go to http://www.transcontinentalrace.com/ I see a map of the current positions including a box over N.Africa with a play button that sets the maggots awriggling.  There is also a speed controller to make them wriggle faster.  You just have to imagine the spider's web.

Edit to add:  Further investigation shows that those with poor imagination can click on the 'T' button above the map to show the riders' tracks.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #51 on: 14 August, 2014, 07:50:03 pm »
I've seen last year's race, plotted on a map with all the routes on it.

Back to the ferries - it seems that Kristof took an "illegal" ferry ride today, and then doubled back so that it wouldn't be taken into account:
https://twitter.com/sportingkneads/statuses/499949918652743680

So there must be rules about which ones you can use or not.

Thanks, I was wondering what that was all about.  Saw his rather odd route when looking at the tracker earlier.  (I don't do twitter)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #52 on: 14 August, 2014, 08:05:10 pm »
There are rules about what can and cannot be used. Eurotunnel is against the rules according to one of the riders I was chatting to at the start. Ian Oli said he was using 2 ferries.
That Kristof bloke is going well!

« Reply #53 on: 14 August, 2014, 09:40:43 pm »
So there must be rules about which ones you can use or not.

There are, and the ferry Kristof Allegaert took was even explicitly banned in the rules.

via

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #54 on: 14 August, 2014, 10:25:28 pm »
For the spiders web view, go to the tracker far right.
Select the map layers blue tab
Tick the all riders tracks
The breadcrumb tracks of every riders route will show up, really shows up the route choices, and the navigation fun had by some

« Reply #55 on: 14 August, 2014, 10:29:49 pm »
If I understand the Italian in the Facebook link correctly he allready was on top of Mount Lovcen when he heard about the illegal ferry ride. So that's not only the extra distance but also about 2000m of climbing to be done twice.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #56 on: 15 August, 2014, 07:09:31 am »
Ian's last 24 hours have been a lot slower, with a 10h stop last night. Per
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #57 on: 15 August, 2014, 12:41:30 pm »
Ian's last 24 hours have been a lot slower, with a 10h stop last night. Per

Chatting to Ian at the start, I got the impression he was treating it more as an Audax than trying to race. He was planning on two weeks.
I doubt that he's the only one.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #58 on: 15 August, 2014, 12:54:40 pm »
Yep - I think that's always been Ian's plan.  Around 220-230km a day was the number that comes into my head. 

Heck of an adventure! 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #59 on: 15 August, 2014, 01:41:00 pm »
When I click the play button now it doesn't seem to run all the way to the current position, only up until Allegaert is in just reaching Croatia/Slovenia.  Anyone know why this is?  I'd like to confirm my feelings that the guys who went to Ancona actually made faster progress to Split than those who took the Croatian seaboard route.  My feeling is they gained a good few kms that way.  Race for 2nd place is getting pretty close - +/-30km only.  I also wonder whether the leader is catchable, seems an odd choice of route in the last 24 hours or so, in addition to the backtrack he had to make.  Winding about a bit when seemingly faster routes to Bulgaria are on the map.  I'm no expert mind!

« Reply #60 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:25:52 pm »
I think he is avoiding Kosovo and Albania.

Heading north the way he is enables him to dodge some mountainous areas and pick up valley routes all the way into Turkey.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #61 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:41:40 pm »
2nd place got a little closer last Night because Josh snapped a gear cable and did a period of single speed running, then had trouble finding a replacement. reported all good now and back up to climbing speed.

Rich Dunnet is a Diesel engine compared to Josh's tuned high power engine though so we shall see.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #62 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:48:53 pm »
When I click the play button now it doesn't seem to run all the way to the current position, only up until Allegaert is in just reaching Croatia/Slovenia.  Anyone know why this is?  I'd like to confirm my feelings that the guys who went to Ancona actually made faster progress to Split than those who took the Croatian seaboard route.  My feeling is they gained a good few kms that way.  Race for 2nd place is getting pretty close - +/-30km only.  I also wonder whether the leader is catchable, seems an odd choice of route in the last 24 hours or so, in addition to the backtrack he had to make.  Winding about a bit when seemingly faster routes to Bulgaria are on the map.  I'm no expert mind!

