Author Topic: Hmmm, interesting, RE:Vuelta  (Read 5299 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Hmmm, interesting, RE:Vuelta
« on: 13 August, 2014, 02:00:37 pm »
http://www.lavuelta.com/14pr/en/noticias/noticia.html?id=290&e=1

Froome in, Wiggo out, Cav in, Contador in.

Could be interesting.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Re: Hmmm, interesting, RE:Vuelta
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2014, 02:54:20 pm »
I'm sure I read the Contador will not be riding, despite being on the long list, but can't find it on Cyclingnews now.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

tiermat

« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2014, 02:56:31 pm »
I read somewhere else, weeks ago, that he wasn't, but he obviously has been signed off fit to ride, if he is on the long list.

No G-Man, either, but then I guess he deserves a bit of a rest.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2014, 04:13:42 pm »
Add to the mix Nairo QUINTANA , and the relatively unknown quantity of Dayer QUINTANA, along with a strong team, and Movistar should ensure the race will be very entertaining in the mountains.

Cav's job looks a little easier with the key opposition players not currently registered.

Also, the list is provisional as Pozzovivo (AG2R) will not be riding as he crashed and broke his leg on a training ride last Sunday.

« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2014, 07:01:19 pm »
Local press here in Spain still has Contador as definitely not riding. Hill finish just around the corner from me in La Zubia so looking forward to that?

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2014, 08:19:40 am »
Aru is supposed to be in.

And Betancur ?

Some interesting uphill finishes to come.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2014, 10:20:33 am »
Contador has just put up on his Facebook that he is in.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2014, 11:59:12 am »
Contador has just put up on his Facebook that he is in.

Indeed  :thumbsup:

Should be most interesting indeed if he manages it.
Does not play well with others

« Reply #8 on: 14 August, 2014, 12:07:07 pm »

OK, I stand corrected. Looking forward to it even more now.

tiermat

« Reply #9 on: 14 August, 2014, 12:13:22 pm »
According to Road.cc he is not going for the overall title, but just stage wins.

Whether this is psychology or truth remains to be seen.

« Reply #10 on: 14 August, 2014, 12:47:50 pm »
And Betancur ?

He hasn't raced since April and is reportedly looking a little porky, but is currently supposed to be starting.

Ruth

« Reply #11 on: 31 August, 2014, 09:57:20 am »
This is the best Grand Tour this year, I reckon.  Proper racing.

tiermat

« Reply #12 on: 01 September, 2014, 09:47:48 am »
This is the best Grand Tour this year, I reckon.  Proper racing.

I agree, yesterday's stage was brilliant, all tactics and stuff.

I really do pity the poor guy who got the stage win (I am terrible with names, can you tell?), who was, at that point, in the red jersey.

Then Contador went and spoilt it all for him...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13 on: 01 September, 2014, 11:54:04 am »
The end of that stage needed something. 15-20km out with the peleton sitting 6 minutes down and seemingly happy to stay there was getting a little boring.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #14 on: 01 September, 2014, 11:59:53 am »
I still can't fully understand why Sky did so much work and gave the others a free ride.  If no one chased then everybody lost and I'm sure the other big teams would not have been content with that.

Nice show of power, but not much use when 2 of the main challengers ride off after a nice tow.

Hope the TT goes well for Sky.

« Reply #15 on: 01 September, 2014, 12:46:07 pm »

And Betancur ?

Currently 3rd last, over 2 hours down.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 01 September, 2014, 10:55:23 pm »
If you've been watching on ITV4 you'll have seen the speculation about Froome, crashes, and his "unusual" riding style.

This: http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/ is not new. But watching the Vuelta it's been rare to see Froome _without_ seeing him stare at his stem for a few seconds.

So I'm beginning to think he might be creating his own "bad luck" this year  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 03 September, 2014, 05:16:56 pm »
Talking of crashes ... Blimey!

I can't remember the last crash in a TT for a serious GC contender.

Pretty bonkers stage altogether - spare bikes carried on following Moto, only in the Vuelta!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #18 on: 03 September, 2014, 06:30:34 pm »
If you've been watching on ITV4 you'll have seen the speculation about Froome, crashes, and his "unusual" riding style.

This: http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/ is not new. But watching the Vuelta it's been rare to see Froome _without_ seeing him stare at his stem for a few seconds.

So I'm beginning to think he might be creating his own "bad luck" this year  :-\

I doubt he was staring at his stem when he crashed on the downhill section of the Dauphine (pothole not called by lead teammate?) and as I recall his first crash in TDF was due to another rider bringing him down which led to injuries that limited his ability to control his bike during the crash the day after when loads of riders were sliding about in awful conditions.  I did not see crash in Vuelta and I don't think the cameras caught it, but it was a day of 'slippy' roads as others came off that day.

I think he is having a bad year and I don't think he is creating 'bad luck' any more than Contador created his bad luck by coming off in TDF.  But, Roger Hammond will never let fact get in the way of a good story!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 03 September, 2014, 07:03:41 pm »
Contador's crash may well have been partly rider error too - I don't know.

It's a statistical game. You can pay no attention at all and have hardly any crashes. But clearly looking where you are going will - statistically - save you from more mishaps than otherwise, including some where the primary error was someone else's. It will also stop people blaming you for a run of very bad luck (which I agree may be the situation with Froome).

This: http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/image/62910526214
... is not good riding. By any standard.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #20 on: 04 September, 2014, 07:23:12 am »
Yesterday saw yet another interesting example of team tactics from Sky.   It is the first time I can remember at the start of the final climb on a stage where a team rider was giving his all on the front of the bunch while his team leader was yo-yoing off the back of the bunch.
That Froome managed to recover somewhat shows his determination rather than good team work.

Ruth

« Reply #21 on: 04 September, 2014, 07:58:51 pm »
Oof!  Ouch!

« Reply #22 on: 06 September, 2014, 03:04:32 pm »
It seems that some people think Ryder Hesjedal has a motor in his bike!  :o

This will disprove that theory. It's in Spanish but you just need to watch to the end, less than 1 minute long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aN7HjwZI-k0

« Reply #23 on: 06 September, 2014, 03:53:21 pm »
Working my way up to inferior.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 08 September, 2014, 06:53:29 pm »
Teh Guardian reckons there was "fisticuffs" during today's stage.... I await this evening's show....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.