You might get a good idea tomorrow, as Leading lady Pippa has done Croatia and had about a 90 mile lead over Gaby in second. Gaby has taken the Ferry route. Guess a lot depends on your timing.
 I saw a message today that Andrew Allday was there this morning, so effectively he has a 24 hour stationary penalty.

Although personally I'm finding it hard to consider Gaby in second place as she has traveled the whole route with her partner, which has got to be considered as support not available to the other competitors, while the other ladies are truly solo. Not in the true spirit of riding solo.

« Reply #63 on: 15 August, 2014, 04:57:34 pm »
Agreed re: Gaby although I noticed earlier that the other half's tracker now shows him as a long way behind.  Seriously chicked by his own missus....hmmmm, glad it's not my ego.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #64 on: 15 August, 2014, 05:44:11 pm »
So Gaby may turn out to have been the Sherpa in this instance!

I prefer not to look at this as a race, and more as a shared adventure, but I understand your pov, SJR.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #65 on: 16 August, 2014, 07:42:10 am »
Generally in races there are no rules to say you cannot ride in the company of others in the same race (unless a TT), is this different Jack?

« Reply #66 on: 16 August, 2014, 08:07:44 am »
Steffen Streich is really catching up now. He took the Ancona ferry and is now in northern Albania. He's a lot faster as he used to be wwhen he rode LEL in 2001.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #67 on: 16 August, 2014, 08:18:07 am »
Generally in races there are no rules to say you cannot ride in the company of others in the same race (unless a TT), is this different Jack?
The race blog from last year discusses this. Its a good read!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #68 on: 16 August, 2014, 08:22:55 am »
RAAM has a "no draughting of other competitors" rule and they start alone or with their team.

Transcontinental was a mass start when Big Ben chimed 8.

« Reply #69 on: 16 August, 2014, 08:32:30 am »
Whats going on with Paris Michel ? Looks like a flight direct from Paris to Athens but not showing as scratched.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #70 on: 16 August, 2014, 09:39:34 am »
I think Paris Michel was listed earlier as withdrawn but continuing with ride, or something similar.

MattC: Agree with your point too.  I would certainly expect to be able to ride alongside and chat for some periods of time on a ride like this.  A shared adventure, as you rightly state.  However, if there is some prize or kudos associated with being 'first lady' in this event, billed as a 'race' then Gaby Leveridge has perhaps to admit that that cannot be her, or Jane Chadwick if it comes to it (not likely I don't think).

Anyway you slice it a fascinating adventure for all concerned, even those of us just watching.

Seems the Ancona ferry has worked out as a timesaver for the majority of those using it.  It has also given them a great chance to recharge themselves.  Streich has not stopped since he rolled off it nearly 30 hours ago!  I think he may be almost on 'home turf too' judging by one or two of the comments posted (part Greek??)

« Reply #71 on: 16 August, 2014, 01:30:52 pm »
Seems the Ancona ferry has worked out as a timesaver for the majority of those using it.  It has also given them a great chance to recharge themselves.  Streich has not stopped since he rolled off it nearly 30 hours ago!  I think he may be almost on 'home turf too' judging by one or two of the comments posted (part Greek??)

Steffen is German but he moved to Greece some time after riding LEL quite a few years ago.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #72 on: 16 August, 2014, 07:42:00 pm »
Whats going on with Paris Michel ? Looks like a flight direct from Paris to Athens but not showing as scratched.
emotional support, route planning and the plain confidence of being secure, its in effect exactly the same result as if you had a support vehicle but never used it. it changes your the way you approach the ride knowing you have back up.
if Gaby had ridden solo her route and pace would be vastly different.
Pippa has really struggled with the weather and being on her own

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #73 on: 16 August, 2014, 08:52:54 pm »
as an example check out the different states of the ladies in this video, titled where did you sleep from the top of the Stelvio.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=663344973735374&set=vb.415996748470199&type=2&theater

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #74 on: 17 August, 2014, 07:54:49 am »
He's won it! But it looks he's on his own, CC vehicle still miles from Istanbul.

Hello Kristof if you're reading yacf to kill time.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------